Are deer ever aggressive?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Are deer ever aggressive?

Post by melanie » 02 Mar 2015, 5:45 pm

If it's calving season or you somehow come right up on one in dense bush or wherever you are will a deer ever stand its ground or go for you?

Or always opt for flight?
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Are deer ever aggressive?

Post by Jack V » 02 Mar 2015, 5:57 pm

Absolutely yes. Usually at the start and during the rut breeding season . Many people have been killed by Red deer stags and other kinds of deer .
None in Australia that I can recall off hand . The people at most risk are the unarmed hikers and campers etc. that don't know the risks .
Hunters can get caught out when calling deer if the stag approaches from an angle they don't see or there could be two stags and they get attacked from behind by the unseen one .
With a doe I am not sure , they are generally not that aggressive but with a new born calf they could be .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 02 Mar 2015, 6:32 pm

A doe with a fawn will always hide the fawn and lead the aggressor away from the area and come back later to retrieve the fawn!!!! I think you would have to be extremely unlucky to be attacked by any stag in the wild although I'd hate to be stuck on the end of a red or sambar antler though...
the reason deer run so fast is that their normally the bottom of the food chain unless your grass but I wouldn't risk exposing yourself to a Stag during the Rutt after calling him in you might end up the first person killed by a deer!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The other thing that could happen is it might run over the top of you while trying to make it's escape from the area????
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by The Brass » 02 Mar 2015, 8:06 pm

Only until the bullet goes through it :lol:
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 02 Mar 2015, 8:39 pm

There are quite a few serious injuries from deer in north America every year, usually people using scents. I remember watching a YouTube clip of a bow hunter getting roughed up by a moose.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by FuzzyM » 02 Mar 2015, 9:01 pm

There are some amusing videos on youtube of guys getting beaten up by deer.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by becks » 03 Mar 2015, 9:25 am

yoshie wrote:There are quite a few serious injuries from deer in north America every year, usually people using scents. I remember watching a YouTube clip of a bow hunter getting roughed up by a moose.

I watched one of a dad and his kid on snow-mobiles somewhere in Canada or North America. They come up to a moose who is about 30m away from the looks of it and after some posturing and putting on a show the moose bucks and stamps on the front of the guys mobile :|

Guy had a pistol a the time and was able to put it down with quite a few shots.
Howa Ranchland 7mm
Remington 7600 pump-action .243
Martin XT-22
becks
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by VICHunter » 03 Mar 2015, 9:31 am

They'll give it a go alright.

Some humour in it I guess if a little one roughs up a mate and there are no injuries. They tend to rear up and strike down with the front hoofs.

I don't fancy a hit from a Red or Sambar though....
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Hadoku » 03 Mar 2015, 9:52 am

FuzzyM wrote:There are some amusing videos on youtube of guys getting beaten up by deer.

Funny for the guy taking the video maybe :lol:
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 03 Mar 2015, 5:17 pm

Hey Westy, have you been flashing deer mate? I mean "exposing yourself" to them.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 03 Mar 2015, 5:23 pm

headspace wrote:Hey Westy, have you been flashing deer mate? I mean "exposing yourself" to them.

Don't believe anything that little Does been telling you!!!!!! :x :lol: :D
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 03 Mar 2015, 6:18 pm

VICHunter wrote:They'll give it a go alright.

Some humour in it I guess if a little one roughs up a mate and there are no injuries. They tend to rear up and strike down with the front hoofs.

i wouldn't like a hit from a fallow either :thumbsdown:

Westy wrote:
headspace wrote:Hey Westy, have you been flashing deer mate? I mean "exposing yourself" to them.

Don't believe anything that little Does been telling you!!!!!! :x :lol: :D

thank goodness it was a doe :lol: :lol: not that we judge :lol: :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by FuzzyM » 03 Mar 2015, 8:27 pm

VICHunter wrote:They'll give it a go alright.

Seen it from a stallion and it wasn't great, luckily he was just misbehaving and wasn't really trying to stomp the poor trainer, it helped that it was cold and she was wearing lots of warm clothing.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by melanie » 04 Mar 2015, 9:01 am

The Brass wrote:Only until the bullet goes through it :lol:

I'll try to remember that solution :lol:
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hadoku » 04 Mar 2015, 9:02 am

FuzzyM wrote:Seen it from a stallion and it wasn't great, luckily he was just misbehaving and wasn't really trying to stomp the poor trainer, it helped that it was cold and she was wearing lots of warm clothing.

No, far from great.

You read about a person getting killed now and they by an unlucky hit from a hoof :|
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 04 Mar 2015, 9:10 am

tom604 wrote:i wouldn't like a hit from a fallow either :thumbsdown:

True enough. None of them would tickle.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria