Encounters with rangers etc.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Encounters with rangers etc.

Post by vexesus » 03 Mar 2015, 3:26 pm

I don't get out to the forests much but it's something I plan to change soon.

How often do the regular hunters here encounter rangers or other govt dept staff?

How many out of whatever... 10 trips?

Wondering how many are out there on an average day.
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Encounters with rangers etc.

Post by Jack V » 03 Mar 2015, 4:04 pm

I can't say but I will give you a tip park rangers have no authority to question you on public roads that's a Policeman's job , So if they stop you on a public road going through the forest stay on the road at all times because they will ask you to step over to the edge off the road and then that's park or forest land . So stay right beside your car fully on the road and if they get too heavy or out of line in some way get in your car and drive off , there is nothing they can do other than report you to Police as suspicious.

So make sure you know which roads are public named roads and which are forest management roads and logging tracks . They generally don't give you any grief unless you are doing something illegal but I have experienced one situation with an over zealous ranger that though he was a Policeman but he unfortunately came undone . If you stay legal they can't do much to you but if you find someone threatening or abusive just walk away or drive off and then report them .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 03 Mar 2015, 8:40 pm

With the way parks funding is going in Vic these days, good luck finding a ranger.
They will soon be on the endangered species list.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 04 Mar 2015, 1:22 pm

Never met one in the forest in years.

Every few years though they do an "operation" in this area or that pulling over people going in an out of hunting areas.

About a year ago they did one around Mansfield.

I think they recently did one in the Grampians area too?
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by ailar » 04 Mar 2015, 1:37 pm

Jack V wrote:I can't say but I will give you a tip park rangers have no authority to question you on public roads that's a Policeman's job , So if they stop you on a public road going through the forest stay on the road at all times because they will ask you to step over to the edge off the road and then that's park or forest land . So stay right beside your car fully on the road and if they get too heavy or out of line in some way get in your car and drive off , there is nothing they can do other than report you to Police as suspicious.

They must love when someone pulls that :lol:
ailar
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by deye243 » 04 Mar 2015, 10:03 pm

FuzzyM wrote:With the way parks funding is going in Vic these days, good luck finding a ranger.
They will soon be on the endangered species list.

you definitely ain't in my neck of the woods there like flys on a turd up here with all their flash new forbys
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 05 Mar 2015, 2:34 pm

I was in north Mansfield area a few weeks ago and saw 2 pollies on dirt bikes hooning up into the forest.

I was on the way out, dunno what they were going for.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 05 Mar 2015, 5:21 pm

I was out stealing picnic Baskets with my friend Boo-Boo and we got pinched by ranger Smith for crossing the road with a loaded rifle!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by disko » 06 Mar 2015, 8:47 am

Meopta Meopro 4-12x50mm on Fluted Howa Sporter.
.308 Winchester.
disko
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by veep » 11 Mar 2015, 12:41 pm

None out of about 20 so far.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Mar 2015, 5:41 pm

In 35 yrs about 4 forrestry officers an 1 copper. ( not counting duck opening, always heaps on the opening, when I went ). Average say 6 trips a year. As scarce as hens teeth, should be heaps more.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 11 Mar 2015, 6:57 pm

I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by pucker » 12 Mar 2015, 9:20 am

Yogi didn't see that coming :lol:
pucker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey