DSE & GMA pretty useless

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

DSE & GMA pretty useless

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jun 2015, 3:06 pm

Anyone had much dealings with these guys? i wanted to get some moe information about hunting in Tallarook SF, so i thought id better contact the local DSE office (as they deal with forests and hunting pests) just in case there was any extra restrictions, boundaries, areas frequented by other hunters etc. they transferred me to another department, who had no info, and then they transferred me to the GMA (game management authority). The GMA basically said to me its fine to hunt in state forests (did not really care about specific forests i was asking) and basically told me its very difficult to hunt in state forests and im not likely to find anything in any of em :\ definitely a grim outlook i was getting excited to get out this weekend for my first hunt.. owell wont know til i get out there! just suprised at the lack of information they basically couldnt tell me anything about anything!
Member-Deleted

Re: DSE & GMA pretty useless

Post by North East » 03 Jun 2015, 3:24 pm

You have to get out and look yourself. They can't advise on hunting pressure or anything like that.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jun 2015, 4:16 pm

North East wrote:You have to get out and look yourself. They can't advise on hunting pressure or anything like that.

Yeh I guess but I was looking for info more along the line of exclusion zones, areas less dense than others and more for safety ie. Mineshafts or something. Didn't really give me much of anything. But yeh all good will have a suss my self
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jun 2015, 4:25 pm

That has always been my experience. You would have spoken to a city slicker in head office melbourne. Try and contact the local office.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 03 Jun 2015, 5:55 pm

Had the same problem trying to clarify if the crown land bordering a particular property was ok to hunt in when controlling pests from the property. Got a vague answer about vacant land. You try and do the right thing and this is what you get.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Turtleburp » 03 Jun 2015, 6:13 pm

No surprise really - government depts have been subject to a lot of change and cuts recently.

Cover your butt and make sure it is legal and safe and as others have said see what is there yourself - Google and bowhunter forums make it sound sound promising!
Good luck
Turtleburp
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 03 Jun 2015, 6:28 pm

Pretty hard to cover your butt when relevant authorities are ****ing useless....
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 03 Jun 2015, 7:29 pm

This is a bit random but here's something the DSE did right near me and i thought the types of deer were surprising because I've only ever seen Red and Fallow deer near the curdies :
http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bus ... sub038.pdf
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Jun 2015, 10:06 am

Turtleburp wrote:No surprise really - government depts have been subject to a lot of change and cuts recently.

Cover your butt and make sure it is legal and safe and as others have said see what is there yourself - Google and bowhunter forums make it sound sound promising!
Good luck

Yeah.. I saw a couple threads about tallarook semi like there's definitely deer in there.. too bad I'm just going in with a .223... owell I have also heard of the odd goat or pig in there too who knows might get lucky! Either way I'll let you guys know how the armed bushwalkinf goes! The guy I spoke to seems to think there are no bunnies or foxes in state forests in victoria
Member-Deleted

Post by KWhorenet » 04 Jun 2015, 10:50 am

Member-Deleted wrote:Anyone had much dealings with these guys? i wanted to get some moe information about hunting in Tallarook SF, so i thought id better contact the local DSE office (as they deal with forests and hunting pests) just in case there was any extra restrictions, boundaries, areas frequented by other hunters etc. they transferred me to another department, who had no info, and then they transferred me to the GMA (game management authority). The GMA basically said to me its fine to hunt in state forests (did not really care about specific forests i was asking) and basically told me its very difficult to hunt in state forests and im not likely to find anything in any of em :\ definitely a grim outlook i was getting excited to get out this weekend for my first hunt.. owell wont know til i get out there! just suprised at the lack of information they basically couldnt tell me anything about anything!

The GMA is very useful. My local office even printed 20 A3 sized maps in colour for me for free when I paid for my game permit !!

The links you will need are all on their website. I have posted them for VIC a few times in threads asking the same questions.

The maps are good, give colour coded area information regarding what deer is legal to hunt, when and with what.

Just search in the top left googlebox for previous topics on 'GMA maps Victoria' or something similar.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Jorge in Oz » 04 Jun 2015, 10:56 am

I found the GMA very useful. They even gave me the number of the local DSE officer where i intended to hunt. He emailed me a detailed map to make sure I didn't wonder into National Park or private property so I can only say my experience has been positive so far.
“The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!”

22LR, 243W, 303-25, 6.5x55, 303-270, 8x57, 12G
Jorge in Oz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 04 Jun 2015, 4:10 pm

I wonder what the skill/experience requirements are for working at such a Government department.

What're the chances having any experience with/of/in the states forestry are on the list? Even as 'desirable' or 'optional' if not a requirement.

Call me a cynic but I suspect the majority of them have never even been in a forest at all, let alone the actual areas they're supposedly responsible for.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 04 Jun 2015, 4:42 pm

What is it that people expect from an office receptionist that they cant contact the relevant field rep/expert for?

Having an expert paid ****** wages to sit and answer phones and print maps, redirect to the relevant experts...just wont happen.

They are very helpful but I think some people need to do some of their own research and leg work and not expect to have their arses wiped by dialling a number.

Do we have telecommunications experts with degrees in network system design stuf answering for complaints/general enquiries ?

Come off it.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Jun 2015, 5:38 pm

KWhorenet wrote:What is it that people expect from an office receptionist that they cant contact the relevant field rep/expert for?

Having an expert paid ****** wages to sit and answer phones and print maps, redirect to the relevant experts...just wont happen.

They are very helpful but I think some people need to do some of their own research and leg work and not expect to have their arses wiped by dialling a number.

Do we have telecommunications experts with degrees in network system design stuf answering for complaints/general enquiries ?

Come off it.

Not after a field expert, but some baseline knowledge of the forest they are in charge of would be nice. You make it sound as though we are asking about specific coordinates for hunting. I'm thinking more safety ie Mineshafts, neighboring properties/parks etc. Surely if your in charge of a forest you should know these things...
Member-Deleted

Post by Turtleburp » 04 Jun 2015, 6:26 pm

Good thinking on the old shaft front - especially if you've got dogs.

Another dept. though and God forbid they talk... this might be worth a look: http://www.energyandresources.vic.gov.a ... s-and-data
Turtleburp
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 05 Jun 2015, 1:55 pm

Been hit and miss when I've called for a few things.

Great answers on one call, useless on the next.

Try call back and get someone else is the trick.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 05 Jun 2015, 2:16 pm

KWhorenet wrote:What is it that people expect from an office receptionist that they cant contact the relevant field rep/expert for?

Come off it.

It sounded like my reply was having a go at them but that wasn't what I meant. It was just a thought/opinion they they should have more than just receptionists and have some knowledgeable staff on hand for enquiries.

It's fine to call somewhere and have the person who answers the call not know the answer, but there should be someone they can ask or submit the enquiry to for them to get back to you when available.

As it stands in a lot of government departments if someone doesn't know the answer that's the end of the call.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 06 Jun 2015, 3:02 pm

Had the exact same experience, called the local office about going for a hunt in a section of land on one of there maps, was just after some clarification on some points, and got transfered a few times onto someone who was clearly inconvenienced by my call who couldn't seem to answer my actual questions and just went on about vaguely related subjects.

And the government wonders what happens when departments are stretched thin
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by AusC » 09 Jun 2015, 2:24 pm

SendIt wrote:It was just a thought/opinion they they should have more than just receptionists and have some knowledgeable staff on hand for enquiries.

It's fine to call somewhere and have the person who answers the call not know the answer, but there should be someone they can ask or submit the enquiry to for them to get back to you when available.

As it stands in a lot of government departments if someone doesn't know the answer that's the end of the call.

Agree with all that :thumbsup:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey