Ageing game meat vs Eating fresh

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Ageing game meat vs Eating fresh

Post by sally-bee » 20 Mar 2015, 3:21 pm

Hello hunters,

I understand supermarket meat is hung for a few weeks before being sold to mature the flavour and tenderise it.

(Not there yet but) if hunting and you drop a deer or pig is it passable to throw it on the camp fire that night? Or is it not enjoyable tender wise?
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Ageing game meat vs Eating fresh

Post by headspace » 20 Mar 2015, 6:42 pm

If you kill it quickly with one shot and let it hang away from the blowies as long as possible it would probably be OK. The thing is to let anything hang you need serious fridge space and most Kelvinator's don't measure up.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 20 Mar 2015, 8:27 pm

I know of people who have built small coolrooms to hang deer in.
Not very hard really.
Second hand coolroom panels are pretty easy to find around here as it's a big nursery area.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oneshot270 » 20 Mar 2015, 11:43 pm

I grew up in beef country here in the Kimberley and we always hung fresh meat when we could because although our beef is tasty it can be a bit chewy. Unless it was a nice looking docile cow then we would rip the fillets and back straps off and eat ASAP.
"One shot one kill"
Remington 700 ADL .270 WIN Burris 3-9x40
1917 BSA No1 Mk3 .303 Brit
Marlin 336CS 30-30 WIN Redfield 2-7x33
Remington 700 SPS .223 Bushnell 4-16x40
CZ452 .22LR Nikko Stirling 6x40
Mossberg 395 12ga
Boito O/U Nickel 12ga
Oneshot270
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 21 Mar 2015, 2:38 am

i like to hang the deer for a week but if the weather is to warm i break them down i also do like to take the inside tender loin the hart and have it for dinner in camp that nite liver will be for lunch the next day.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2015, 5:47 am

I'm with Wrenchman - pick a tender cut and eat that if need be, but better to age it for best eating qualities and easier to butcher too when they have had a chance to set properly.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deanp100 » 21 Mar 2015, 11:23 am

There is no health reason why you cannot eat it immediately. Some cuts will be just ok and some will be worse than that. A piece of meat , cut straight of a fresh kill and thrown on a hotplate will most likely turn into a twisted piece of leather as the muscle fibres react to the heat. The aging process firstly allows for the muscle fibre twitch to stop, which is a problem for instant cooking and tenderness. After that the meat will set a little and then the biological breakdown will commence which is the tenderising, flavouring part. So yes you can eat it, but it is better to let it set, break it down and age it

Deano
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 21 Mar 2015, 2:24 pm

A week to ten days is enough for beefies but I know folks who like to leave them in a portable cool room for two full weeks.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 21 Mar 2015, 2:36 pm

In a cold room situation the dry air causes the fat and external tissue to form a skin on the carcass which reduces the ability of aerobic bacteria to act , further lengthening the time it can age. If you have a cold room you should be able to guarantee superb meat. I worked on acattle property after college. They had the best cattle in the region but the worst meat. It was like chewing a steel belt radial. They had a cold room that stored beer, but the meat went from the paddock to a freezer in an hour. Wouldn't listen to me because I was a college boy. I remember a bbq for the district that looked like the turkey scene from Christmas vacation. Such a waste of good meat.
Deano
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 21 Mar 2015, 5:07 pm

When slaughtering sheep, we would normally have one beast for the barbie(lamb), one for the fridge / freezer (after a 1 or 2 day hang)

As far as I understand the 'aging' causes the proteins to start breaking down, breaking the links etc.. that is to commence effectively rotting...yum, it seems to work!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Hatter » 22 Mar 2015, 6:31 pm

Texture will be a bit different but meat is meat.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey