Footwear for hunters

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Footwear for hunters

Post by headspace » 23 Jan 2015, 7:52 am

Footwear is of absolute importance to a hunter and I've spent a long time and worn out a lot of boots in the pursuit of the ideal. For a start, socks are just as important as the boots, and in hot weather having your feet getting too hot is a problem. Well for me it is anyway.

I love my Scarpa's but they are just too bloody hot in the north of NSW in Summer, so I've been looking at alternatives. The Australian issue boot is good because it's well ventilated and has very soft soles and good ankle support, but not everyone can rock up to the nearest Army base and get a pair. During a trip recently to Melbourne I dropped into the Gun Emporium and found a pair of Cabella's Dry Plus boots. they are nice and light, have a good grippy sole and don't get too hot. So far so good. Then visiting a mate in the bush west of Urunga I went to a market in Bellingen and there was a big stall selling socks made of bamboo. I'd already had a couple of shirts made from this so I thought I'd give the socks a go.

I've just spent all day traipsing around the New England country in this gear and didn't once get any hint of over heating in the feet. I'm just passing this on for your info in case you have the same problem.

JD :thumbsup:
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Footwear

Post by Norton » 29 Jan 2015, 1:50 pm

headspace wrote:For a start, socks are just as important as the boots, and in hot weather having your feet getting too hot is a problem.

Wrong socks are a f***ing nightmare.

They all feel find standing around the house or in the car. Once you're hiking though and you're boots going up and down over the wrong sock you find out quick you made a mistake.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 29 Jan 2015, 1:56 pm

BAMBOO SOCKS ARE THE BEST FOR WALKING IN.

ONCE YOU HAVE TRIED THEM YOU WILL USE NOTHING ELSE
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Mich » 29 Jan 2015, 2:12 pm

headspace wrote:I love my Scarpa's but they are just too bloody hot in the north of NSW in Summer, so I've been looking at alternatives.

Great boots.

Don't have the heat here either so can wear all year round.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Westy » 29 Jan 2015, 9:03 pm

Do they make Bamboo jocks???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Antie » 01 Feb 2015, 8:07 am

Westy wrote:Do they make Bamboo jocks???

Maybe check on of those "speciality" stores before you go camping next :P
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 01 Feb 2015, 8:09 am

headspace wrote:Footwear is of absolute importance to a hunter and I've spent a long time and worn out a lot of boots in the pursuit of the ideal.

:thumbsup:

I've just recently made the switch from old steel caps to modern light hiking boots with gortex and the rest.

Loving them. Never again with the steel caps.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 04 Feb 2015, 3:08 pm

Warrigul wrote:BAMBOO SOCKS ARE THE BEST FOR WALKING IN.

ONCE YOU HAVE TRIED THEM YOU WILL USE NOTHING ELSE

Can't argue with the padding. I feel like I'm cooking in them though :(
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Footwear for hunters

Post by Xerox » 04 Feb 2015, 3:09 pm

Adding it since it hasn't been said, don't forget to break your boots in around the house before you go on a big trek.

Make blisters and miserable days out due to wearing hiking boots for the first time on a full days walk.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Feb 2015, 4:37 pm

I wear a pair of Camo Thongs! :lol: I don't do a lot of walking these days - its more pull up somewhere get out walk a short distance and set up under a tree to whistle a fox or sit off a warren somewhere so no need for any fancy footwear to do that. I do have a couple of pairs of good boots but mainly wear those for cutting wood these days. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 05 Feb 2015, 7:40 pm

Recently got these guys.

Keen Ketchems, most comfy boots I've had.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey