Hunting rifle accuracy past 100m

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Hunting rifle accuracy past 100m

Post by Gregg » 09 Apr 2015, 3:30 pm

In the good old days if you could hit a bottle at 50m that'd do.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Combat_Wombat » 09 Apr 2015, 4:38 pm

headspace wrote:My point in that post was not to say 500m shots are not possible, but in hunting there are a lot of variables, which increase along with distance. I don't want my recreation threatened by someone from the newly militant RCPCA finding a wounded animal and accusing all hunters of being careless mongrels. The ethic is clear; clean cleanly and if you make a balls of it follow up the animal. When ranges get out past 200m it gets a lot harder to do any of those things. If people want to see how far the rifle will shoot , oil drums and paper don't bleed. Let's say you do have a clear shot a 500m but as you squeeze the trigger the animal moves or the wind shifts, that can mean the difference between a clean kill and a gut shot. Think about it, Hunting fur is a lot different to hitting a target. The targets don't move.
JD

I think my post came out the wrong way I was trying to point out that even though you can hit a target at that range the groups aren't tight enough to safely shoot a deer sized target.

But saying that in a situation of hitting a rabbit at that range with a .308 or simmilar size provided that they sit nice and still and you manage to hit one any where in the centre of mass will be a humane kill.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by headspace » 09 Apr 2015, 6:43 pm

You're right about that wombat, any hit on a rabbit with a 308 will be a humane kill!
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Herdsman » 13 Apr 2015, 11:40 am

Minute of deer is enough for most hunters at any distance :mrgreen:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 17 Apr 2015, 8:09 am

:geek: One minute of a 130cm Sambar stag is 21.66mm. One minute of a 120cm Red stag is 20mm. One minute of a 90cm Fallow stag is 15mm. :geek:

If you can pull off that sized one shot groups (accurate to your point of aim) in the field, you're doing pretty good, i reckon. :thumbsup: :huh:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Monty » 17 Apr 2015, 11:18 am

I get the feeling Herdsman is thinking about hunting a bit more casually than you Gwion :lol:
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 17 Apr 2015, 5:16 pm

:geek:
Oh... really?? :ugeek:

:drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sakoh » 20 Apr 2015, 9:01 am

Not all of us love breaking the maths books out :lol:
Sakoh
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 20 Apr 2015, 10:08 am

Hehe... now let's figure out what a minute of rabbit is! :ugeek:

:thumbsup: :lol: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Apr 2015, 10:18 am

Gwion wrote:Hehe... now let's figure out what a minute of rabbit is! :ugeek:

:thumbsup: :lol: :drinks:

Furken small I can tell ya when ya trying to take their heads off out past 300m with a 3-9 scope on top and at 8.30pm at night with no light! - Shooter 1 - rabbit headless! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by BBJ » 20 Apr 2015, 4:32 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Furken small I can tell ya when ya trying to take their heads off out past 300m with a 3-9 scope on top and at 8.30pm at night with no light! - Shooter 1 - rabbit headless! :lol:

You make life hard for yourself bigfella :lol:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Apr 2015, 4:36 pm

BBJ wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Furken small I can tell ya when ya trying to take their heads off out past 300m with a 3-9 scope on top and at 8.30pm at night with no light! - Shooter 1 - rabbit headless! :lol:

You make life hard for yourself bigfella :lol:

It was a good challenge and glad I achieved it (I was waiting for the last of the light before setting out for the nights spotlighting foxes. And I wanted to see just how late into the evening I could use the scope and at what distances, I often here about how good the Euro stuff is and wanted to see how the little Nikon stacked up again them in the usability dept late into the evening, I was very happy with the performance for a $200 scope. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey