Pig shot placement

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Pig shot placement

Post by roob » 09 Mar 2015, 1:46 pm

Hi guys,

I might be off on a pig hunt soon so checking my things :D

I will be shooting my 7mm-08 and have a box of 150gr ballistic tip ammo put aside for it.

I see a few bits here and there on bone deflection or bullets exploding on the shoulder and that kind of thing.

With the above am I good to go for a shoulder shout for a humane kill on a decent size pig or am I best to try head, frontal chest shot or behind/below the shoulder?
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Pig shot placement

Post by Jack V » 09 Mar 2015, 2:04 pm

Yes no problem with a 7mm -08 and a 150 grain bullet I can't see any pig standing up to that combination .
just be conscious of angled shots on the side . You need to adjust your aim to allow for the angle so the bullet gets into the boiler room .
Square on side and front and back square on you should have no problems at reasonable ranges .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 09 Mar 2015, 2:09 pm

Heart shots are great, a good one will take out both lungs as well, head is good yet brain is a smaller target than heart.

No worries with 7mm-08

Target areas in this link-
http://www.pestsmart.org.au/wp-content/ ... ng_web.pdf
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 09 Mar 2015, 5:45 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was a good read Baron , I like to put it in the neck or in the crease behind the front leg as for a 150 grn outta a 7mm-08 NFW knocking any size pig Like that Cal
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 09 Mar 2015, 9:37 pm

Shoot it in the pig. That works best. Just wait till you are running through cane grass over your head , breathing hard and the only pigs you have seen all trip are disappearing through the scrub and you have 1 second for the shot. Shoot it in the pig. When it stops shoot it again.

Deano
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Browning » 09 Mar 2015, 10:20 pm

Hahaha agree with Dean above... Shots on the run vastly outnumber the opportunities for placed shots.. If you do get a placed shot make it behind the ear or behind the front leg... One thing I've found is you can never underestimate how tough they are..
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 10 Mar 2015, 8:41 am

Not all shots at pigs are on the run .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Mar 2015, 12:36 pm

The only time you need to spend time wondering about "shot placement" is the not so often opportunity of a sitting/standing shot.
So, go out and enjoy, and let your instinct and reflexes take over. Its amazing what reflexes can do for you in a split second.

The very 1st grunter I ever shot was taken on the run at approx. 180 meters with my old .303 using mil surp FMJs

It was running flat out for cover, and I didn't have time to think of anything at all in the process. My reflexes did it for me.
Its snout was only a couple meters away from dense cover when that FMJ hit and went into the boiler room.

On after inspection, it took out the heart and lungs, but he still ran for damn near 80 meters before he dropped.

It may well have been just pure luck on my behalf, but that's the way it turned out.
So don't get hung up on over analyzing things, and worrying about "what if"
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by headspace » 10 Mar 2015, 4:18 pm

shot one up the backside once and broke both hips, he turned around and came at me dragging both back legs. It wasn't very wise because a finisher between the eyes was too well presented. That was with a 130gn 270Win. A 30cal may have given me a "Texas heart shot".
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 10 Mar 2015, 6:26 pm

Jack V wrote:Not all shots at pigs are on the run .

No true not all but generally pigs are better at finding you than you are at finding them. You may get the first shot in standing and then it is running from then on. Sure shoot them in the front half if you can.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kater » 10 Mar 2015, 9:14 pm

deanp100 wrote:Shoot it in the pig

:lol: :thumbsup:
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 10 Mar 2015, 9:17 pm

I use 140gr BT in my 7mm for everything from Sambar down with good effect :thumbsup:

Anywhere in the vicinity of 'boiler room' will do it.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 11 Mar 2015, 7:22 pm

Shoot it in the pig... love it....

Like shooting foxes, doesnt matter, just shoot the bugger...slow it down shoot it again!!!

As far as the porkers go, I've got a shorty 12g arriving soon.... what shot size would you guys suggest, other than slugs...#2?, BBs? SG?
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 11 Mar 2015, 8:11 pm

We always went with ssg's. Gave a good pellet size and filled in some of the gaps of sg's. I killed a pig, or more specifically had one die from a single AAA pellet at over 200 yards, so even they still have a bit of go in them.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Browning » 11 Mar 2015, 10:13 pm

00SG.... Works a treat..
Good for "shooting it in the pig" lol
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pucker » 12 Mar 2015, 9:22 am

Sounds like a slogan for a shirt :lol:
pucker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 14 Mar 2015, 7:50 pm

My new favourite load is 308 with 165gn Hornady Interlocks. They fly well and hit hard.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Aussier » 15 Mar 2015, 7:49 pm

roob wrote:I will be shooting my 7mm-08 and have a box of 150gr ballistic tip ammo put aside for it.

That'll be plenty.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey