Stalking or waiting in a blind

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Stalking or waiting in a blind

Post by RealNick » 07 Mar 2015, 7:03 pm

After some opinions/experiences....

Which do you hunters find gets best results hunting deer? Stalking or waiting in a blind?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Stalking or waiting in a blind

Post by headspace » 07 Mar 2015, 8:31 pm

I'd rather stalk them, I'd get the fidgets in a blind and anyway they'd probably use a different track to P..s me off. At least stalking is doing something.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Mar 2015, 9:35 am

Getting older so more sit and wait lately.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 09 Mar 2015, 11:23 am

Depends on the habitat.

If you're on some known trails in a relatively highly populated area a blind makes perfect sense.

Covering more ground has it's obvious advantages though.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by keg » 13 Mar 2015, 12:07 pm

Blind that's insulated and has a heater. I hunt outside until it gets below 20 deg F or its raining pretty hard. I sleep in it sometimes especially the night before the firearms season opener. Nothing beats waking up making some coffee and hunting in your long johns. I was putting the stairs up in this picture. I got pretty hammered in it the season before and almost fell off the ladder. I put a handrail on it cause it was a little spooky without it. The crow decoy on top is my mascot for the name of the shack we call it "The Crows Nest" due to my Navy background.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (416.85 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
keg
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by tom604 » 13 Mar 2015, 2:40 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: that's not a blind !!!!!! that's a house :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by RealNick » 16 Mar 2015, 12:44 pm

keg wrote:Blind that's insulated and has a heater.

I won't be able to have anything that well built sadly.

It will be walking, or in a tent peg and beam style cloth hide for taking hunting them home again.

Hunting in public forests here, not private property so can't be building stuff.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cooker » 16 Mar 2015, 12:44 pm

RealNick wrote:Hunting in public forests here, not private property so can't be building stuff.

Only a problem if a ranger finds it? :lol: :sarcasm:
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by Swarm » 16 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm

Awesome setup, Keg :thumbsup:
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Aussier » 16 Mar 2015, 12:55 pm

Blinds are a little too boring for me.

I'll take the change in scenery of a walk.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by keg » 17 Mar 2015, 11:16 am

Aussier wrote:

You almost have to hunt from an elevated stand in most of Indiana if you want to see deer. Most property is row cropped so during the hunting season the only way to see them is at a choke point or during feeding. The trick is to know when and where they are going to be. That's the part of deer hunting that takes experience here. I own 20 acres and if you walk in from the wrong way during the wrong wind at the wrong time of the year you won't see a deer in the daylight. That is unless you sleep in the building but they might still catch you snoring really loud.
keg
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Aussier » 17 Mar 2015, 12:23 pm

keg wrote:You almost have to hunt from an elevated stand in most of Indiana if you want to see deer. Most property is row cropped so during the hunting season the only way to see them is at a choke point or during feeding. The trick is to know when and where they are going to be.

Fair enough, whatever works :)

Private property around me is mostly open but has a number of hills/ridges/dips etc. which reduce visibility a lot.

That's just me. I'm sure guys are using blinds successfully here too depending on their situation.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Mar 2015, 11:21 am

keg wrote:
Aussier wrote:

You almost have to hunt from an elevated stand in most of Indiana if you want to see deer. Most property is row cropped so during the hunting season the only way to see them is at a choke point or during feeding. The trick is to know when and where they are going to be. That's the part of deer hunting that takes experience here. I own 20 acres and if you walk in from the wrong way during the wrong wind at the wrong time of the year you won't see a deer in the daylight. That is unless you sleep in the building but they might still catch you snoring really loud.

So you say matey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but,, I think you are stating the obvious (that we tend to take as second nature)

If you walk in from the wrong direction during the wrong wind at the wrong time :wtf: ,,,,, it is a given that you wont get the results you are hoping for,,
regardless of whether its 20 acres, 200 acres or 2,000 acres.
Same applies whether it be bush land or row cropped.

Its a no brainer really. :drinks:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Yelp » 22 Mar 2015, 8:48 am

keg wrote:The crow decoy on top is my mascot for the name of the shack we call it "The Crows Nest" due to my Navy background.

Great setup :)
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by headspace » 22 Mar 2015, 3:27 pm

Mate, I can just see it now, here we are in Keg's apartment all cosy then the Council bloke comes along and wants to know if we put in a Development Application. Very comfy though Keg. Room with a view.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Yelp » 22 Mar 2015, 4:01 pm

headspace wrote:Mate, I can just see it now, here we are in Keg's apartment all cosy then the Council bloke comes along and wants to know if we put in a Development Application.

"Dunno officer. We're just squatting here, was here when we got here." :lol:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey