Buying a GPS

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Buying a GPS

Post by headspace » 14 Jun 2015, 10:00 pm

That's the trouble, you keep shopping around and the prices go up and down when you're not looking.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 14 Jun 2015, 10:24 pm

Used mine today not bad just give me a week or so to work it out, getting a bit slow on this tech stuff now
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bark » 15 Jun 2015, 8:58 am

rsj223 wrote:Used mine today not bad just give me a week or so to work it out, getting a bit slow on this tech stuff now

It's getting to complicated more like.

I'd be happy if have the tech I have had less "features" in it :lol:
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 15 Jun 2015, 11:38 pm

rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 16 Jun 2015, 2:48 am

haha thanks guys, lucky I was running late to pick up my BRNO babies so missed picking up the GPS at Hardly Normals. The one they had left was a demo only so cancelling it tomorrow as was offered.
Did the ebay one just now, pick up local too :D
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by rsj223 » 16 Jun 2015, 11:39 am

Hey let me know if you buy the extra maps, or if I do will let you know, can they be loaded to more than one sd card?
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by inventurkey » 16 Jun 2015, 1:01 pm

headspace wrote:That's the trouble, you keep shopping around and the prices go up and down when you're not looking.
JD

Yeah, you just gotta bite the bullet and get one once you've found a good option. Otherwise you end up putting it off forever.
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by AusTac » 16 Jun 2015, 1:01 pm

I use a garmin foretrex 401 when outbush. I didn't want to deal with maps as there expensive, stuff is always changing and they lack in detail sometimes.

This one can back track and lead you back the way you came and if i find anything of intrest i mark a waypoint and can keep it for later

Its also a nice small unit so i keep it clipped to the top of my med kit on my chest rig. Handy tought bit of kit
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by sarki » 19 Jun 2015, 12:47 pm

Nice.

I remember when these things were $1,500 :thumbsdown:
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 19 Jun 2015, 6:36 pm

I bought maps for my Magellan 510 and they are bought serial number specific. Of course.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Sender » 22 Jun 2015, 10:47 am

KWhorenet wrote:I bought maps for my Magellan 510 and they are bought serial number specific. Of course.

:thumbsdown:
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by rsj223 » 22 Jun 2015, 3:37 pm

KWhorenet wrote:I bought maps for my Magellan 510 and they are bought serial number specific. Of course.

Bugger, what are they like
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 23 Jun 2015, 1:42 am

rsj223 wrote:

Bugger, what are they like

Suck it and see I guess. Will let you know.

Apparently ok and more than enough for what I want. I got lost in my own 3x3.5km block on dark. Did a complete circle to get back to the ute. 1hr jogging with no moon, stars or useable sounds to get a bearing. Of course no mobile reception for Maps :roll:

Having the CD's sent as I'd hate to delete the file and have to re download it with my Victorian 4th world internet service at $60 for 8Gb data

Cheaper to buy CDs and postage than data. No joke pfffft !
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by rsj223 » 23 Jun 2015, 11:09 am

I went for a walk with my son and did my best to confuse him, wasn't hard as he was to busy looking at the wrong things but not around him, so after around 40min I said I would follow him back to the car if you can find it "yep I know exactly where it is"so after 50min I said do you want to see the GPS yeah ok he could see how we pretty much circled the car and was thinking WTF, so he used the GPS to walk straight back to the car. Lesson No 126 to young son, tick
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 23 Jun 2015, 1:08 pm

rsj223 wrote:I went for a walk with my son and did my best to confuse him, wasn't hard as he was to busy looking at the wrong things but not around him, so after around 40min I said I would follow him back to the car if you can find it "yep I know exactly where it is"so after 50min I said do you want to see the GPS yeah ok he could see how we pretty much circled the car and was thinking WTF, so he used the GPS to walk straight back to the car. Lesson No 126 to young son, tick

I've been properly lost once in Tassie. Started walking from Lake Dobson above Mt Field National Park.
We walked 8 hrs to get to camp. Instructor in his wisdom says ok lets go for another 1hr walk to check out some views.
Get there, pfffft moar lakes and mountains...I'm hungry and my gf was back in the tent so me and a guy I didn't get along with, but had the same idea and both fit enough to run back and over the sightseeing decided to leg it. Teacher says make sure you follow the trail. :thumbsup:

Sure. As the crow flies :roll: ...went past the camp but didn't have a clue. Slid 30mins down a 45 deg mountain face. Thought it must be just over that next ridge, looked and had no idea. Took 4hrs to climb back up the mountain pulling our selves up tree by tree, stopping to suck water from the moss. Didn't think to drink at the lake we were at due to stress.

Lit a fire to show smoke sign, lucky things were moist and it didn't take off. Could have been bad.

Clouds had rolled in, getting late, wind blowing hard. Got to the top and saw a board walk 10m from where we descended winding back to camp.

Yelled out and they came to us with chocolates and nuts. Yeh.

2 fit dudes were about 100m from camp running back to Lake Dobson to call Westpac SAR.

No mobiles or sat phones back then.

We were not the most popular guys with the instructors but I'm pretty sure they learnt a lesson too. Don't let 16 year olds fcuk off in the high country in winter alone. Don't believe us when we say "Yes of course we will be wise and follow the trails"

A GPS would have avoided 6 hours of stress and potential disaster.

Every one laughed later on over a few scoobs, teacher included.

I was told later people were joking about envisaging me knocking the other twat off and using him as a human canoe to paddle back to National Park :lol:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Pom » 29 Jun 2015, 3:25 pm

rsj223 wrote:Lesson No 126 to young son, tick

So what's that... about 1/4 of the list done? :lol:
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 29 Jun 2015, 5:44 pm

Pom wrote:
rsj223 wrote:Lesson No 126 to young son, tick

So what's that... about 1/4 of the list done? :lol:

Probably not even that much lol
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 29 Jun 2015, 6:10 pm

Downloading the magelan maps now.
Didn't get CDs for the Aus city or land maps.
Got an SD card for the waterways map though.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by rsj223 » 29 Jun 2015, 7:08 pm

Let us know if much better, took mine out the other week Geocaching and worked well at that
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 29 Jun 2015, 8:15 pm

rsj223 wrote:Let us know if much better, took mine out the other week Geocaching and worked well at that

Will do.
Wouldn't mind strapping it to my Rottie to see how many extra k's he does compared to me when we go bush. Have plotted some known tracks and check points. I'm certain he covers twice as much ground as I with twice as many legs also.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Tiiger » 01 Jul 2015, 12:57 pm

Strapping it to the dog and seeing the ground covered sounds like a laugh :D
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 02 Jul 2015, 10:07 am

Going to put you to shame for sure! :lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 03 Aug 2015, 8:38 pm

Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by heron » 04 Aug 2015, 11:44 am

Search should bring up something, but lots of people given the Garmin thumbs up here in previous GPS talk :thumbsup:
heron
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 07 Aug 2015, 4:42 pm

Ok so i bought the GPSMAP64S from Garmin. Is this program a must have?

TOPO Australia & New Zealand Lite
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Elek » 11 Aug 2015, 9:46 am

The Garmin maps seem pretty good in most parts out of the box.

I'd definitely try it out before you go buying more maps.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey