The media and "could"

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

The media and "could"

Post by Lyam » 08 Mar 2015, 10:41 am

I've joked with people about US media where it seems where as long as you say "according to sources" beforehand you can say any completely obvious crap and nonsense and it's accepted as truth.

Not having to reveal your sources makes it all the more handy.

Not that standards have been all that high in the past, but seems more so lately that the Aus media and certain political parties are using their own version of in the form of "could". Stick "could" in front of any outrageous claim and it will fly.

Ratings low? Not getting enough attention I wonder?
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: The media and "could"

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Mar 2015, 10:58 am

One comes to mind .... The Project.... According to my sources, when Channel 10 was approached about the projects breach of Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice regarding their story about firearms on October 31'st they dismissed claims of citing inaccurate and flawed statistics, the program is hiding the defence that it is not a real news program.... but we all knew that :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Westy » 08 Mar 2015, 1:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: The project is a T.V Show not a news program Aimed @ the 20 something Metrosexual's who think Humus is a substitute for Steak!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
And it's as funny as Diorria in a wet suit
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by headspace » 08 Mar 2015, 8:15 pm

I boycotted the "Project" a long time ago. It's full of alleged comedians and packaged bulls..t. Have to agree with Westy on the target audience. The alleged comedians are usually about as funny as, what Westy said. It's rather typical of ten's programming though.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Usurper » 09 Mar 2015, 1:12 pm

Lyam wrote:I've joked with people about US media where it seems where as long as you say "according to sources" beforehand you can say any completely obvious crap and nonsense and it's accepted as truth.

It's like a license to print bulls**t saying "according to sources", I agree.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by heeple » 09 Mar 2015, 1:13 pm

I think they just write the quote first, then go ask a friend

"Hey, read this aloud to me"

Then quote the friend as a source.

Journalism solved :lol:
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by coroboreeboy » 09 Mar 2015, 5:00 pm

What about when the papers say things like "Police are outraged by ......drink drivers/whatever" I'm thinking,"What all Policemen, or just the cop down the road? Did they take a poll of cops to come to that conclusion? Or did they just make it up? Then too they use words like "gutted" e.g. "Doctors are gutted by..........." What does "gutted" mean anyway? A while ago, nobody got shot in a news story, they got "gunned down", though I haven't seen this for a while. Maybe they were told to be journalists not novelists.
To my mind, when the media use general terms like Police, shopkeepers, Firefighters, Ambos etc, in a quote, but don't say which ones, it's a made-up story and not to be taken seriously.
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 09 Mar 2015, 7:32 pm

it could be that its the cops doing the shootings of late,,,may sound a bit wrong with a headline "police gun down girl with a knife" :unknown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Combat_Wombat » 09 Mar 2015, 9:06 pm

Love how they make out that every survey is a census. Not sure how you can say that 100% of Aussies agree with something if I was never asked. Or anyone I know for that matter.

Should go along the lines of 75% of people at flinders street station between 7-9 am are agaisnt hunting.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Joom » 10 Mar 2015, 9:10 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:Should go along the lines of 75% of people at flinders street station between 7-9 am are agaisnt hunting.

:clap: :clap: :lol:
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 11 Mar 2015, 7:03 am

I love Carl in the mornings he's

So Funny

NOT
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 11 Mar 2015, 10:38 am

The local editor of the paper recently quoted Gun Control Australia's figures as fact (260 stolen fireams in TAS each year when there were actually only 63 last year), ignorant lazy ****, he should move his arse and use primary sources rather than the secondary souce propaganda that GCA peddle.

I also hate the "the community is concerned", they are only concerned due to the papers fearmongering to sell more.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Jessie » 11 Mar 2015, 3:19 pm

Warrigul wrote:I also hate the "the community is concerned", they are only concerned due to the papers fearmongering to sell more.

Reminds me of that Residents Against [some shooting range] website.

2 likes on Facebook or something :lol:

"residents" could be said to be overstating it :lol:
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey