Remember your Safety Rules

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Remember your Safety Rules

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2015, 1:44 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Remember your Safety Rules

Post by sandgroperbill » 17 May 2015, 2:22 pm

I don't use my safety. Don't trust them. I keep my chamber empty unless i'm ready to take a shot. And if i don't end up taking the shot, i drop the mag and clear the chamber.
You only need the safety to fail once and you've ruined lives.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by rsj223 » 17 May 2015, 5:22 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:I don't use my safety. Don't trust them. I keep my chamber empty unless i'm ready to take a shot. And if i don't end up taking the shot, i drop the mag and clear the chamber.
You only need the safety to fail once and you've ruined lives.

I do use the safety but never trust it, and always have the chamber clear with the bolt in/locked until needed.
Its a sad thing to hear.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2015, 7:20 pm

I generally chamber a round when sitting a whistling foxes, I un-chamber when I have to move etc, in the vehicle I never had a round chambered, mags loaded and bolts open, I only chamber when I find something to shoot.

I've never used a safety (other than in the Army) I don't have a need for em with the way I operate - the best safety is your brain anyway. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by FuzzyM » 17 May 2015, 7:52 pm

I don't carry loaded rifles in a car. I only put the mag in once I'm actively hunting. I only chamber a round once I'm ready to shoot if I'm with others. I might chamber a round if I'm by myself and in a rabbit hotspot. Still keep the muzzle pointed at the ground and safety on.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by David Brown » 17 May 2015, 8:05 pm

Regardless of where you have a gun loaded or unloaded, you can safely do many things is the 4 rules of gun safety are observed. If they are, even an accidental discharge will not hurt anyone. But you must follow all of them all the time. No exceptions.

1. All guns are always loaded.
2. Never point the muzzle at anything you are not prepared to destroy.
3.Finger out of the trigger guard until your sites are on the target.
4. Be sure of the target and whats beyond the target.

These stories reflect badly on all of us, and we all must do everything we can to eliminate them.

This video is one of my favourites…..and if your buddies are not being 100% safe……don't be there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG-26TKiCsE
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 May 2015, 8:06 pm

I use my safety allot especially with my 12 gauge when out on the quad , I totally trust it but still always treat my firearm as loaded and always point it in a safe direction.

With my bolt actions if I don't take the shot and dont think I will take one shortly, I clear the chamber.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Will » 18 May 2015, 10:41 am

sandgroperbill wrote:I don't use my safety. Don't trust them. I keep my chamber empty unless i'm ready to take a shot.

Good philosophy a lot of shooters I know follow.

Nothing can go wrong with an empty chamber can it.

(Not having a go at others who manage things differently)
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 19 May 2015, 2:10 am

Do you guys ever hunt from tree stands? Our most common hunting accidents here are people falling out of tree stands. Very often the injuries are life-long and often crippling.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 19 May 2015, 7:14 am

Title_II wrote:Do you guys ever hunt from tree stands? Our most common hunting accidents here are people falling out of tree stands. Very often the injuries are life-long and often crippling.

It's not overly popular here, I have heard of a few who do it for deer but that's about it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by trekin » 19 May 2015, 7:39 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Title_II wrote:Do you guys ever hunt from tree stands? Our most common hunting accidents here are people falling out of tree stands. Very often the injuries are life-long and often crippling.

It's not overly popular here, I have heard of a few who do it for deer but that's about it.

Yeah, and disturbing a nest of dropbears when climbing a tree is not the most safest/healthiest thing to do. :thumbsdown: :lol:
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Yelp » 20 May 2015, 4:14 pm

Amazing, .308 to the back from a foot away and he's still kicking.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 20 May 2015, 4:16 pm

Yelp wrote:Amazing, .308 to the back from a foot away and he's still kicking.

Very lucky fella indeed.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 20 May 2015, 4:33 pm

Maybe the bullet was still going too fast to expand and just pin holed through. Very lucky even if extremely unlucky.

Three rules:
1/ Safety first,
2/ Safety first,
3/ Safety first.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 20 May 2015, 4:38 pm

Gwion wrote:Maybe the bullet was still going too fast to expand and just pin holed through. Very lucky even if extremely unlucky.

Three rules:
1/ Safety first,
2/ Safety first,
3/ Safety first.

Yes I'd say that's more than likely what happened and didn't hit anything solid on the way through.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 20 May 2015, 9:02 pm

Not so much from a "tree stand" but from a tree, mainly after feral dogs and looking to get over tall grass, scrubby bushes & ferns.

Biggest worry is darn Paper Wasp nests! :x
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by headspace » 20 May 2015, 9:08 pm

I reckon the closest we come to that would be staking out a well travelled game trail. But the only time I heard about people climbing trees was to get clear of a cranky pig.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 20 May 2015, 9:14 pm

If I'm really expecting something worthwhile to show up I'll chamber a round but have the bolt handle lifted. All I have to do them lower the bolt handle and fire. I have never trusted safeties. I reckon in the heat of the moment there's good chance you'll forget about he safety anyway. You can't ignore a bolt handle. I have no idea what the blokes with lever guns and Pumps do though.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 22 May 2015, 1:18 pm

Gwion wrote:Maybe the bullet was still going too fast to expand and just pin holed through. Very lucky even if extremely unlucky.

Could have been the bigger cartridge that saved him in the end maybe.

What could have happened if it was a smaller varmint bullet designed to explode on impact :unknown: :oops:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey