Lion trophy ban

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Lion trophy ban

Post by Seconds » 17 Mar 2015, 5:01 pm

Lion trophy ban won't work: shooters

Banning the importation of lion trophies from Africa won't actually have an impact in improving conservation, according to shooters.

A decision by Environment Minister Greg Hunt to ban the trade is designed to discourage the practice of canned hunting, in which animals are bred in captivity so they can be killed for a fee.

The Sporting Shooters' Association of Australia believes the announcement is more about politics than helping to stop the practice, which it says can only be tackled on the ground.

Policies which cause wildlife to lose its economic value to local communities in Africa can open the door for poachers, the association's Matt Godson said in a statement.

The group has offered to help develop a policy which would better target unethical hunting.

Current regulations in South Africa mean businesses normally only allow "photo-trophies" and that will continue despite Mr Hunt's announcement, Mr Godson said.

Under the government's ban Australians who participate in canned hunting will be unable to bring their trophies home. Source.

I dunno what to make of half of this.

I don't think I've ever seen a lion trophy in Oz? How many can be coming in (none according to later comment anyway?)... Surely not enough that it's top of the Environment Ministers priorities. I think we've got enough problems at home.

Existing South African regs already only photo-trophies are allowed. Sounds like we're banning something we're not actually doing?

Similarly lines to above, what business is it of the Australian Environment Minister what goes in in South Africa? Shouldn't his eyes be looking inward to domestic problems.

Throw in a bit of pinch of telling a foreign democratic country how to run itself for good measure.

I can't even think how he'd get started talking about this, let alone what series of events got us to the point of talking about legislation on hunting in another country.

Not trying to be an advocate for lion hunting here, just thinking WTF?

:unknown:
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Lion trophy ban

Post by Jack V » 17 Mar 2015, 5:53 pm

Hunt , a lawyer and a greenie . The Liberals are idiots they come in with a swing away from green policies back to building infrastructure and industry but then go and put a radical Greenie into the Environment job .
I think it's a case of vote grabbing , he might be worried about the next election .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 17 Mar 2015, 6:02 pm

where else does policy get knee jerked from?
our shyte stirring media of course i.e. the ridiculous media beat up on Glen McGrath and Brett Lee http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/austra ... 7245368388

Ooooooow twitter and flogbook voters didn't like it so lets be seen to act on something
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by 1290 » 17 Mar 2015, 6:40 pm

If only the shooters and hunters were as vocal as the tards (or had the time to be anyone)...

The is infuriating... the CITES agreement (whoever here agreed to it, anyway) places the lion as an appendix II species, (Asiatic is App.I= endangered) which mean the African lion can be exported with the relevant permit from the African state in which you hunt...

So..... if you lawfully hunt/kill and preserve your trophy for a return to home (Australia) for mounting or whatever, personally, I'd love a lion 'throw'.... WHAT THE HELL DOES THE AUSTRALIAN CARE ABOUT WHAT LAW ABIDING ACTIVITY WE DO IN ANOTHER COUNTRY!!!

The cherry on the top of this b$%^s**t is that the Federal Government has ZERO RIGHT to legislate for the environment, flora, fauna LET ALONE the fauna of ANOTHER COUNTRY!!! Check the constitution, the environment doesnt rate a mention!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Mar 2015, 7:14 pm

"Check the constitution, the environment doesnt rate a mention!"
That being the case, I would expect the powers relating to the environment would fall to the states. I guess there must be some agreement between the states and commonwealth goverment giving them some legislative powers relating to environment. But sfa for other countries of course. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 18 Mar 2015, 1:39 pm

KWhorenet wrote:where else does policy get knee jerked from?
our shyte stirring media of course i.e. the ridiculous media beat up on Glen McGrath and Brett Lee

Ah of course.

I had forgotten about that.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 18 Mar 2015, 1:40 pm

Seconds wrote:I had forgotten about that.

And rightly so.

What a huff over nothing it was.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Vati » 18 Mar 2015, 1:42 pm

Seconds wrote:Not trying to be an advocate for lion hunting here, just thinking WTF?

Vain attempt to try and be seen doing something.... IMO.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rocker » 18 Mar 2015, 1:42 pm

BAC limit in some places in the US is higher than here in Aus.

Lets get onto making it illegal for Australians to drink while in America too. :problem:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by huccl » 19 Mar 2015, 7:46 am

Bit more on this from the SSAA newsletter the other day

Lion trophy import ban off-target
16 March 2015

The announcement of a trade ban on the importation of African lion hunting trophies is missing the target and will cause collateral damage to conservation programs and quality of life in African rural communities.

The Sporting Shooters’ Association of Australia (SSAA National) is disappointed that Environment Minister Greg Hunt has made a decision that appears more to help his colleague Jason Wood MP appeal to left-leaning voters in the Dandenong Ranges, instead of supporting lion conservation supported by science and evidence-based research.

Managed and regulated game hunting in Africa is already recognised and supported by the International Union of the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

“Regulated game hunting in Africa and unethical ‘canned hunting’ are two different things; one common and one not so common,” said SSAA National Wildlife and Pest Management Project Officer Matt Godson.

“Unfortunately, Minister Hunt’s new rules will have no effect on the ground in South Africa to prevent unethical canned hunting because their current regulations prevent these enterprises gaining the required permits to export trophies to Australia.”

Mr Godson said these unethical enterprises normally only provide the opportunity for ‘photo-trophies’ and this will continue unless policy is developed to target these operations.

“SSAA National has volunteered to help discuss and develop policy that would target these operations, but it seems this issue is more about politics and emotion and not about evidence-based policy creation,” he said.

“Unethical canned hunting, which is not as common in Africa as animal rights activists like people to believe, can only be tackled on the ground by the home country.”

Mr Godson said these new rules will affect all game hunting enterprises in Africa, and evidence suggests that if policy is created which causes wildlife to lose its economic value to local African communities, it will open the door for poachers and exploitation that will devastate wildlife populations.

“Australia has a poor record for animal extinctions and it is worrying that we are developing policies that could have a negative impact on successful conservation programs that have brought back many African species from the brink of extinction.”
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 19 Mar 2015, 9:34 am

Oldbloke wrote:"Check the constitution, the environment doesnt rate a mention!"
That being the case, I would expect the powers relating to the environment would fall to the states. I guess there must be some agreement between the states and commonwealth goverment giving them some legislative powers relating to environment. But sfa for other countries of course. Lol

I dont profess to be a legal expert, but I understand the existing laws of the states at the time of federation stood, subject the the Constitution (Federal law always takes precedence over stat laws) and the Feds can make laws according to the constitution and for peace and order etc...... It is said that the states can make laws on anything... I dont accept that, I think its once of many falsities created for the convenience of the duopoly/monopoly of the Libs/labs...

The Feds have an excuse for their legislating for the environment... I find it utterly flabbergasting, on a federal gov website, they explain stepping out of their allow area and legislating on the 'environment', not for the benefit of the people, the ocean, the flora or fauna... BUT to comply with international treaties!!! For example, UNESCO treaties like the pearla in Tassy not too long ago when a foreign unelected body (UN/UNESCO committee) told US that WE couldnt de-list and log OUR forests!!!

That didnt get a great deal of media attention, apart from the tards proclaiming Abbott looked the fool, thats not the real point, it is that every time one of our leaders travels oversea and signs another UN or other treaty, we lose another bit of our sovereignty.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by franc » 19 Mar 2015, 2:03 pm

1290 wrote:It is said that the states can make laws on anything... I dont accept that, I think its once of many falsities created for the convenience of the duopoly/monopoly of the Libs/labs...

Just used for shifting the responsibility for things looks like...

Fed says states responsible for X.

State says Feds responsible for X.

Nothing gets done.
Remington 700. .308 Winchester.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by headspace » 20 Mar 2015, 6:48 pm

The Shooters and Fishers Party have a big write up on the subject of bringing in legally hunted trophies from overseas. They also say that the next thing could be bringing back trophies from NZ. Where will it stop.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 21 Mar 2015, 8:44 am

it will definitely stop, once all firearms are removed from circulation, killing of all animals is 'outlawed' and we are all eating insects!! <<-- dont worry, there are forces working full speed with plenty of Govt research $$ on that last one too!! Its part of the climate change saving us from ourselves
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by shazz » 22 Mar 2015, 8:00 am

headspace wrote:They also say that the next thing could be bringing back trophies from NZ. Where will it stop.

Next from interstate :roll:

Some transportation of animals/meat work around they angle for :roll:
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by chookah » 22 Mar 2015, 8:03 am

1290 wrote:we are all eating insects!!

Tequila for everybody! :lol: :mrgreen:
Remington 700 Sendero SF II
7mm Remington Magnum