Scouting a state forest

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Scouting a state forest

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Apr 2015, 5:38 pm

Hey guys, i am very new to hunting (have posted on here a couple times regarding newbie advice) and just wanted to know a bit more about scouting a state forest. I am going on my first ever hunting trip with some very experienced blokes on private property in the next few weeks , then a couple weeks after that me and a friend (new to hunting, never been before) want to go to a state forest and see if we can get some ferals (mainly after rabbits and foxes).

Now i have been to state forests before (camping and short hikes) but just want some more information on scouting in them. First off i have narrowed it down to 3 forests within reasonable distance (friend has time constraints). So the three are Mt Dissapointment SF, Wombat SF, and Talarook SF. I have a 2wd so i will be limited in terms of driving access, but i dont mind hiking at all and since im scouting first i dont mind walking for hours. I also have a GPS with shonkymaps loaded and will purchase some hard maps from a map shop. Is there anything missing in terms of navigation? Also any tips for entry would be greatly appreciated (not looking for specfic hunting spots or locations, just entry points and which forest is generally easier to navigate on foot). Looking forward to doing the hard yards scouting then coming back with my rifle and putting in some work! Cheers guys
Member-Deleted

Re: Scouting a state forest

Post by bosi72 » 23 Apr 2015, 12:06 am

I use Hema maps (android) which allows me to download Google earth maps at any resolution I want, and use them offline (no phine reception in the bush).
I also suggest downloading and printing hunting maps from:

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/deer/ ... n-victoria

and most importantly familiarise with the area before the trip (make a plan).

Although not ethical if used when hunting, I would bring uhf cb radio and use it in emergency. They're not expensive ~$50 on ebay.
HTH
bosi72
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 23 Apr 2015, 12:49 pm

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you mate, here in vic i just have the depi deer maps and every few weekends i choose a spot and go out for a scout around with my 2wd... 4wd tracks didn't end well when i found my self there by accident/lost
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Apr 2015, 1:23 pm

AusTac wrote:I'm pretty much in the same boat as you mate, here in vic i just have the depi deer maps and every few weekends i choose a spot and go out for a scout around with my 2wd... 4wd tracks didn't end well when i found my self there by accident/lost

Yeah I really want to get a 4wd man.. just can't justify it now because my pulsar is still kicking.. she's done over 250,000 so who knows might have to get myself a 4x4 very soon haha. any spots you can recommend? I was up at Mount cole for camping/hiking not long ago wasn't really scouting but about 1.5 hours into a hike (from China man's camping ground) I found an area absolutely covered with animal s**t/prints and found a few roos hopping around.
Member-Deleted

Post by AusTac » 23 Apr 2015, 1:48 pm

Yeah well thats fair enough haha, and not really, i've heard them around kinglake but that was in a no hunting zone, i'm still looking myself
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by AusC » 24 Apr 2015, 3:03 pm

bosi72 wrote:I use Hema maps (android) which allows me to download Google earth maps at any resolution I want, and use them offline (no phine reception in the bush).

I'll have to check that out. I've been caught out a few times trying to get onto maps with different apps and finding you need *&(*#% data coverage to access them.

Why they don't all offer some functionality offline I do not know.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Apr 2015, 7:22 pm

yes i will definitely check out that app! that plus gps and hardmap should keep me from getting lost...i have to say im terrible with directions though :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by Varmtr » 24 Apr 2015, 9:38 pm

I do quite a bit of 4wdriving in Wombat SF, hiking and exploring old mines.
There are deer, foxes, cats and from a few locals have seen pigs, seen a few rabbits but not many.
One thing to remember there are a lot of old mines all through Wombat so pay attention were you put your feet. If you know what to look for you can usually pick that there is a mine close by.

Member-Deleted should had a look around the Pyrenees SF just over the road from Mt Cole but again there are a few mines in the area. The best way to explore it is by 4wd but there are quite a few track in there that will test any reasonable set up 4wd ( diff locks, decent suspension and tyres ).
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 26 Apr 2015, 9:48 pm

Varmtr wrote:One thing to remember there are a lot of old mines all through Wombat so pay attention were you put your feet. If you know what to look for you can usually pick that there is a mine close by.

Squeeze in a bit of prospecting if the hunting is now good :mrgreen: :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sleepy_Hunter » 28 Apr 2015, 5:08 pm

Went scouting today at Mt Disappointment. wasn't expecting much but actually came across a fair bit of deer poop and prints, felt good to know that some deer still get around up there.
SAUER 101 Classic XT 9.3x62 MAUSER
HOWA 1500 SPORTER 6.5x55 SWEDE
HOWA 1500 SPORTER .270 WIN
CZ-452 .22MAG
70LB ELITE ENERGY 32 COMPOUND BOW.
Sleepy_Hunter
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Apr 2015, 9:48 pm

Mt Disappointment is a well known spot. Mmmm the odd pig too I think.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sleepy_Hunter » 29 Apr 2015, 12:01 am

Oldbloke wrote:Mt Disappointment is a well known spot. Mmmm the odd pig too I think.

Yeah thought i wouldn't see much due to the amount of spot lighters that go through there.
CZ-452 .22MAG
Sleepy_Hunter
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Apr 2015, 3:24 pm

thanks for the responses guys.. decided that i will go to Mt Disappointment tomorrow morning. got the day free and got all my gear so ill put in some work scouting the area and ill let you guys know how i go!
Member-Deleted

Post by Sleepy_Hunter » 29 Apr 2015, 4:59 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:thanks for the responses guys.. decided that i will go to Mt Disappointment tomorrow morning. got the day free and got all my gear so ill put in some work scouting the area and ill let you guys know how i go!

Yeah please do, I would like to know where abouts you go, cause I have been using google earth and have seen some fields on the fringe of the forest near Andersons camp ground that may be good for bunnies and foxes.
CZ-452 .22MAG
Sleepy_Hunter
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Apr 2015, 6:43 pm

Sleepy_Hunter wrote:
Member-Deleted wrote:thanks for the responses guys.. decided that i will go to Mt Disappointment tomorrow morning. got the day free and got all my gear so ill put in some work scouting the area and ill let you guys know how i go!

Yeah please do, I would like to know where abouts you go, cause I have been using google earth and have seen some fields on the fringe of the forest near Andersons camp ground that may be good for bunnies and foxes.

I had a look at Andersons camping ground. . Pretty easily accessible by 2wd and Considering I'm mainly targeting bunnies and foxes for now I will definitely have a look at that area. Actually I will start the day there and have a look seems like a good starting point. if there are any other places of interest feel free to let me know and if I can I'll have a look. I'll report back tomorrow night
Member-Deleted

Post by Sleepy_Hunter » 29 Apr 2015, 7:19 pm

There are some flat areas off of Main Mountain road that might work for small critters, that's where i may look next time I go. only have a 2wd as well so hopefully i can make it through.
CZ-452 .22MAG
Sleepy_Hunter
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Apr 2015, 9:44 pm

Been hunting on & off since I was 18. Just turned 60, & just got my 1st 4wd. Hardly use it as a 4wd. 2wds are fine, yes u are a bit limited, u simply gotta walk a bit further. Lol A ute/tray is a good option because they have plenty of clearance. I always laugh when I walk up the really rough tracks and see smashed 4wd parts. Some people must really thrash some expensive 4wds.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 29 Apr 2015, 10:39 pm

ebr love wrote:
Varmtr wrote:One thing to remember there are a lot of old mines all through Wombat so pay attention were you put your feet. If you know what to look for you can usually pick that there is a mine close by.

Done a bit of panning found a few flecks. Most of the old mullock heaps from the old mines have been turned over by prospectors anyway. I do know that there have been 1 or 2 mines started back up in Wombat SF. But there are few prospectors strolling around the place hopeing to get rich they may get lucky. But chat with the locals there is still plenty of gold to be found just need to go underground, some of the mines I have been in you can see the seams they where following.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2015, 8:08 pm

So I ended up going to mount dissa SF this morning.. went to st Andrews camping ground and hiked around there for a good 4.5 hours... mainly towards the boundary. Saw some sign and heaps of burrows.. but didn't see any life :/ wanted to drive a bit deeper in the forest but it was still muddy from the last couple days rain and didn't wanna risk a bogging in my 2wd and being by myself of top of that. Pretty dense bush around that area and steep inclines/declines.. might head to tallarook SF next time or even further north on mount dissa SF. At once stage I thought I heard something run off but it could have been a broken branch or something rolling down a hill.. either way when I went to inspect it was too dense...

Hunting in a state forest seems like it's really gonna be a challenge! o well guess I just gotta keep getting out there and keep scouting til I find a good spot!
Member-Deleted

Post by FuzzyM » 30 Apr 2015, 9:14 pm

Varmtr wrote:
ebr love wrote:

Done a bit of panning found a few flecks. Most of the old mullock heaps from the old mines have been turned over by prospectors anyway. I do know that there have been 1 or 2 mines started back up in Wombat SF. But there are few prospectors strolling around the place hopeing to get rich they may get lucky. But chat with the locals there is still plenty of gold to be found just need to go underground, some of the mines I have been in you can see the seams they where following.

One of my ex customers has a mine up in Wombat.
Don't think he was too successful.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 May 2015, 10:26 am

Also, would be a great help of someone could push me in the right direction for mt dissapointment.. not asking for exact locations but rough areas where people have spotted animals or even just seen a lot of sign. Help a new guy out!
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 01 May 2015, 2:23 pm

Found a dead Fallow Spiker today on the side of a road near one of our many SF around my area. :cry:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 May 2015, 2:55 pm

Roadkill? What area are you from mate
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 01 May 2015, 4:19 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Roadkill? What area are you from mate

Central Tablelands mate.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wes » 04 May 2015, 1:30 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Found a dead Fallow Spiker today on the side of a road near one of our many SF around my area. :cry:

Poached or roadkill or what?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 04 May 2015, 10:19 pm

FuzzyM wrote:
Varmtr wrote:
ebr love wrote:

Would be interested in which mine he had Fuzzy.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Streamline » 05 May 2015, 1:12 pm

FuzzyM wrote:One of my ex customers has a mine up in Wombat.

How long since it was running? I thought it was nothing but long sealed up ones down there, based on people saying they nearly fell down an old shaft anyway :lol:
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Varmtr » 05 May 2015, 7:13 pm

Streamline wrote:
FuzzyM wrote:One of my ex customers has a mine up in Wombat.

How long since it was running? I thought it was nothing but long sealed up ones down there, based on people saying they nearly fell down an old shaft anyway :lol:

Oh there are plenty actually a lot that you can still go in. Anything from crawling in to absailing in.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Seik » 06 May 2015, 11:18 am

Take then torch when you go for a slash in the night then :lol:
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 06 May 2015, 5:54 pm

Varmtr wrote:
FuzzyM wrote:
Varmtr wrote:
ebr love wrote:

Would be interested in which mine he had Fuzzy.

I would tell you if I could remember.
Haven't seen him in awhile.
They don't shop with us anymore after his boss went bankrupt.

Sorry :thumbsdown:
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey