looking for land to shoot / hunt on

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

looking for land to shoot / hunt on

Post by Mule » 01 Apr 2015, 6:53 pm

Hi guys.
Im trying to get in to pest animal management. So far im not having much luck getting properties to shoot on. Any one willing or able to help me out... just to get a foot in the door. Any suggestions would also be awesome
And if today is the day you call me home,
oh lord,
may I die in a pile of brass with the smell cordite lingering in the air
Mule
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: looking for land to shoot / hunt on

Post by 1290 » 01 Apr 2015, 7:13 pm

What, just to shoot... or with pests to shoot?
where are you? district?
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by North East » 01 Apr 2015, 7:33 pm

Just go into the bush and get into them.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Mule » 01 Apr 2015, 8:45 pm

Based in eastern melbourne. And id looking to do it for a living. Maby even try for my d cat licence. Im willing to drive a few hours to get there
oh lord,
Mule
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by North East » 01 Apr 2015, 8:54 pm

Have you got a firearms licence yet?

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Mule » 01 Apr 2015, 9:31 pm

Yes a&b. Trying to get my c but need land or contracts to shoot as pest animal management.
Im currently running a mosberg plinkster 802 with a vortex crossfire 2. Ive been having issues with it of late( please see related post in gunsmithing section). And a tikka t3 lite in 30-06 with a vortex crossfire 2.

Im looking at replacing the plinkster with the new lithgow rifle. But still tossing up between 17hmr or 22lr and 223 when it comes out
oh lord,
Mule
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by North East » 01 Apr 2015, 9:40 pm

Mule wrote:Yes a&b. Trying to get my c but need land or contracts to shoot as pest animal management.
Im currently running a mosberg plinkster 802 with a vortex crossfire 2. Ive been having issues with it of late( please see related post in gunsmithing section). And a tikka t3 lite in 30-06 with a vortex crossfire 2.

Im looking at replacing the plinkster with the new lithgow rifle. But still tossing up between 17hmr or 22lr and 223 when it comes out

So if you have a .30-06 just get into deer hunting....they're good for that, that's basically what they're meant for.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Mule » 01 Apr 2015, 10:19 pm

So if you have a .30-06 just get into deer hunting....they're good for that, that's basically what they're meant for.

I think your missing the point a little whilst I very much enjoy hunting and deer stalking. I am looking more down the line of practical income and doing good things about rabbits foxes and pigs.
More towards the helping the farmers than having "fun"
oh lord,
Mule
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 02 Apr 2015, 9:24 am

Mule wrote:

I think your missing the point a little whilst I very much enjoy hunting and deer stalking. I am looking more down the line of practical income and doing good things about rabbits foxes and pigs.
More towards the helping the farmers than having "fun"

A mate of mine that runs livestock and various crops is finding it hard to find pro shooters in NSW. He's got plenty of non pro shooters guys knocking on his front gate, but, with a lot of bad experiences, he's loath to let anyone on. Even those prepared to pay for a shot.

The blokes he used have long since retired after the fur trade came to a halt. Fox pelts in good condition were worth some good coin.

He mentioned that the costs involved in pro shooting might be outweighing the pay cheque these days?

Pig chillers have been very quiet out near where my old man lives also if that's any indication?

You might have to spend a few months driving around your preferred area offering farmers free labour and the like until they get to know you and whatever you do, leave your dogs at home if you own any.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 02 Apr 2015, 9:33 am

Is your aim to be a profitable Vermin Control business or more to get a Cat C/D so you can have a Cat C/D firearm to 'hunt' with?
If you start with your Cat B and prove you are an actual business/sole trader, you may have a chance.

You can have your 'Business' registered to provide assistance to farmers for pest management. Might be a foot in the door. Just Google it.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Herdsman » 02 Apr 2015, 10:24 am

Are you an SSAA member? The reason I ask is that comes with some liability insurance which will go some ways with property owners. If you can put a few things on paper like that to put minds at ease it would help.

After that... Property owners aren't going to find you. Ask some locals, not on some doors, drop some flyers in mailboxes?
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 02 Apr 2015, 10:43 am

Lets be honest hey, you want a Cat D. Many of us do to. A cat C is relatively easy.... although mine lapsed (didnt bother renewing) it is relatively simple if you're involved in primary production or associated activities or pest control... start a business, advertise, demonstrate you have a business and apply. Demonstrate commercial contracts for bigger stuff, lots of them... and go for a D....

In Victoria, I think I saw the number recently of Cat D licences issued. It is not many. very not many :lol:

If you really want a cat D; move to another part of the Country that has 20,000,000 feral pigs that need controlling and start shooting with Cat B rifles then see what eventuates.

If you just want to shoot, in Vic we have what, millions of Hectares of forest we are all free to shoot/hunt in.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 02 Apr 2015, 11:33 am

1290 wrote:Lets be honest hey, you want a Cat D. Many of us do to. A cat C is relatively easy.... although mine lapsed (didnt bother renewing) it is relatively simple if you're involved in primary production or associated activities or pest control... start a business, advertise, demonstrate you have a business and apply. Demonstrate commercial contracts for bigger stuff, lots of them... and go for a D....

In Victoria, I think I saw the number recently of Cat D licences issued. It is not many. very not many :lol: .

The last time I checked there were less than 10 Cat D licence hoders in Vic.

Getting certified for Roo culling and a trappers licence could help as well.

You need to provide evidence of contracts to shoot for Cat D, you will need a few of them
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Seik » 02 Apr 2015, 12:38 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:The last time I checked there were less than 10 Cat D licence hoders in Vic.

I thought I read the number 16 somewhere but yeah, sweet FA.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mule » 02 Apr 2015, 2:47 pm

Ok so I need to do some more research...
Roo cert
trappers lic.
insurance
abn and business name
advertising
anything else I should concider
oh lord,
Mule
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 02 Apr 2015, 2:54 pm

Maybe get in touch with current professionals and ask if they mind giving you first hand knowledge and experience based advice on what you are thinking of doing.

Can't hurt.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bluerob » 02 Apr 2015, 3:19 pm

Herdsman wrote:Are you an SSAA member? The reason I ask is that comes with some liability insurance which will go some ways with property owners. If you can put a few things on paper like that to put minds at ease it would help.

After that... Property owners aren't going to find you. Ask some locals, not on some doors, drop some flyers in mailboxes?

I think you'll find that the PL Insurance with SSAA membership is for individuals perusing a hobby (hunting, vermin control, target etc) and excludes business activities.

Your Home & Contents Insurance will also cover you as a recreational shooter unless it's specifically excluded. Not many people are award of this.

SSAA Insurance Brokers can probably sort out a reasonably priced PL policy as they know what's going on (no, I'm not affiliated in any way).

I obtained a quote from them on a business idea I had and I nearly fell over when I saw the price.

It was extremely competitive and very professional people to deal with.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rippah » 04 Apr 2015, 5:41 pm

1290 wrote:Lets be honest hey, you want a Cat D.

Don't we all :D
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Herdsman » 04 Apr 2015, 6:17 pm

bluerob wrote:I think you'll find that the PL Insurance with SSAA membership is for individuals perusing a hobby (hunting, vermin control, target etc) and excludes business activities.

I haven't read the fine print to be honest so you could be right.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 04 Apr 2015, 7:20 pm

Rippah wrote:
1290 wrote:Lets be honest hey, you want a Cat D.

Don't we all :D

Yes. Of course. :drinks:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 05 Apr 2015, 12:15 pm

North East wrote:Have you got a firearms licence yet?

Seems like you're always a bit keen to knock people without their license mate? :unknown:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by 1290 » 05 Apr 2015, 1:11 pm

Trick is to not feed it.....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria