scouting, scents and traps

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

scouting, scents and traps

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Apr 2015, 4:30 pm

Has anyone noticed how many photos taken of animals by trail cams show the animal looking straight at the camera there are.
Im yet to use one but i wonder what it is they notice ... noise, shape, scent or can they see the inferred light spectrum ?

Anyway I have found a god place to buy scents and thought I'd give some a try for those cunning foxes and cats im having trouble with.
http://www.traps.com.au/default.htm might grab some foot hold traps while im at it.

dose anyone here use scents for cats and foxes ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: scouting, scents and traps

Post by 5Tom » 27 Apr 2015, 11:03 pm

haven't used any scents for cats or foxes. Cats I find will just roam around, as curious as they are, finding small reptiles to eat and what not. When they get spooked or think they're in danger, they tend to keep a distance but they will look back to see whats going on. Foxes on the other hand, I found can be called in easily, but not where your looking. If they sense they've been spotted, they'll be gone before you know they were even there.

I think maybe gauging the wind and reducing noise and movement will give you the best results.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Monty » 29 Apr 2015, 4:26 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Has anyone noticed how many photos taken of animals by trail cams show the animal looking straight at the camera there are.
Im yet to use one but i wonder what it is they notice ... noise, shape, scent or can they see the inferred light spectrum ?

Don't know much about trail cams here but is there any mechanical noise from a lens focusing? Or electrical whine once they sense game a power up.

Seems like issues that would effect some makes.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Streamline » 05 May 2015, 1:10 pm

No mechanical lens in any that I've ever seen. Only ever fixed lens so there would be no mechanical noise.

My guess (and it's only a guess) would be more likely stood out to the shape and straight lines of the box or perhaps your smell from handling it.
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 06 May 2015, 3:02 pm

Never bought scents.

You tried just a chicken neck on a bit of string?

K.I.S.S. ;)
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by scrolllock » 10 May 2015, 5:15 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:dose anyone here use scents for cats and foxes ?

I get out on a mates property and after he bags a rabbit he stakes it a few inches off the ground so it's exposed to the wind as much as possible to get the smell out to foxes.

Would work just as well taking a chicken carcass or whatever you preferred bait is I'm sure.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 May 2015, 7:18 pm

Just beat some eggs up and put em in a jar with a lid on (don't over tighten it) and bury the Jar up to the Lid - leave it about a mth or so, what should happen is it should turn into a creamy/oily mix, just do your usual dirt hole set and put a small amount on a stick and put that in the whole, foxes love it. :thumbsup:

P.S. make sure you wear gloves when setting the traps (use a pair of gardening type gloves) and also use a pair of those disposable gloves when handling the scent as you don't want to get scent on your traps or the little bastards will dig em up!!

Use good stakes to keep the trap in place (12" Reo with a nut welded on top is a good cheap way to go) and use 2 stakes if you think dogs are a possibility. :thumbsup:

There's heap of vids on Youtube so have a good look and you will soon learn what the go is.

Have a look at a few vids that my mate Max has made on trapping foxes. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ubg4USLUfU
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by rainwalker » 11 May 2015, 10:54 am

bigfellascott wrote:Just beat some eggs up and put em in a jar with a lid on (don't over tighten it) and bury the Jar up to the Lid - leave it about a mth or so, what should happen is it should turn into a creamy/oily mix, just do your usual dirt hole set and put a small amount on a stick and put that in the whole, foxes love it. :thumbsup:

You open the lid when you're there to bring in the foxes I assume?

What sort of haz-mat suit are you wearing when you crack it open :lol:
Nothin' like a good thirty aught six
rainwalker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 May 2015, 11:17 am

rainwalker wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Just beat some eggs up and put em in a jar with a lid on (don't over tighten it) and bury the Jar up to the Lid - leave it about a mth or so, what should happen is it should turn into a creamy/oily mix, just do your usual dirt hole set and put a small amount on a stick and put that in the whole, foxes love it. :thumbsup:

You open the lid when you're there to bring in the foxes I assume?

What sort of haz-mat suit are you wearing when you crack it open :lol:

Nah not that bad. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by fawksel » 11 May 2015, 4:12 pm

Grab the fishing pole and lift it off at a distance :lol:
Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum
Remington 770 Stainless Camo .270 Win
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR
fawksel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Elek » 12 May 2015, 3:19 pm

This is hunting not chemical warfare :lol:
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Usurper » 26 May 2015, 1:19 pm

What's the word from the field on_one_wheel?

The scents doing the trick?
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey