Not convinced about rifle camo tape...

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Not convinced about rifle camo tape...

Post by Seik » 15 Oct 2013, 9:19 pm

Like the topic says, I'm not really convinced about the whole camo tape thing...

Unless you've got some fluro stock... Blued steel, Walnut, Synthetic isn't exactly stand-out from inside a bush.

Same for matte stainless barrels.

Surely a deer, pig or whatever you're hunting will see/hear/smell the person humping around in the bush well before a little rifle gives you up?

I don't know how you'd test this, but I'd love to know if anyone has an incident of lack of rifle camo tape causing them to lose an animal?
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Not convinced about rifle camo tape...

Post by oohsam » 15 Oct 2013, 9:22 pm

The same can be said for wearing camo.

One of the best deer stalkers I know wears a red jacket and black pants.
Who knows!

But the fact remains, guys with guns like to buy stuff for their guns! haha...
if its on the shelf, its gonna get bought!
http://gunhunter.com.au
Email alerts for used guns, Get an email when a gun/rifle you're looking for is listed. Instantly.
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Seik » 15 Oct 2013, 9:26 pm

oohsam wrote:But the fact remains, guys with guns like to buy stuff for their guns! haha...

:D That was my thinking.

The guy at my shop was talking it up, but seemed like something to just blow your money on :lol:
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Brute » 16 Oct 2013, 5:01 am

Seik wrote:The guy at my shop was talking it up, but seemed like something to just blow your money on :lol:

Somebody's working on commission :lol:
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Don10 » 16 Oct 2013, 10:19 am

oohsam wrote:The same can be said for wearing camo.

One of the best deer stalkers I know wears a red jacket and black pants.
Who knows!

But the fact remains, guys with guns like to buy stuff for their guns! haha...
if its on the shelf, its gonna get bought!

For hunting animals it is good to get an idea how they see. They don't see colours too well a bright orange blaze jacket would be a dull washed out grey to an animal. That is one reason why they rely heavily on their other senses. They detect movement more than the colour of an item. The only reason you want to cam up is to break up shape. remember things are seen by humans because of shape, shadow, spacing (regularity or unnatural spacing), movement , silhouette, shine, surface and colour . So all of these things should be considered for animals except for the last one.

Also of interest animals don't have the same UV filters that we have on our eyes. This means that they will see you light up when you wash your clothes in a washing powder that contains UV brighteners. You look like some disco retard to them.

So yea cam gun tape way low on the list
"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army. — Field Marsh Slim.
Don10
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Usurper » 16 Oct 2013, 12:46 pm

Don10 wrote:Also of interest animals don't have the same UV filters that we have on our eyes. This means that they will see you light up when you wash your clothes in a washing powder that contains UV brighteners. You look like some disco retard to them.

I'm picturing these deer sitting in a bush somewhere casually watching glowing hunters go by.

Thinking to themselves "Look at these idiots again..." :lol:
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Usurper » 16 Oct 2013, 12:47 pm

Don10 wrote:The only reason you want to cam up is to break up shape.

Hmm, that's a fair point for the tape though.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Don10 » 16 Oct 2013, 4:10 pm

Usurper wrote:
Don10 wrote:The only reason you want to cam up is to break up shape.

Hmm, that's a fair point for the tape though.

yes it is but the rifle is only a small part of it, before I would worry about it I would get one of the semi ghille suits that they sell. The ones that break up shape. Make sure my clothes weren't washed with UV brighteners, then make sure I didn't smell like I was walking down Queen St mall, then make sure I knew how to move around without making noise. then maybe I would worry about some way to break up the shape of the rifle a simple wrap of hessian that you can remove would do the trick there.

In all fairness I do have a rifle that has been ceracoted in a cam pattern I kinda feel that it would be hard to do a cam job with the tape that didn't look cheesy
"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army. — Field Marsh Slim.
Don10
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wheelbarrow » 17 Oct 2013, 8:00 am

I wondered when I saw the women's shooting hats which were bright pink :lol:
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42
Ruger Hawkeye Standard chambered in .270 Win
Wheelbarrow
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Press » 17 Oct 2013, 8:33 am

Wheelbarrow wrote:I wondered when I saw the women's shooting hats which were bright pink :lol:

So you can look fabulous on your hunting trips :lol:
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sakoh » 17 Oct 2013, 8:39 am

Press wrote:So you can look fabulous on your hunting trips :lol:

To confuse the deer, give you enough time to take the shot while there staring at you wondering WTF that hat is :lol:
Sakoh
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey