Hunting in inclement weather?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Hunting in inclement weather?

Post by 1290 » 10 May 2015, 1:19 pm

When its still and dry the echo of the corn flakes (dry crunchy forest floor under foot litter, leaves twigs) resonate through the hills.....

When its rainy..... you hear the rain. And if you hear only the rain - I'd say the quarry hears only the rain too :unknown: :thumbsup:

Rain is a PITA..... but get out there if you can
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 10 May 2015, 1:54 pm

bentaz wrote:Cheers thats what I was thinking, now to come up with an excuse to piss of on mothers day, lol!

Dont do it..... Havent been married long enough perhaps, next week........ next week.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 11 May 2015, 3:01 pm

Without a doubt "cool" or less weather is the best option. Light rain and wind to disguise you isn't a terrible thing.

Just gotta find the balance of getting out there and not being too miserable while you are :lol:
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by 5Tom » 11 May 2015, 6:30 pm

I heard from someone that if it's the kind of weather that you wouldn't like to be in, the animals probably wouldn't like it either. Some animals obviously like the wet stuff, but each to their own I guess.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 May 2015, 8:03 pm

5Tom wrote:I heard from someone that if it's the kind of weather that you wouldn't like to be in, the animals probably wouldn't like it either. Some animals obviously like the wet stuff, but each to their own I guess.

For many species thats right. Never see rabbits in cold, windy rainy day. Same for most.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by headspace » 11 May 2015, 9:06 pm

You probably couldn't see 'em anyway because of all the rain in your eyes. If I get caught out in it that's one thing but going out to play in the rain? No thanks.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 May 2015, 9:40 pm

I personally don't bother going out in bad weather, have done it when I was younger and never really saw much (other than roos) me I'd rather stay dry and warm and go out when the suns back out.

I guess give it a go and see how it pans out for you and if you like it and see the quarry you want to hunt all the better.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 May 2015, 9:49 pm

I've been caught out in the pouring rain, just slung the rifle muzzle pointing down and continued. I got the feeling after a while that I was the only animal mad enough to be out in it.

while I have seen rabbits out recently on a cold windy day, it's a rare sight. I've found that if its got a den or a burrow it's almost certain to be hiding in there during rain and strong wind, otherwise if it lives in the open it's likley to be sheltering in a gully, under thick scrub or against a rocky outcrop. Basically if your not happy being outside then neither are the animals.

Also coming home to a full rifle stripdown because it's soaked isn't always fun.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by North East » 12 May 2015, 3:01 pm

Snow is forecast down to 500 metres tomorrow around my place....probably have to put the ute in 4WD just to get out of the driveway!

I'm keeping the fire going all night....not go hunting in it.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 May 2015, 3:18 pm

North East wrote:Snow is forecast down to 500 metres tomorrow around my place....probably have to put the ute in 4WD just to get out of the driveway!

I'm keeping the fire going all night....not go hunting in it.

Yep Snow predicted here too, I'll go for a drive if the roads are open but ain't going huntin in it!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 12 May 2015, 3:22 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Yep Snow predicted here too, I'll go for a drive if the roads are open but ain't going huntin in it!

BOM have also forecast blizzard conditions to low levels....might just get a bottle of bourbon and kick back in front of the fire.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Monty » 12 May 2015, 3:25 pm

North East wrote:BOM have also forecast blizzard conditions to low levels....might just get a bottle of bourbon and kick back in front of the fire.

I can think of worse ways to spend a night ;)
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 May 2015, 3:28 pm

North East wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Yep Snow predicted here too, I'll go for a drive if the roads are open but ain't going huntin in it!

BOM have also forecast blizzard conditions to low levels....might just get a bottle of bourbon and kick back in front of the fire.

Sounds the go mate :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 12 May 2015, 3:41 pm

....and I forgot to put alpine diesel mix into the ute....oh well....see what happens. :unknown:

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 May 2015, 4:20 pm

North East wrote:....and I forgot to put alpine diesel mix into the ute....oh well....see what happens. :unknown:

Ah well you'll have to build a fire under it to get her warmed up mate :D Getting bloody windy around here again.

Maybe you should look into getting something like this? :thumbsup:

http://www.wolverineheater.com/
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 13 May 2015, 12:35 am

-3.2 in the alps at the moment snow is on the way.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Hatter » 14 May 2015, 1:19 pm

North East wrote:-3.2 in the alps at the moment snow is on the way.

Waaaaaaaaaay too cold for me :lol:
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 14 May 2015, 2:43 pm

We had -5 with the WCF but no snow (well we did have sleety ****** but that was it).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Title_II » 15 May 2015, 11:06 am

°F or C?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 15 May 2015, 12:17 pm

Title_II wrote:°F or C?

C mate :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Title_II » 15 May 2015, 12:29 pm

Wow. That's not very cold :) I guess you are used to something different. Our normal daytime weather is about -10 to 35 C with a few weeks a year going further as far as -20 to 38 C at the extremes. Of course that is just where I live, we have places that are never cold or very cold.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 15 May 2015, 12:48 pm

Title_II wrote:Wow. That's not very cold :) I guess you are used to something different. Our normal daytime weather is about -10 to 35 C with a few weeks a year going further as far as -20 to 38 C at the extremes. Of course that is just where I live, we have places that are never cold or very cold.

Nah I wouldn't want to live in that sort of climate, that would s**t me too tears in the end :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 15 May 2015, 4:42 pm

i dont mind a bit of light rain and wind but you can keep the snow,sleet and hail :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 15 May 2015, 5:21 pm

tom604 wrote:i dont mind a bit of light rain and wind but you can keep the snow,sleet and hail :thumbsup:

I don't mind the snow but I wouldn't like to live in it 24/7 - it can hang around for a day or 2 but after that it can bugger off as far as I'm concerned :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 15 May 2015, 6:21 pm

snows only good for skiing on and i can only do that for a day or two before my knees start to give up :thumbsdown: dont the deer go down the hill to get away from the snow? if not it would make them easy to track ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by North East » 15 May 2015, 7:37 pm

tom604 wrote:snows only good for skiing on and i can only do that for a day or two before my knees start to give up :thumbsdown: dont the deer go down the hill to get away from the snow? if not it would make them easy to track ;)
'

Deer don't worry about the cold, they just hate cold winds. Despite being an asiatic species of deer they don't mind snow. You can see them on the top of Mt Hotham and Mt Bogong in mid winter. Very strong animals.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 May 2015, 8:21 pm

Title_II wrote:Wow. That's not very cold :) I guess you are used to something different. Our normal daytime weather is about -10 to 35 C with a few weeks a year going further as far as -20 to 38 C at the extremes. Of course that is just where I live, we have places that are never cold or very cold.

No envy there, but I do admire the way you folk get around the challenges that sub 30 temperature set.

I've never seen snow , never been in any less tha around -4 or -5 deg C other than a -30 cool room but I have worked in + 50 deg C heat up in the Tanami Desert and I can tell you that's a whole new level of inclement, especially when your surrounded by big diesel engines all blowing 80 deg c air at ya, So hot it gives you goose bumps and you feel like :crazy: all day long.

I wouldn't want to try out my hand loads out on that stuff.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lyam » 19 May 2015, 2:10 pm

Maybe stick out a couple of oil heaters in the forum to draw them in on cold days :lol:
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey