Garmin Etrex 20 GPS

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Garmin Etrex 20 GPS

Post by RealNick » 26 Feb 2015, 10:08 am

I'll take the batteries for the GPS...

GPS doesn't help if your lying with a broken leg though so doesn't take the place of a PLB. They definitely get the :thumbsup:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by keg » 26 Feb 2015, 12:58 pm

If you have a garmin you can get some pretty cool map sets for free here
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com

I guess the garmin map protocol has some exploitable features that allow guys to create their own map sets for download to a garmin using BaseCamp. There is a whole group of guys that download survey maps from government sites and convert them to garmin map sets. I have the entire US Topo on my computer for when I go places. I checked and they have a few for Australia

These map sets are not copyrighted so there is no worry about violating a law it's just a bunch of guys who enjoy crunching code and making custom map sets.
keg
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by headspace » 26 Feb 2015, 8:09 pm

What did we do before we had GPS and PLB, plus any other acronyms you can dream up. I suppose a trail of bread crumbs back to camp is out of the question?
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 26 Feb 2015, 9:20 pm

headspace wrote:What did we do before we had GPS and PLB, plus any other acronyms you can dream up. I suppose a trail of bread crumbs back to camp is out of the question?
JD

Nah, the possums eat them.....
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 26 Feb 2015, 9:22 pm

I primarily use memory maps on my phone for bush navigation.
The Mrs was nice enough to buy me the high res vic topo maps for it a couple of years ago.

I also have a Garmin etrex 10, pretty basic, but makes for a good backup/ trip meter when hunting.

It is also handy to use as a speedo in my boat.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by portph » 02 Mar 2015, 8:03 pm

headspace wrote:What did we do before we had GPS and PLB, plus any other acronyms you can dream up. I suppose a trail of bread crumbs back to camp is out of the question?
JD

Just don't be the one unlucky SOB that doesn't come home that year.
Tikka T3 Lite in 300 Win Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter in 243 Winchester
portph
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gogetem » 04 Mar 2015, 4:59 pm

Thanks wild Goose for the informative post. Certainly helps someone like me researching for a hand held GPS for the bush. I was looking into Garmin 62s or if budged allowed the new 64s but based on your review It looks like this is what I wanted from my first handheld GPS.
.308, .223, .22, 12G o/u & a SxS
Gogetem
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Manimal » 05 Mar 2015, 12:55 pm

JD

Have some fun along the way and leave a trail of spent brass :lol:
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey