Hunting rifle accuracy past 100m

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting rifle accuracy past 100m

Post by sally-bee » 31 Mar 2015, 1:03 pm

Hi guys,

I see it's standard to report a hunting rifles accuracy at 100m.

I know it will be different for every gun, but can someone give me an idea of what accuracy you expect from a good hunting rifle at 200, 300, 400 and 500 metres?

Thanks again, you guys are always helpful :)
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Hunting rifle accuracy past 100m

Post by tom604 » 31 Mar 2015, 1:13 pm

dont shoot to 500 but out to 200/250 i want moa if they are much further than that i walk closer :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by handofcod » 31 Mar 2015, 1:16 pm

All things being equal, if a rifle is accurate at 100m, it is also accurate at 500m. The difference being, it's MUCH harder to shoot accurately at 500m because of variables not related to the rifle itself, ie. wind, technique, solid rest, shooter competence.

If your rifle can shoot into a 1 inch circle at 100m, it can shoot into a 2 inch circle at 200m but the effect of each and every variable is amplified the further and further away your target is.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 31 Mar 2015, 1:41 pm

.5 MOA seems to be what most manufacturers advertise so assuming it's consistent you could assume 1/2" @ 100, 1" @ 200 1.5" @ 300 and so on....

Also depends on what you call a hunting rifle cause I've hunted with everything from .177 air up to 50 BMG :D :D :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sally-bee » 31 Mar 2015, 7:49 pm

brett1868 wrote:Also depends on what you call a hunting rifle cause I've hunted with everything from .177 air up to 50 BMG :D :D :D

Just a normal off the shelf one if you know what I mean?

Not a heavy barrel, no benchrest stock etc.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 31 Mar 2015, 8:47 pm

sally-bee wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Also depends on what you call a hunting rifle cause I've hunted with everything from .177 air up to 50 BMG :D :D :D

Just a normal off the shelf one if you know what I mean?

Not a heavy barrel, no benchrest stock etc.

The most popular calibres (in general) in this country appear to be 22-250 & .243 and both are capable of 0.5 MOA outta the box and used by a capable hunter. When you start targeting specific game such as deer, pigs or goats then most hunters will choose the calibre first then the rifle.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 01 Apr 2015, 11:05 am

As said.... 1 MOA is usually considered good enough. (Some would say they wan't more but whatever).

And what the rifle is capable of an what people can shoot are two different things.

On paper a rifle will shoot
1" at 100
2" at 200
3" at 300
4" at 400
5" at 500.

Actually shooting it though, an average shooting might get.

1" at 100
2.5" at 200
4" at 300
7" at 400
10" at 500.

Number are made up but you get the idea.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 02 Apr 2015, 4:11 am

Bourt wrote:As said.... 1 MOA is usually considered good enough. (Some would say they wan't more but whatever).

And what the rifle is capable of an what people can shoot are two different things.

On paper a rifle will shoot
1" at 100
2" at 200
3" at 300
4" at 400
5" at 500.

Actually shooting it though, an average shooting might get.

1" at 100
2.5" at 200
4" at 300
7" at 400
10" at 500.

Number are made up but you get the idea.

this is true :thumbsup: i do like to get small groups on paper, it gives me confidence that when im hunting the "gun" can shoot what im aiming for
but i also know that the groups will get bigger, twice? as big? when im leaning on a tree after walking/stalking up a hill blowing like a whale while my heart is trying to beat its way out of my chest :evil: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by ebr love » 02 Apr 2015, 7:54 am

tom604 wrote:i also know that the groups will get bigger, twice? as big? when im leaning on a tree after walking/stalking up a hill blowing like a whale while my heart is trying to beat its way out of my chest :evil: :lol:

Puffing and wheezing like the unfit buggers we are always does wonders for accuracy :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hercl » 02 Apr 2015, 8:22 am

MOA becomes minute of barn door at 500m for a lot of shooters, especially for freehand/hunting.

Rifles often shoot better than their owners.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sally-bee » 02 Apr 2015, 8:23 am

Sounds a lot like me at the moment :lol:
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Pom » 02 Apr 2015, 10:06 am

Only takes practice to improve.
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Herdsman » 02 Apr 2015, 10:28 am

Bourt wrote:On paper a rifle will shoot
1" at 100
2" at 200
3" at 300
4" at 400
5" at 500.

That's why you just shoot at 100m.

So you can say in theory I can shoot MOA at 500m, I'm a top shot! :lol:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 02 Apr 2015, 11:41 am

If you do some load development it's possible to get better than 0.5MOA with a good rifle.

400-500m+ is a long way, use google earth to measure the road you live on for an idea,probably best to limit yourself to 300m until you get pretty good then start pushing it further out.

Over 300m/y I would be looking at projectiles with good BC, it doesn't matter as much up to 300y/m, the higher BC means a crosswind does not affect it as much as a lower BC projectile

The heart is a bigger target compared to brain with some animals,i prefer heart shots for long distance
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 02 Apr 2015, 12:07 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:The heart is a bigger target compared to brain with some animals,i prefer heart shots for long distance

:thumbsup:

Better than trying for a headshot and just getting a jaw or grazing neck wound and having the thing run off.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Zilla » 02 Apr 2015, 1:10 pm

Stepping back for a sec here,,,,

Vital area on a deer is 9" square or something around that size. Most couldn't hit that consistently while free shooting at 200m and would be metres off at a freehand 500m shot. Half the chances for a brain shot.

A body shot on a small goat or fox is about the same, anywhere on a rabbit will do.

If you can shoot an inch at 100m you're ready to hunt. Most shots are taken at 50m - 150m or there about's and that'll do all the above.
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by North East » 02 Apr 2015, 2:01 pm

The country I hunt in you would be pushing it to get a shot in passed 100 yards....otherwise you'd be hitting trees. Generally shots are taken at about 50 yards. That's why I use an Aimpoint 1X red dot scope and a .30-06 on deer and most shots are taken off hand in to the heart/lung area. I haven't used the .30-06 beyond 100 yards.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 03 Apr 2015, 3:29 pm

Herdsman wrote:
Bourt wrote:On paper a rifle will shoot
1" at 100
2" at 200
3" at 300
4" at 400
5" at 500.

That's why you just shoot at 100m.

So you can say in theory I can shoot MOA at 500m, I'm a top shot! :lol:

This is the rifle component. If it shoots a group of 1inch at 100 it has done everything possible to land a group of 5 inch at 500.
Everything else then comes into play, including the shooter and generally stuffs things up. Of course occasionally the rifle error to the left is compensated by your error to the right and you end up with the odd spectacular group. Everything in shootiñg should be taken as an average. The old school acceptable factory performance with old school factory ammo used to be 1 inch but these days things are probably marginally better. People can,t shoot any better though.

Deano
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Apr 2015, 4:04 pm

For me I'm only interested in the first shot, if I get that right follow up shots aren't needed, so long as that first shots on the money anywhere from 50m out to 350ish I'm happy.

I'm still shooting handloads I haven't even tested on paper, seem to do the job out to 300m on bunnies so I figure they are accurate enough :lol:

They probably shoot like s**t on paper :lol: If I was poking paper I'd of course want to get the best I can out of the ammo but for fur you really don't need that pin point accuracy as you generally aren't shooting groups, its the first shot that really counts in a hunting type situation. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Boatman » 04 Apr 2015, 4:28 pm

North East wrote:That's why I use an Aimpoint 1X red dot scope and a .30-06 on deer and most shots are taken off hand in to the heart/lung area.

Good setup for hunting in the bush :thumbsup:
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AlanK » 04 Apr 2015, 4:44 pm

I wouldn't turn one down but that $800 price tag hurts.
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by headspace » 06 Apr 2015, 9:10 pm

There's truckloads of BS about shooting at long distances. The majority of responsible hunters won't shoot further than 250m to maybe 300 but that's if you can guesstimate the range accurately, and there's not two different crosswinds blowing. I get a little tired of hearing about people shooting deer at over 400m because in my opinion, it's not hunting, it's sniping. If you do actually hit the animal at that range there its a high probability of a non fatal wound, and the distance involved means another factor of difficulty in following up the wounded animal.
I don't care if you shoot a 308 or a Barrett 50cal, if the bullet is not placed correctly the animal suffers, and a responsible hunters first duty is clean kills. I also get tired of people equating the skills of military snipers in regard to hunting. It's a totally different scenario. If you wound a combatant you've done your job and taken him out of the fight. A big part of being a good hunter is to stalk, get as close as you can and make the first shot count. Therefore if your hunting rifle will group an inch and a half at 100m you are good to place a shot into the vital area to at least 200m. Just try to get as close as you can.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Apr 2015, 9:25 pm

headspace wrote:There's truckloads of BS about shooting at long distances. The majority of responsible hunters won't shoot further than 250m to maybe 300 but that's if you can guesstimate the range accurately, and there's not two different crosswinds blowing. I get a little tired of hearing about people shooting deer at over 400m because in my opinion, it's not hunting, it's sniping. If you do actually hit the animal at that range there its a high probability of a non fatal wound, and the distance involved means another factor of difficulty in following up the wounded animal.
I don't care if you shoot a 308 or a Barrett 50cal, if the bullet is not placed correctly the animal suffers, and a responsible hunters first duty is clean kills. I also get tired of people equating the skills of military snipers in regard to hunting. It's a totally different scenario. If you wound a combatant you've done your job and taken him out of the fight. A big part of being a good hunter is to stalk, get as close as you can and make the first shot count. Therefore if your hunting rifle will group an inch and a half at 100m you are good to place a shot into the vital area to at least 200m. Just try to get as close as you can.

Personally I think a lot of it comes down to ones skill level and how good they are at shooting stuff at those ranges, plenty of fella's are capable of doing it and do it regularly with very consistent results.

I've seen plenty of animals wounded at close range too so I don't see long range shooting as increasing that potential for injury as such, as I said it comes down to ones skills - plenty out there that can shoot long ranges with good consistency and those that can't shouldn't be out there doing it until they can get the results on paper with good consistency.

Like Harry say's - ones got to know his limitations. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blackened » 07 Apr 2015, 11:05 am

headspace wrote:There's truckloads of BS about shooting at long distances. The majority of responsible hunters won't shoot further than 250m to maybe 300 but that's if you can guesstimate the range accurately, and there's not two different crosswinds blowing. I get a little tired of hearing about people shooting deer at over 400m because in my opinion, it's not hunting, it's sniping.

I'm not mocking anyone here as it's just a case of lack of information and experience (we all suffered from that at one time).

"Sniper movies" definitely play a part in the unrealistic expectations of some new or prospective shooters.

Movies go for the nice round numbers with a ring to them. A 1km shot, 2km shot etc. (or miles as American movies have it).

We've had our share of posts first posts here along the lines of "what .308 for 1km hunting" which go to show.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 07 Apr 2015, 11:35 am

Never hunt past 150-200 but for sh**s and giggles I put 4 rounds into a 44 gallon drum at 400 a couple of times with the .270 and it was a big group but was also leaning on a tree so not too shabby.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wes » 07 Apr 2015, 2:03 pm

headspace wrote:I get a little tired of hearing about people shooting deer at over 400m because in my opinion, it's not hunting, it's sniping.

That's assuming they got the distance right anyway.

Could be more likely 200m instead of 400m with how bad people are at estimating :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by headspace » 07 Apr 2015, 6:10 pm

My point in that post was not to say 500m shots are not possible, but in hunting there are a lot of variables, which increase along with distance. I don't want my recreation threatened by someone from the newly militant RCPCA finding a wounded animal and accusing all hunters of being careless mongrels. The ethic is clear; clean cleanly and if you make a balls of it follow up the animal. When ranges get out past 200m it gets a lot harder to do any of those things. If people want to see how far the rifle will shoot , oil drums and paper don't bleed. Let's say you do have a clear shot a 500m but as you squeeze the trigger the animal moves or the wind shifts, that can mean the difference between a clean kill and a gut shot. Think about it, Hunting fur is a lot different to hitting a target. The targets don't move.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 08 Apr 2015, 8:53 am

Sally. Theoretically 1moa is as described above and 0.5moa is better (i for one need all the help i can get from my rifle). A rifle that shoots 1/2" at 100 wont always shoot 1.5" at 300 though. Many variables like bullet choice (BC), velocity, barrel twist etc, will effect accuracy over range due to projectile stability: how long does it take to stabilise and how long will it remain stable. All this before you consider wind, angle, etc. All these things need to be set up with intended range and target in mind. For instance, my 223 can shoot pretty damn well to 300 odd yards but i shot it at 600 (range shooting) for the first time recently and it was right on the edge of its limits (mine too) and even with little to no wind it had a 2-3moa variation in elevation, or maybe more. The light little 50gn bullets just lost too much velocity at that range and had gone trans-sonic. With a faster twist barrel and heavier/longer bullet (better BC), it may have been more consistent. Also, a light barreled hunting rifle might look at 3 shots for testing accuracy before heat may cause the barrel to "whip" a bit more (or differently) and open groups up. A heavier barrel will be less effected. So with load, cartridge, rifle and skills all set up for intended range and target, yes, a rifle that shoots 1/2" at 100yd will shoot 2.5" at 500yd.

So, that's the rifle, this next bit might be a bit off your original question but: for hunting accuracy, you may find it helps to practice how, where and when you are going to hunt. That is to say get to know your location, rifle and terrain. If you have access to a place to hunt, go out and have a practice session or three there, or somewhere similar. You will find out what the wind does, what the light does, what angles you are likely to be shooting, what cover is usable for stalking, what is available to use as a field rest. Practice closer offhand shots, longer shots with a field rest. Use some targets that are easy to set up and take down and place them at various ranges/shooting angles. For example, set one at about 30m, one at 50, one at 110 and one at 200. You might practice standing off hand shots at 30 & 50m (i'd go a 22lr for this until you can ping it easily), sitting/kneeling at 50 &110, and a low/stable field rest at 110 & 200m It will all be a lot different than shooting on a range or clearly set out target.

Some might say it's a waste of a trip or ammo or whatever, but once you can set 3 or 4 targets in the field and ping them first shot you will be much more prepared and confident and accurate of all ranges when you actually go out for a real hunt because you will know what you and your rifle are capable of.

My rifle can shoot 0.5MOA and so can i under comfortable, calm conditions but as the BigFella says, the first round out the spout needs to hit the kill zone. In one outing i've been known to take a head shot at 200m but then completely miss a chest shot at 75m. Why? I had been practicing too much at a set range with a nice, comfortable, set rest. Good for practicing fundamentals and working on rifle accuracy but no help in improvised field conditions. So, i started collecting empty cans, filling them with water (stability in wind and fun exploding can factor) and setting them up at various ranges around the paddock i use for practice and shooting as described above. It helped a lot.

Work on your skills and learn your limits for range with various rests and stay with in them.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wobble » 09 Apr 2015, 10:17 am

It certainly doesn't scale as neatly as the paperwork suggests.

I get less than an inch at 100m but dinner plates at 500m.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Josh Smith » 09 Apr 2015, 2:53 pm

I am OK with 2moa.

In the State of Indiana, we used to only be able to use shotguns for deer when I was growing up. This meant foster slugs and smooth bore barrels at that time.

I got pretty good groups, but nothing like your average rifle. It did limit practical range, too, but the 3" or so we got at 100 yards was plenty good enough.

Josh
Josh Smith
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey