blunderous hunt fail: 1 lesson learnt, many more to go

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

blunderous hunt fail: 1 lesson learnt, many more to go

Post by KWhorenet » 23 Apr 2015, 9:30 pm

Been taking armed long walks with a painful footy knee so decided to start doing the sit and wait approach closer to home.

Seems the wild population of Fallow are coming in closer to my property during the recent rut, maybe trying score with the does, so needless to say I don't have to walk far from home to find freshly used converging game trails to sit in ambush. Sign everywhere and hoof prints heading both directions. Spot on.

Sun had almost gone and I'd been sitting in my makeshift hide for all of 20 mins when the cracking twigs from more than one direction started and the odd branch getting scraped. Moments later a 2-3 year old fallow buck comes bursting across the trail in a hurry and just stands there, beside me sussing out the patch...all of 10m away. I sat and watched him for about 5 sec's, surprised, adrenaline rush, gathering my thoughts on how the next few moments should unfold. He still hadn't noticed me although he looked wary.

Any how I pulled the hammer back as he moved behind some Manuka, he re presents - kaboom !

:crazy: Fcuk instant tinnitus; forgot to lift my muffs even to cover my right ear :crazy:

Whilst deafened and standing in a state of brain trauma, I watched him lurch forward another 10m seeming to falter in his stride. He paused looking around almost bewildered or in shock but definitely in no rush. Whilst belatedly racking another round he seems to spring to life and fled the scene.
In my peripheral I was now distracted by movement of a fawn and doe scrambling.

With the scrub canopy shadow and the already rapidly fading light;
roll credits.

So what to do?
From basically point blank did I miss, aim too high and let it rise ? 150gr RNSP not hit anything solid / pass through one lung leaving him able? How far could he go with a hole in one lung? There's no guarantee blood will spill a trail as it pools inside and how long he could go, unknown ?

I marked the trail and legged it to the ute. Decided a decent floody torch, my sniffer Rottie and smokes were what I needed. So of course just to stress me out a bit more, the bloody rain starts up again. Ten minutes later I sent my dog perpendicular to the marked spot but down breeze in hope he'd pick up on a fresh blood scent...IF there even was one. Tried to leave him be and not interfere. Searched the surrounding area with no luck. After 1.5 hours of searching and following his movements we kept ending up back to a similar spot and the same game trail heading back into the thicker scrub. Not keen on trekking km's now as I'm buggered and the old dog is clearly over it too.

Half the time I thought he was onto something he'd just cock his damned leg. Yeah so much for the help. I think all he wanted was rabbit. Good work Brock :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :roll:

Now my adrenaline and enthusiasm had waned and was replaced with feelings of disappointment, annoyance and disbelief of what a dope I was screw up the easiest shot I may ever be presented and to not send a follow up :? I'd make that shot from the hip 9/10.

All in all it was still a good experience, albeit quite deflating and another lesson learnt the hard way. Well I hope it sunk in anyway.

Pretty gutted. But, I will be persisting most days.

Lesson learnt:
IF NOT EMPHATIC - DOUBLE TAP !!
Rooky mistake, never again.

and I want some electronic muffs.
Last edited by KWhorenet on 26 Apr 2015, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: Semi successfull hunt (= fail) & solid lesson learnt

Post by Chronos » 23 Apr 2015, 9:40 pm

A wise man once said "bullets are the cheapest part of the hunt, give him another one"

Sorry to hear you didn't find it mate, I'm sure it may never happen like that for you again.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 23 Apr 2015, 9:52 pm

Thats deer hunting for you....sucks sometimes....more chance of getting a rabbit.

But that the attraction....stalking large game. You will hardly ever get a shot....cheap on ammo.

But one day you will have one lined up perfectly, after years of hunting....take the shot and miss.

....so you just keep having a go.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Apr 2015, 10:01 pm

If he was faltering in stride, he is most likey hit hard. He will not be far, Get up early and start a fresh search. Just fan about in the direction he was headed. You may have been walking past him in tbe dark.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by North East » 23 Apr 2015, 10:21 pm

....I recommend Peltor SportTac electronic muffs. My .30-06 has a muzzle brake on and I barely hear it.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 23 Apr 2015, 11:11 pm

Chronos; too right! Another dollar vs total fail. Hopefully I wont freeze up gawking next time.
I'm still confident the sit and wait approach will work around here. I can spend an hour every evening no worries. As for walking up on them, there is too much leaf litter but it can work in my favour as it's a giveaway to me also. This constant rain has softened things up too. I'm learning the lay of the land through day walks so no more aimless wandering. The area borders my place and is close enough that if I had a mountain bike and scabbard I can pretty much get to where ever I want via well worn game trails without spending hours walking for the 1 hour premium time then return. Cant expect to pressure the same close bye spots too often either.

Last 2 nights I've sat out there till dark and started to hear cracking and movement a bit later than the other night. The more clumsy movements through the thick s**t certainly stands out over the natives.

OB: Is a whaling Harpoon and lanyard legal on deer? :lol:
Total of 4 hours looking now, 2.5hrs in daylight. As you say, he could be laying in the bracken or Manuka real close and unless I walked over him I'd never see. If he made it 250 - 300+ m out it will be pot luck now it's rained a heap since. Thought my dog would have sniffed him out as he's pretty good at finding dead stuff. If he's there and starts to stink up then I'm sure the Rottie will be onto him.

NE: Yeah it's not the same as lining up tin can and belting it without a 2nd thought or nerves. I still cant believe I didn't deck him.
Peltor SportTac electronic muffs.
Do they allow or enhance normal sound until the shot?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by North East » 23 Apr 2015, 11:22 pm

The Peltor SportTac enhances volume to whatever volume you want it at. At the moment the shot is taken this is nullified. So you can hear everything until the shot it taken and then it returns to normal in a very short amount of time. They are not cheap....but it's one of the best investments I have made.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusC » 24 Apr 2015, 3:18 pm

KWhorenet wrote:So what to do?
From basically point blank did I miss, aim too high and let it rise ? 150gr RNSP not hit anything solid / pass through one lung leaving him able? How far could he go with a hole in one lung? There's no guarantee blood will spill a trail as it pools inside and how long he could go, unknown ?

Sounding to me like a miss.

Round nose soft points aren't renowned for pencilling through, as you know. And at point blank there would be considerable shock transferred regardless of which vitals were or were not directly hit.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Again...

Post by KWhorenet » 24 Apr 2015, 6:49 pm

Yeah chalked up as a point blank miss. Just glad I didn't film it to relive the ballsup :oops:

Out again this arvo, decided on a different area I know they are travelling through to get to pasture of a night. Hardest part is picking which trails to focus on, they're everywhere like a matrix.

Was well concealed above a small gully with about 150 deg field of view and barely a waft of breeze in my face. As usual just in the last minutes of useable light the cracking twigs and movement through the Manuka starts. The roos just use their DIY highways and don't seem to be as tentative. You could ambush and tackle one if you were keen out here.

Here we go. Adrenaline hit. From right behind me I hear hurried hooves rushing up on my spot from the bloody WRONG direction :lol: bastard just stops no more than 15m behind me, sussing/sniffing me out. I nearly leapt up but waited; he then saunters off on a tangent to a thick tract of Manuka out of sight and stops again frustratingly close...

No redemption this time round :thumbsdown:

Maybe I need a light folding portable tree stand ;)
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Apr 2015, 7:28 pm

I'd have a look around for him again in a few days, he should start getting a bit of stink going if you did hit and kill him - you might find him that way with a bit of luck.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 24 Apr 2015, 9:44 pm

if it penciled through the lungs he may still be alive,not running a marathon but still alive,,lot tougher than us :unknown: or as big fella said, a couple of days and he should start smelling :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Re: Again...

Post by Bourt » 26 Apr 2015, 2:19 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Maybe I need a light folding portable tree stand ;)

Maybe you need to face the right direction :lol: :sarcasm: :D
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 26 Apr 2015, 2:26 pm

Bourt wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:Maybe I need a light folding portable tree stand ;)

Maybe you need to face the right direction :lol: :sarcasm: :D

On this occasion it would have helped :problem: Like last night whistling foxes and having one sneaking out of the scrub behind me. Makes sense they like to head into the wind to use their nose.

Damn fickle breezes shift direction often with the contours out here, so s**t happens I guess.

A tethered hot air balloon project perhaps ? 8-)
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Apr 2015, 4:00 pm

Damn fickle breezes shift direction often with the contours out here, so s**t happens I guess.
That's why scent control is a good idea.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 26 Apr 2015, 7:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Damn fickle breezes shift direction often with the contours out here, so s**t happens I guess.

??????? so don't fart??????? :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 26 Apr 2015, 7:45 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Damn fickle breezes shift direction often with the contours out here, so s**t happens I guess.

Thanks, that's another area I need to work on. I got scented again this arvo ! I had a brain fart and had walked down a trail, then for some reason doubled back leaving my stink from sweaty boots everywhere. Doh !! Note to self, get off the trails and don't back track.

The only thing I do right is not smoke while out there (although I do screw up before I leave and stink up my breath and clothes) and
no perfumed soaps or deodorants...and I tend to sweat allot when active.

After reading a few articles on this I see I fail on most, if not all of the recommendations :shock:
e.g.
- http://www.prohuntersjournal.com/article/?a=7 :thumbsdown:
- 'Eliminating UV From Fabrics' ? :thumbsdown:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by KWhorenet » 26 Apr 2015, 7:53 pm

tom604 wrote:

??????? so don't fart??????? :thumbsup:

Will get a activated carbon tampon for my rectum in future :thumbsup:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by huccl » 26 Apr 2015, 8:38 pm

KWhorenet wrote:A tethered hot air balloon project perhaps ? 8-)

This one definitely needs pics :lol:
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: blunderous hunt fail: 1 lesson learnt, many more to go

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Apr 2015, 10:02 pm

"Will get a activated carbon tampon for my rectum in future " Thats just a form of PPE, better to control at the source, put a cork in it & totaly plug it :lol: :crazy:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wes » 29 Apr 2015, 10:44 am

A powerful enough stench might shock and confuse them long enough for you to line up a good shot though :lol:

Chemical weapon assisted hunting.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 May 2015, 12:58 pm

On a serious note, burn some slightly damp branches, eucalypt and gum is perfect, and stand in the smoke for a while
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bourt » 11 May 2015, 9:08 am

sandgroperbill wrote:On a serious note, burn some slightly damp branches, eucalypt and gum is perfect, and stand in the smoke for a while

I was with you for eucalyptus and gum but smoke?
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey