Buying a GPS

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Buying a GPS

Post by headspace » 28 May 2015, 6:00 pm

I'm about to go for my R license and it looks like I'll need a GPS. They can download maps onto your smartphone but if you lose the signal, you're buggered. I only want a basic GPS that qualifies and I've heard some good things about the Garmen extrex 10. It's only has the basics, but do you really need any more than that?
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Buying a GPS

Post by RoginaJack » 28 May 2015, 8:32 pm

For your R Licence the GPS must be capable of downloading and installing hunting and exclusion zone maps from the website and be working(?), as you state. Can use a smart phone but out in the back blocks, mountain terrain etc.signal can be a bit iffy.
Where I've been lately, haven't been getting a signal at all, so ,didn't bother to turn off phone while sitting calling and the bloody thing rang! The mate reckons I can through clear as crystal. Lesson there, I think. :oops:
I have a Magellan Explorist 510, came with the Australian and N.Z. maps and a case included (all no charge). Does the job but I don't know why the screen isn't bigger, unit thinner and price lower but other than that is OK.
Cheers
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by headspace » 28 May 2015, 9:22 pm

That's another one to look at, thanks mate.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 28 May 2015, 11:47 pm

RoginaJack wrote:For your R Licence the GPS must be capable of downloading and installing hunting and exclusion zone maps from the website and be working(?), as you state. Can use a smart phone but out in the back blocks, mountain terrain etc.signal can be a bit iffy.
Where I've been lately, haven't been getting a signal at all, so ,didn't bother to turn off phone while sitting calling and the bloody thing rang! The mate reckons I can through clear as crystal. Lesson there, I think. :oops:
I have a Magellan Explorist 510, came with the Australian and N.Z. maps and a case included (all no charge). Does the job but I don't know why the screen isn't bigger, unit thinner and price lower but other than that is OK.
Cheers

I have the eXplorist 610 not sure what the difference is to the 510, maybe some functions I assume. I can plug it into the computer over USB and open the tracks and Waypoints on Google Earth to see where I've been. I can also create waypoints in Google Earth then export them to the unit and there's a GEO fence option but I haven't played with that yet. Think I paid a bit over $300 for it as it was in the "Specials" bin at Harvey Norman. Has the bonus of a camera with geo tagging, compass, altimeter, area calculator and a heap of other functions I haven't the need for yet, all round a good unit.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bosbefok » 29 May 2015, 10:31 am

From memory the Etrex 10 does not allow you to import custom maps. I think the minimum is the Etrex 20. I have the Garmin Astro For tracking my dog too which is a requirement of you want to take your dog off lead.. It cost $700 second hand. I had the Garmin 62s before which was good but cost over $300.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 29 May 2015, 9:54 pm

Thanks for the input crew, I won't have any dogs, just a need to see where I am and not going outside the boundaries of the hunting area. The less bells and whistles the better for me. I don't need a camera or a compass, already have both. Just the ability to leave a trail of breadcrumbs to get me back and to keep me out of where I shouldn't be. I don't know if I even need anything other than a mono screen.

JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 30 May 2015, 12:24 am

Just had a quick look at the specs of the Magellan eXplorist 610 and they mention the following...

NSW State Forest Maps are now available to download onto the eXplorist 610 from the Department of Primary Industries for the use of Hunting.

http://www.magellangps.com.au/Products/Outdoor/eXplorist_Series/eXplorist_610

Here's a link to NSW Dept. of Primary Industries where you can download the maps along with instructions for other devices.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting/education-and-training-for-hunters/gps-download-guides
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by North East » 30 May 2015, 12:38 am

eTrex 20 will do me but I live in Victoria. They are certainly making it difficult for those in NSW.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 30 May 2015, 5:39 am

Thanks for thrashing this topic out and I'm glad you all seem to have different taste or decisions on GPS bought. I want one too. I looked at the Garmin 62S and later models. NO WAY am I paying another $220 for topo maps on top of purchase. If I can get free maps my budget is about the $300 mark also. If I can get something goochy second hand all the better.

Found a reasonable comparison of the Magellan 510 , 610 , 710 models http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/inde ... 0610%20GPS

Cant see a 610 for anywhere near $300 currently. Coming up to EOFY should help me a bit.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by RoginaJack » 30 May 2015, 1:06 pm

Some prices quoted here are very interesting. I picked my 510 up from Dick Smith, including Aust & N.Z. maps for $199. That's dear enough!
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 Jun 2015, 8:38 am

I picked up a brand new garmin dakota 20 for around 160 :thumbsup: highly recommend this unit it's sturdy easy to use and has real good reception. Got it off catch of the day for that price not sure how much it goes for usually. ..
Member-Deleted

Post by Usurper » 02 Jun 2015, 3:16 pm

Anything by Garmin IMO.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bosbefok » 03 Jun 2015, 10:43 am

KWhorenet wrote:Thanks for thrashing this topic out and I'm glad you all seem to have different taste or decisions on GPS bought. I want one too. I looked at the Garmin 62S and later models. NO WAY am I paying another $220 for topo maps on top of purchase. If I can get free maps my budget is about the $300 mark also. If I can get something goochy second hand all the better.

Found a reasonable comparison of the Magellan 510 , 610 , 710 models http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/inde ... 0610%20GPS

Cant see a 610 for anywhere near $300 currently. Coming up to EOFY should help me a bit.

You can buy dodgy topo maps if you want them for greater detail (not necessary for R licence) on eBay for under $30. Or download them for free off shonky maps?
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by lole » 03 Jun 2015, 1:27 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:I picked up a brand new garmin dakota 20 for around 160 :thumbsup: highly recommend this unit it's sturdy easy to use and has real good reception. Got it off catch of the day for that price not sure how much it goes for usually. ..

And mapping data is detailed enough?
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jun 2015, 3:01 pm

lole wrote:
Member-Deleted wrote:I picked up a brand new garmin dakota 20 for around 160 :thumbsup: highly recommend this unit it's sturdy easy to use and has real good reception. Got it off catch of the day for that price not sure how much it goes for usually. ..

And mapping data is detailed enough?

the map it comes with is rubbish and i didnt want to pay 100-200 dollars to download the official garmin maps so i downloaded shonkymaps (free) and loaded it onto my unit using basecamp.. mapping data is very detailed and definitely does the job..good piece of equipment for 160
Member-Deleted

Post by Supporter » 04 Jun 2015, 3:15 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:the map it comes with is rubbish and i didnt want to pay 100-200 dollars to download the official garmin maps so i downloaded shonkymaps (free) and loaded it onto my unit using basecamp.. mapping data is very detailed and definitely does the job..good piece of equipment for 160

A name that inspires confidence :lol:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Jun 2015, 5:40 pm

Supporter wrote:
Member-Deleted wrote:the map it comes with is rubbish and i didnt want to pay 100-200 dollars to download the official garmin maps so i downloaded shonkymaps (free) and loaded it onto my unit using basecamp.. mapping data is very detailed and definitely does the job..good piece of equipment for 160

A name that inspires confidence :lol:

I know right!.. I thought the same thing but after doing research I'm glad I used it. :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Seconds » 05 Jun 2015, 11:11 am

Probably just suggesting a bit with the name that it's one guys effort, not "professional" maps I guess.

As long as it's accurate though... :thumbsup:
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 05 Jun 2015, 7:55 pm

Decision has been made, after a bit of trolling through various sites I settled on the Garmin Etrex 20. I got it from Camera Sky for $218 plus postage and handling which added another $27. I looked at the higher end models and this one does all I need and got some great reviews. Plus I didn't want a touch screen for bush work, just a little bit the Luddite showing through, but I'm not Inspector Gadget.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 05 Jun 2015, 10:14 pm

headspace wrote:Decision has been made, after a bit of trolling through various sites I settled on the Garmin Etrex 20. I got it from Camera Sky for $218 plus postage and handling which added another $27. I looked at the higher end models and this one does all I need and got some great reviews. Plus I didn't want a touch screen for bush work, just a little bit the Luddite showing through, but I'm not Inspector Gadget.
JD

The Garmin Etrex 20 are just fine. I've used one for years and no problems with it.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 06 Jun 2015, 8:02 pm

Thanks NE, we have to down load maps from the DPI in NSW to book a hunt in a State Forest. The Etrex 20 is one of the units that are compatible apparently. How's the snow coming along down there mate.?
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 06 Jun 2015, 11:11 pm

headspace wrote:Thanks NE, we have to down load maps from the DPI in NSW to book a hunt in a State Forest. The Etrex 20 is one of the units that are compatible apparently. How's the snow coming along down there mate.?

Still cold but the snow is melting quickly....El-Nino is back.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 07 Jun 2015, 8:44 pm

Pretty sure the snow will be back too mate, it came a bit early this year.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 09 Jun 2015, 11:37 am

North East wrote:Still cold but the snow is melting quickly....El-Nino is back.

It's been a while since I've heard the phrase 'El Nino'.

Remember years ago it was the buzzword and you couldn't go 30 seconds without hearing it on the radio.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 09 Jun 2015, 4:39 pm

Spotted this today very cheap GPS http://www.dicksmith.com.au/handheld-na ... Au668P8HAQ
One day only
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 09 Jun 2015, 5:25 pm

Thanks mate, I went to my local DS store and they had bugger all. I ended up getting mine on line for a pretty reasonable price.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Jun 2015, 10:47 am

rsj223 wrote:Spotted this today very cheap GPS http://www.dicksmith.com.au/handheld-na ... Au668P8HAQ
One day only

WHAT the?

But that's $10 bucks cheaper than I got mine for! :mrgreen:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 10 Jun 2015, 11:00 am

Bugger they dropped the price agian
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 14 Jun 2015, 4:58 pm

rsj223 wrote:Bugger they dropped the price agian

I think Dick Smith are trying to get out of that market, the bloke I spoke to said it's all clearance stock. I guess you have to be in the right place at the right time.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 14 Jun 2015, 5:54 pm

cant believe it but hardly normal has that for $246 vs Dicks at currently $299 ?
Johnny Appleseeed $249

Harvey Norman pick up in store
Your Order
Product Details: Price
1 x Magellan eXplorist 510 Handheld GPS -
$246
Total Paid $246
(Incl. GST $22.36)
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-