India's lion population increases by 27%

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

India's lion population increases by 27%

Post by 1290 » 12 May 2015, 2:37 pm

...ummmm.. how do I put it???

LETS HUNT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's some cull shootin to be done, so break out the doubles :clap:

India's lion population sees 27% increase
11 May 2015

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-32686374

India says it has more Asiatic lions than it did five years ago.
The lion population had risen from 411 in 2010 to 523 in 2015, Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel said, quoting the findings of the latest lion census.
Gir forest in the western state of Gujarat is the only home to Asiatic lions.
Once widespread in Gujarat, their numbers shrank to a mere dozen in the early 20th Century, mainly due to hunting and drought.
However, in the last century their population has soared, thanks to a ban on lion hunting and several preservation measures.
The latest census conducted earlier this month by 2,500 officials and volunteers found 109 adult males, 201 adult females and 213 cubs over 21,000 sq km area of Gujarat's Saurashtra region - which includes Junagadh and 10 other districts.
Forest official CN Pandey told BBC Hindi's Ankur Jain that the lions were photographed and tagged by GPS during the census.
"Enumerators recorded unique identification marks like scars on the face, the shape of ears, tuft of hair on tail, colour, and belly folds. Using all this information with location details we removed overlapping and reached the final count," said Mr Pandey.
But the increase in lion numbers has posed fresh challenges to their safety, our correspondent says.
Environmentalists say some 40% of the lions now live outside the forest area and 260 lions have died in the past five years.
They say open wells and live wires on farms, poachers and passing trains and trucks have turned the Saurashtra region into a "death field for the Asiatic lion".
Also, man-animal conflict has grown - lions have killed 14 people and wounded 114 others in the past two years.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Re: India's lion population increases by 27%

Post by Title_II » 13 May 2015, 12:55 pm

All hunting of any animal is illegal in India. Hunting is only performed if a mankiller is ruled.

However, carry of open and concealed firearms is legal in India for self defense.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 May 2015, 6:40 pm

Title_II wrote:All hunting of any animal is illegal in India. Hunting is only performed if a mankiller is ruled.

However, carry of open and concealed firearms is legal in India for self defense.

If the the Greens get their way here in Australia, thats what we would be facing.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 May 2015, 10:20 pm

Im not convinced that 1 lion to every 40 sq kms is a healthy enough population to start hunting.. I mean what was it say 150 yrs ago.? Whzt would be sustainable?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by North East » 13 May 2015, 10:30 pm

Keep it that way or Asiatic lion will be extinct....only 523 lions left.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 13 May 2015, 10:38 pm

500 odd lions across a country the size of India is not a viable population and they are pretty much rooted.

Hunting them is quite the most absurd suggestion i have yet to read on this forum! :thumbsdown:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 May 2015, 11:13 pm

Agreed. 27% sounds like a population explosion... But 523 is near enough extinction. If they're venturing out and dying, perhaps transplant a few into other suitable areas. Don't shoot them
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 1290 » 14 May 2015, 9:34 am

It was a tongue in cheek suggestion, RESPONDING TO A REPORT OF A 27% INCREASE IN THE POPULATION :roll:

I would shoot an African Lion though, and a Polar bear....given the opportunity and the $$.. :lol:

......and if the Asiatic Lion were to become extinct? Who of you even knew there was such a species in existence today? Thats right not many probably none of you.....you knew there was a TIGER in those parts, NOT a Lion, so really, what would be the difference if there were ZERO?? Nothing. oh the BIODIVERSITY....blah blah....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Prios » 14 May 2015, 1:50 pm

1290 wrote:......and if the Asiatic Lion were to become extinct? Who of you even knew there was such a species in existence today? Thats right not many probably none of you.....you knew there was a TIGER in those parts, NOT a Lion, so really, what would be the difference if there were ZERO?? Nothing. oh the BIODIVERSITY....blah blah....

Stupid comment really mate.

I'm sure there are thousands of species we (us here on the forum, or Australia in general) don't know about.

I'm also sure there are plenty we do know about that people in other countries don't.

Because one group of people doesn't know about it doesn't mean it's unimportant or irrelevant.

C'mon, this isn't America, we don't think we're the centre of the universe here :P

:friends:
Browning T-Bolt 17HMR + Leupold VX-1 4-12x40
Browning X Bolt Hunter 30-06 Springfield + Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
Prios
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 14 May 2015, 11:33 pm

Prios wrote:
1290 wrote:C'mon, this isn't America, we don't think we're the centre of the universe here :P

:friends:

Laugh it up, Ooga Booga :D I'm sending the fuzz over to make sure your single shot AR-15 is locked up separate from your ammo and your shoes are properly tied with an overhand loop :D

He who laughs last laughs hardest, which is why I always log on here right before bed to feel better about myself ;)

(just kidding :) )
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by PaWNTANK » 15 May 2015, 7:37 am

Haha if only we were allowed single shot AR-15's :)
Marlin XT-22 Varmint
Howa 1500 Varmint .308 WIN
Remington 700 TAC 21 30-06 SPRG
Boito Reuna 12G
Gamo Cadet .177
PaWNTANK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 15 May 2015, 8:31 am

Title_II wrote:
He who laughs last laughs hardest, which is why I always log on here right before bed to feel better about myself ;)

(just kidding :) )

Nice one, Centurian.... like it, like it! :drinks: :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Mich » 19 May 2015, 10:40 am

PaWNTANK wrote:Haha if only we were allowed single shot AR-15's :)

One step at a time, maybe try for a collectable or de-activated one first.

Foot in the door?
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey