Compact hunting rifle accuracy and ranges

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Compact hunting rifle accuracy and ranges

Post by squirrelhunter » 14 Jan 2015, 1:06 pm

Gwion wrote:Mate, trying to find the regs to clarify; without much luck. I have been told this by Vic shooters previously, though when discussing carbines etc.

I know the Scout is responsible for some of this confusion.

You may recall the US version has the 16.5" barrel, but they had to release an 'Inernational' version that has the 18" barrel.

Some jumped to the conclusion on this that the barrel length was the reason the US version wasn't allowed, but it was actually due to the threaded barrel and flash hider not being able to be shipped out due to US ITAR regs.

They've since done a 16.5" barrel version with a different thread for international markets and they're sold here at that length :)
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 16 Jan 2015, 7:41 am

Here you go Melanie.

My rifle with 17.5" barrel.

shortened-mag-1.jpg
shortened-mag-1.jpg (136.77 KiB) Viewed 4107 times

And a couple of groups it shot yesterday (at 100m in 10Mph changeable wind) while starting load development for a new powder. The second and 6th groups shot for this new powder/case/seating depth combo.
BM8208-test-02.jpg
BM8208-test-02.jpg (153.05 KiB) Viewed 4107 times

BM8208-test-06.jpg
BM8208-test-06.jpg (149.56 KiB) Viewed 4107 times

Shorties can shoot OK! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by dorpel » 16 Jan 2015, 12:00 pm

squirrelhunter wrote:Some jumped to the conclusion on this that the barrel length was the reason the US version wasn't allowed, but it was actually due to the threaded barrel and flash hider not being able to be shipped out due to US ITAR regs.

They've since done a 16.5" barrel version with a different thread for international markets and they're sold here at that length :)

All because it had the same thread as a M16 or something so treated like a military firearm.

That's Australian gun control logic right there. :thumbsdown:
dorpel
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by melanie » 16 Jan 2015, 12:01 pm

Gwion wrote:My rifle with 17.5" barrel.

Shooting like that would make me a happy girl :D :drinks:
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal