Halal is "gooder"

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Halal is "gooder"

Post by zobster » 22 Apr 2015, 10:10 am

Not wanting to spark any racial riots or anything, but Halal slaughter of any animal is just plain barbaric!
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by coroboreeboy » 22 Apr 2015, 11:45 am

zobster wrote:Not wanting to spark any racial riots or anything, but Halal slaughter of any animal is just plain barbaric!

Out of interest, is "halal slaughtered" any different from the usual type of slaughtering.
It is my understanding that, the only difference is, that a Muslim cleric says some words over the animal as it is killed: and that it is killed in the same way as any other animal. Although I have no personal experience in the matter. Perhaps someone on here can enlighten us.
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by zobster » 22 Apr 2015, 11:50 am

In Australia Halal slaughter:

For cattle, stunning is still required but this occurs immediately after the throat is cut. Two separate slaughtermen must be present: one to perform the cut (which must sever both the carotid arteries and jugular veins) and one to perform the stunning.

For sheep, stunning is not required except where the animal is distressed or does not rapidly lose consciousness, in which case they must be immediately stunned.

There are much greater risks of an animal suffering during slaughter without stunning. Slaughtering an animal while fully conscious requires additional handling and restraint and means that the animal will experience pain associated with the throat cut and subsequent bleeding out.

Basically, the animal is fully alive and conscious before their throat is cut and they bleed out. Barbaric? It's for you to decide.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by David Brown » 22 Apr 2015, 5:18 pm

OK, so what is the non halal meat industry standard which used to be done before?
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by coroboreeboy » 23 Apr 2015, 8:38 am

Zobster: Thanks for the info.
David: Good question.

We keep throwing the word "barbaric" around which to my mind is not very specific and can mean different things to different people. Could we rather say "unnecessarily painful" or "needlessly cruel" or something similar.
I must confess that over the last couple of years, I've come to question whether my way of killing sheep really is the "best" way, but really see no better, practical alternative. I really dislike the act of taking the sheep's life, and make sure that I never look them in the eyes; but I do love lamb chops!
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 23 Apr 2015, 9:09 am

coroboreeboy wrote: I really dislike the act of taking the sheep's life, and make sure that I never look them in the eyes; but I do love lamb chops!

Coroboreeboy. I have been doing my own lamb for only a couple of years, but i shoot mine in the head (brain) while they are still munching the grass, then quickly go over and bleed them out. The rest of the flock seem unconcerned. They are used to the sound of gunfire. I make sure my rifle is well sighted in the day before and usually take the shot from 50-75m with my 223 so the sheep don't associate the shot & me & the rifle with "Harry" falling over. I take the shot well supported and very carefully. I don't do more than one or two at a time and it is months between kills. They are not stressed and don't know a thing. One minute they are happily grazing, the next they are being hung and bled out.

It is very tasty lamb!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by KWhorenet » 23 Apr 2015, 12:19 pm

David Brown wrote:OK, so what is the non halal meat industry standard which used to be done before?

google is your friend

both standards of slaughter are prescribed.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by David Brown » 23 Apr 2015, 12:53 pm

I wanted the 3 line executive summary…..you know the quick hit…the lazy option :-)

Google is not my friend. Curtesy of Google I waste many hundreds of hours a year because of the delightful distractions it brings…..and youtube is even worse :-0

Cheers!
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 23 Apr 2015, 1:06 pm

David Brown wrote:I wanted the 3 line executive summary…..you know the quick hit…the lazy option :-)

Google is not my friend. Curtesy of Google I waste many hundreds of hours a year because of the delightful distractions it brings…..and youtube is even worse :-0

Cheers!

I will do your googling for $2 a search + copy & paste if you have paypal

Cant believe my 'Chapati' wraps (that have no used by date hence my thorough inspection) are Halal certified! A piece of flat bread :unknown:
I think my shopping from now on will try to avoid paying for and supporting something I don't believe in...religion in general. Time to triple my vegies, fruit and meat production.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 23 Apr 2015, 2:31 pm

zobster wrote:In Australia Halal slaughter:

For cattle, stunning is still required but this occurs immediately after the throat is cut. Two separate slaughtermen must be present: one to perform the cut (which must sever both the carotid arteries and jugular veins) and one to perform the stunning.

For sheep, stunning is not required except where the animal is distressed or does not rapidly lose consciousness, in which case they must be immediately stunned.

There are much greater risks of an animal suffering during slaughter without stunning. Slaughtering an animal while fully conscious requires additional handling and restraint and means that the animal will experience pain associated with the throat cut and subsequent bleeding out.

Basically, the animal is fully alive and conscious before their throat is cut and they bleed out. Barbaric? It's for you to decide.

Many halal slaughterhouses have an exemption on stunning,of course the muslims who stun do it differently by stunning after and not before throat is cut.
www.abc.net.au/am/content/2011/s3247274.htm
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 23 Apr 2015, 3:27 pm

interestin rumour on the 3aw rumour file this morning.....I'm sure it was one of you guys. :lol: ;

Halal abortoirs in Vic are seeking cost cutting measures including doing away with the onsite cleric with prayers for the next in-line....
By inscribing the prayers on the knife :wtf: :silent:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Manimal » 24 Apr 2015, 10:35 am

Bit off topic but makes about as much sense, anyone read they thing some school had banned girls from running because they were worried they would lose their virginity :crazy:

Restricted them to non-strenuous sports instead :problem:
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey