disease in game

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

disease in game

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 26 Jun 2015, 8:38 pm

hi guys and gals
I am wanting to get in to more hunting and would like to harvest the meat namely pig and dear , what am I to look for as far as visible singes of disease and what can be don to minimise the risk? any help would be appreciated
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: disease in game

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 27 Jun 2015, 9:08 pm

dose any one harvest wild game ?
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 27 Jun 2015, 11:01 pm

if it looks good ,take it :thumbsup: check the liver for worms, after you gut it have a look and see if anything looks iffy,tumors cysts , cook well :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 28 Jun 2015, 12:24 am

thanks mate for the reply , didn't think there would be much to worry about , if i freeze and then cook it not a whole lot would survive that wouldn't think.
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by North East » 28 Jun 2015, 12:51 am

Get them cold mate as quick possible. I've got access to an insulated cool room kept at about 2C. I think the maximum temp allowed is 5C. Hang deer for at least 7 days, don't know about pigs.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Pom » 01 Jul 2015, 2:32 pm

bear foot bowhunter wrote:if i freeze and then cook it not a whole lot would survive that wouldn't think.

:thumbsup:

Once it's been a few hundred degrees there isn't much going to be left kicking.

As for the signs it's usually pretty obvious in my experience. The meat/organs look healthy or they don't. Worms, liver will be obviously discoloured, if there are cysts there are usually clusters of them. etc. It's not like its medical science looking for tiny discrepancies.

If it looks good 99.9% chance it is good.
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by zobster » 01 Jul 2015, 3:22 pm

Coming from a food safety perspective, there's only very few pathogens or their cyst that survives pass 100 degrees Celsius. I order to be double sure, bring the internal temperature of what every you are cooking to 121 degrees celsius and hold it there for 15minutes. everything thing is now dead BUT the toxins that were produced before the death of the pathogens are still active. Having say all that, it's a probability game, if your animal is healthy with healthy looking internal organs feel free to cook your backstraps to rare and enjoy that with a nice glass of red!!
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by monbeg » 01 Jul 2015, 5:03 pm

Be very aware of Q Fever if handling animals. Don't use the same knife for removing intestines etc that you use for carving meat portions.
Worthwhile read below.
http://conditions.health.qld.gov.au/Hea ... 35/Q-Fever
monbeg
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jul 2015, 8:15 pm

Good read monbeg. I have been carrying a pair of latex gloves for some time now. Easy and compact.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 02 Jul 2015, 7:03 am

Thanks monbed for the info another good video whached was on a guy that works for a university in the us I'll try and pout it up here later
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Xerox » 02 Jul 2015, 10:21 am

monbeg wrote:Don't use the same knife for removing intestines etc that you use for carving meat portions.

This is just me but I usually have a billy on half speed at the fire while doing whatever. Use the same knife for everything but give the blade a quick bath in the boiling water before it hits food.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey