Long range hunting...

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Long range hunting...

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2015, 2:02 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 17 May 2015, 10:47 pm

Sorry Scott, it's still not hunting. In one of those video's the d**khead shot an animal in the gut! I think that proves my point. And why wear all the camo? The animals can't see anyone at that distance, you could turn up as Crusty the bloody clown! Then the idiot gets up and high fives himself. I think he's watched too many re runs of American Sniper, which was a good movie by the way.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2015, 11:00 pm

headspace wrote:Sorry Scott, it's still not hunting. In one of those video's the d**khead shot an animal in the gut! I think that proves my point. And why wear all the camo? The animals can't see anyone at that distance, you could turn up as Crusty the bloody clown! Then the idiot gets up and high fives himself. I think he's watched too many re runs of American Sniper, which was a good movie by the way.
JD

To me its just another version of hunting, like spotlighting, varminting at 200 or 300m etc etc, some would say that shooting isn't really sporting or a true form of hunting and that we should be using spears to be more fair and sporting - I disagree huntings whatever you want it to be, end of the day its about killing an animal regardless of whether you shot it at 1m or 1km, the results the same just a diff method to achieve the same result. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 May 2015, 6:52 am

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by chacka » 18 May 2015, 10:31 am

A few nerves getting touched when you have a cautionary word about long range hunting hey :lol:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by headspace » 18 May 2015, 3:25 pm

Nathan Foster is the real deal Scott, and he does a few long range shots in the course of his business, but I doubt that even he would attempt a 1,000m shot on an animal.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 18 May 2015, 3:29 pm

headspace wrote:Nathan Foster is the real deal Scott, and he does a few long range shots in the course of his business, but I doubt that even he would attempt a 1,000m shot on an animal.

Got news for ya mate and its all bad, have a look at the vid link I posted earlier, that goat he shot gets rolled at 1125yds - which is over 1k! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 May 2015, 4:01 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 18 May 2015, 9:59 pm

OK you got me there Scott, however I'd doubt that there would be too many other blokes who could make that shot, or even want to try. As far as all the Gomers in the US on those vids, I think shooting an animal like an Elk at those ranges is crazy, no matter who you are. They are a big tough animal and can be hard to put down a lot closer than that. Judging the wind eddies in that hilly country is far from easy too. There's a helluva lot involved which means there's a helluva lot that can go wrong.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 18 May 2015, 10:24 pm

A couple more long range shots - coyotes this time out to 1380yrds, in one of his other vids they nail one at 1860yds! - some good shooters out there who clearly know their stuff on how to dial up the scopes and read the conditions well too. :D (I wouldn't mind having their skills - no going to happen but) :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvssYmapeSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqFXmNr5M_s
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 19 May 2015, 8:52 pm

Yes, you have to acknowledge the skill involved, but to me it's just not real hunting. They never show any shots where they blew the arse off the poor bloody animal though. I just think that even with all the skills they have being credited, it's still bulls**t hunting, sorry target shooting. And Scott, like you I'm happy to pull off a good shot at 250-300m or closer if I can get in quietly. By the way think of the money you save, no big heavy kicking mega magnums, expensive optics too especially range finders you'd have to sell your kids to buy. Of course there's also the big US truck you must have to lug all that crap around.
I just like bush walking with my rifle.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 19 May 2015, 9:25 pm

headspace wrote:Yes, you have to acknowledge the skill involved, but to me it's just not real hunting. They never show any shots where they blew the arse off the poor bloody animal though. I just think that even with all the skills they have being credited, it's still bulls**t hunting, sorry target shooting. And Scott, like you I'm happy to pull off a good shot at 250-300m or closer if I can get in quietly. By the way think of the money you save, no big heavy kicking mega magnums, expensive optics too especially range finders you'd have to sell your kids to buy. Of course there's also the big US truck you must have to lug all that crap around.
I just like bush walking with my rifle.
JD

Yeah mate way to expensive for my budget :lol: I'm quite happy doing what I do without going to all that hassle learning how to go about it and the huge $$$ that some of these outfits must cost, me I just haven't got the motivation or desire to do it that much that I would be willing to spend $5K plus.

I do admire their skill level and the obvious training they've put in to get to those levels. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 19 May 2015, 9:59 pm

I'd love to have a crack at some 1000+ meter game but need a bit more practise yet and source some .416 hollow points :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 19 May 2015, 10:23 pm

Gut shooting animals at 1380 yrds is not my idea of, ethical or success. If you cant get within a sensible range, pass up the shot. I do it all the time. That range is looking for a poor out come.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 May 2015, 10:58 pm

brett1868 wrote:I'd love to have a crack at some 1000+ meter game but need a bit more practise yet and source some .416 hollow points :)

Well you've got the gear to have a crack alright, just need to get the skills to a level that you are confident of pulling of a good kill with. Some of those shots on those vids were amazing. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 20 May 2015, 4:55 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Gut shooting animals at 1380 yrds is not my idea of, ethical or success. If you cant get within a sensible range, pass up the shot. I do it all the time. That range is looking for a poor out come.

Good some common sense!!
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 May 2015, 7:44 pm

This looks like an Epic Long Range Hunt, they certainly put in the hard yards to get their trophy. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RECnSuI2P0M
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 20 May 2015, 11:38 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
brett1868 wrote:I'd love to have a crack at some 1000+ meter game but need a bit more practise yet and source some .416 hollow points :)

Well you've got the gear to have a crack alright, just need to get the skills to a level that you are confident of pulling of a good kill with. Some of those shots on those vids were amazing. :thumbsup:

Last trip I managed a 5 shot 5" group at 1000m in perfect conditions with the .416 so the skill level is getting there albeit slowly. Still working on load development and getting more consistent velocities before I get serious at 2000m. I've said it before that at these ranges the loads have to be +/- 5 fps from what they punch in the ballistics comp or they'll miss. In this situation I think the bulk of the credit must go to whoever loaded the rounds cause the elevation looks spot on, just the wind estimation needs a little improvement. They appear to be using the "Lex Talus Field Firing Solutions" app on the WinCE PDA, I've been using this app for a while and it's not the most intuitive or easy to setup but it's military grade and proven in several theatres of war. I've been reading a few of Bryan Litz's books on long range precision and accuracy which along with his PC app and iPhone app are all helping me to improve my accuracy. Precision comes with the rifle package, it's up to me to supply the accuracy and I'm getting better each trip.
Dozer should hit my block 2nd week in June so I'll have an area to test loads out to 1750m which will speed up development somewhat. If I was going to shoot game at range I'd use the .375 Cheytac with 350gr of SMK @ 3070 fps cause even out to 2000yds its still supersonic and hits with 980ft-lbs making the .338 Lap its bitch :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 May 2015, 4:38 am

brett1868 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Last trip I managed a 5 shot 5" group at 1000m in perfect conditions with the .416 so the skill level is getting there albeit slowly. Still working on load development and getting more consistent velocities before I get serious at 2000m. I've said it before that at these ranges the loads have to be +/- 5 fps from what they punch in the ballistics comp or they'll miss. In this situation I think the bulk of the credit must go to whoever loaded the rounds cause the elevation looks spot on, just the wind estimation needs a little improvement. They appear to be using the "Lex Talus Field Firing Solutions" app on the WinCE PDA, I've been using this app for a while and it's not the most intuitive or easy to setup but it's military grade and proven in several theatres of war. I've been reading a few of Bryan Litz's books on long range precision and accuracy which along with his PC app and iPhone app are all helping me to improve my accuracy. Precision comes with the rifle package, it's up to me to supply the accuracy and I'm getting better each trip.
Dozer should hit my block 2nd week in June so I'll have an area to test loads out to 1750m which will speed up development somewhat. If I was going to shoot game at range I'd use the .375 Cheytac with 350gr of SMK @ 3070 fps cause even out to 2000yds its still supersonic and hits with 980ft-lbs making the .338 Lap its bitch :)

Your doing very well by the sounds of it Brett, you are spot on re the equipment/shooter to get the job done. The Cheytac certainly hits hard so would be perfect for long range varmint hunting :lol: Sounds like you have a good setup where you are, perfect to learn the art of long range shooting. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lyam » 22 May 2015, 1:27 pm

brett1868 wrote:Last trip I managed a 5 shot 5" group at 1000m in perfect conditions with the .416 so the skill level is getting there albeit slowly.

How long do you reckon it takes you to get settled/comfy to take a shot like that though?

Short enough you could do the same on grazing game?
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 May 2015, 1:38 pm

Lyam wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Last trip I managed a 5 shot 5" group at 1000m in perfect conditions with the .416 so the skill level is getting there albeit slowly.

How long do you reckon it takes you to get settled/comfy to take a shot like that though?

Only gotta shoot the game once if you are any good, maybe twice if it needs a follow up to finish, no need for benchrest or long range target type shooting to get the job done, just need that first shot to be on the money or close to it really. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 22 May 2015, 3:35 pm

bigfellascott wrote:...... just need that first shot to be on the money or close to it really. :thumbsup:

And this is the challenge at range, isn't it. No sighters to get you on the money for distance. Just have to know everything inside out. Dead on range, dead on wind read, consistent ammo, good rifle and good shooter. A lot of practice and dedication to get anywhere close to good enough to do it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 22 May 2015, 4:50 pm

Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:...... just need that first shot to be on the money or close to it really. :thumbsup:

And this is the challenge at range, isn't it. No sighters to get you on the money for distance. Just have to know everything inside out. Dead on range, dead on wind read, consistent ammo, good rifle and good shooter. A lot of practice and dedication to get anywhere close to good enough to do it.

Yep that's it in a nutshell. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 22 May 2015, 5:44 pm

Lyam wrote:

I'm shooting targets where I know the exact range from muzzle to target +/- 10cm and I can take as long as I like to setup and get ready. I'm in the habit now of getting all set up ready to pull the trigger then take a 5-10 min break, drink some water and check out the scenery. I once took a little nanna nap for an hour cause I was shooting prone and put my head down to relax for a few mins but fell asleep. I find that taking a break between setting up and shooting calms the heart rate and clears the mind, then I shoot. For hunting game at range I'd choose a position where I knew my intended game frequented, range several distances / bearings and have the dope ready. Spot the game, dope the scope, take the shot and all the time spent on load development, ballistic computation and wind reading pays off with a good clean kill shot. I know Headspace thinks of this as Sniping but I beg to differ cause I'm can't call myself a mechanic just cause I'm good with spanners so no matter how good I shoot I could never be called a sniper.

To get back to the question, if I was grunting the heavy bugger round the bush and spotted something a long way off I'd need probably 2-3 mins max to get a shot off with a degree of confidence. I can range it with the scope reticule, check the ballistic table then either apply the dope or use holdovers. The game wouldn't have been spooked or caught my scent unless I had beans the night before so it would probably just wander around happily grazing. I'd have to be sure it wasn't going to move too much in the 5 seconds it takes to aim, squeeze and wait for the projectile to arrive a good 1.145 sec later. I'd also be cognisant of the animals stance and depending on the animal I'd wait for them to be either side on or head on. Roo's I prefer side on to get a better head shot, Foxes I like looking straight at me so I hit them between the eyes, project managers need to be shot in the ass cause that's where their brain is.

If the intended game was moving about too much I'd either get closer or abort the shot and tell stories of the one that got away. I may be a little more cautious where others will rush a shot but I'm getting old and prefer quality over quantity.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by agentzero » 25 May 2015, 10:44 am

brett1868 wrote:If the intended game was moving about too much I'd either get closer or abort the shot and tell stories of the one that got away.

Naaah, you tells lies about the awesome stag you "got" :lol:
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey