Recommend me a state forest in North east vic!

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Recommend me a state forest in North east vic!

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Jul 2015, 8:15 am

Hey guys, me and a mate were thinking of putting together a little hunting/camping trip in the next couple weeks.. not long maybe just one or two nights and we haven't really been out to the north east before so thought why not!

We mainly want to hunt rabbits foxes and goat if possible (only bringing along a .223 and maybe a .22). Also we may not have access to a 4wd so somewhere we can get around on 2wd would be great. .but we are also keen to put in some legwork and not afraid of hiking!

So if you guys know of any nice state forests in NE vic for camping and a bit of hunting please let us know would be much appreciated!
Member-Deleted

Re: Recommend me a state forest in North east vic!

Post by North East » 04 Jul 2015, 9:51 am

Anywhere around Mt Beauty, where I live, is reliable for deer and wild dogs, Can you increase the caliber? For rabbits you need access to a private property, never seen goats, Don't spotlight at night, is recognised deer habitat....and the local cops are on to it.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Jul 2015, 11:55 am

Thanks mate.. Yeh I can't increase the calibre due to unforseen circumstances.. was supposed to have had a .444 marlin but ran into some issues. But I'm happy if I take a dog or two! Yeah I'm not really into spotlighting so there won't be any of that, thanks for the heads up anyway!

Do you know of any good actual camping spots? The hunting is a bonus but my mate is coming camping for the first time so a nice spot would be even better! I've heard goof things about mitta mitta but I don't know how good the hunting is there..
Member-Deleted

Post by North East » 04 Jul 2015, 12:08 pm

Good camping along the Mitta Mitta River. But note the road is closed from Falls Creek over winter, you'll have come the other way. Dogs are the go around here. Recommend the .223 for them.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Jul 2015, 11:44 am

Cheers, thanks for the info mate. Can't wait to get out there!
Member-Deleted

Post by VICHunter » 06 Jul 2015, 3:07 pm

Shame you haven't got a bigger calibre available.

Foxes/rabbits can be tricky to find in the forest. With something bigger you could head to deer country and get everything you listed and hopefully more.

Depends how far you want to go. The further the better your chances really.

You might get lucky and bag a few bunnies as close as Whittlsea, I can't remember the name but there is a state forest not far north of their with bunnies in it. No larger game though.

No good to you know, but FYI around Lake Eildon (not all around, check the maps and seasons) there is deer hunting to be had.

All the state forests around Mansfield. Deer, dogs, cats, etc. all in there.

Then around Bright and Mount Beauty is where the getting is really good.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 06 Jul 2015, 3:08 pm

Map help I forgot to link before... http://nremap-sc.nre.vic.gov.au/MapShar ... stexplorer
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Jul 2015, 1:13 pm

VICHunter wrote:Shame you haven't got a bigger calibre available.

Foxes/rabbits can be tricky to find in the forest. With something bigger you could head to deer country and get everything you listed and hopefully more.

Depends how far you want to go. The further the better your chances really.

You might get lucky and bag a few bunnies as close as Whittlsea, I can't remember the name but there is a state forest not far north of their with bunnies in it. No larger game though.

No good to you know, but FYI around Lake Eildon (not all around, check the maps and seasons) there is deer hunting to be had.

All the state forests around Mansfield. Deer, dogs, cats, etc. all in there.

Then around Bright and Mount Beauty is where the getting is really good.

Thanks for this mate, very informative. Yes I have tried 2 state forests close to me (mount dissapointment SF and tallarook SF) and had no luck so far :thumbsdown: I'm really considering mitta mitta now.. I guess with .223 and some good leg work I should be able to get a dog at least.. gutted about not having a bigger calibre available though!
Member-Deleted

Post by Pilch » 07 Jul 2015, 2:35 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:mount dissapointment

Did it live up to the name? :sarcasm:
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 07 Jul 2015, 4:32 pm

Dogs aren't easy to find, mostly. Easier to find on the farm land fringes than in the thick of it all.

If you can find a river or creek flat that has clearings on it you will quite easily find rabbits and foxes later in the day or earlier in the morning. Check your maps and try around upper Big River (head in from Marysville). Have done a lot of camping and fishing around there and there are always bunnies. You also hear dogs and there are deer but you are undergunned for them. A 22 will do fine for bunnies on the creek flats. That area is also a LOT closer to Melb than Mitta Mitta.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jul 2015, 7:55 pm

Gwion is pretty right there. I sometimes hunt SF beside farms. Ofter refered to as "fringe country". Also, I travelled about 3 1/2 hrs each way for many yrs to go deer hunting. So your expectations might be a bit high in relation to traveling distance.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Jul 2015, 3:13 pm

Pilch wrote:
Member-Deleted wrote:mount dissapointment

Did it live up to the name? :sarcasm:

Haha.. sadly it did :crazy:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Jul 2015, 3:15 pm

Gwion wrote:Dogs aren't easy to find, mostly. Easier to find on the farm land fringes than in the thick of it all.

If you can find a river or creek flat that has clearings on it you will quite easily find rabbits and foxes later in the day or earlier in the morning. Check your maps and try around upper Big River (head in from Marysville). Have done a lot of camping and fishing around there and there are always bunnies. You also hear dogs and there are deer but you are undergunned for them. A 22 will do fine for bunnies on the creek flats. That area is also a LOT closer to Melb than Mitta Mitta.

Thanks man, might have to set up a camping trip at big river with some fishing thrown in aswell! Hmm I don't think I'll be undergunned for dogs I'm sure a .223 can handle them? Thanks for the tips man its really hard getting into the hunting game by yourself without contacts so tips like this spot are really helpful for someone starting out...
Member-Deleted

Post by North East » 08 Jul 2015, 3:27 pm

You can't fish the rivers in Vic at this time of the year.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 08 Jul 2015, 3:47 pm

As NE say's, it's closed season for trout and trout is all you'll find up there (other than a few greasies). You can fish rivers, just not for trout.

And don't thank me yet. You still have to check out the SF boundaries and such to be sure you are shooting in legal area. Don't shoot from tracks (or have rifle loaded)... etc, etc..... Some is National Park, some is State Forest... make sure you know which is which.

AS i said, find a creek or river flat that has clearings (with no campers!) and is in a legal area and you are well on your way to finding bunnies and foxes. Hell, i had a running war with a fox up that way on a 2 week camping trip (no rifles then, just fishng). The thing busted into my mess bag and spread food every where. Next night it buggered off with my trangia pots. Woke up a few times with it trying to poke it's head in the tent. Got up one morning and it was throwing a bit of rolled up news paper around to itself like your pet fido....... little bastard..... aimed my tommy ax at it but missed (not that it would have done much to the fox but bruise it).

Use resources on DSE web site (or what ever they call themselves these days): interactive maps: add layer: topo: add layer: land management: state forest.
Cross reference these with Google earth to find clearings and meadows, etc..... cross your fingers that there aren't many campers around....

Good luck and stay safe.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by North East » 08 Jul 2015, 4:06 pm

Gwion wrote:..... cross your fingers that there aren't many campers around.....

You will find none around my area except for the very occasional deer hunter.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 08 Jul 2015, 4:26 pm

That's because the Kiewa is too bloody cold. Come to think of it, so is Big River.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by North East » 08 Jul 2015, 4:49 pm

Gwion wrote:That's because the Kiewa is too bloody cold. Come to think of it, so is Big River.....

Going to be worst from Friday night. Snow and blizzards are on the way. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jul 2015, 8:01 pm

Gwion wrote:That's because the Kiewa is too bloody cold. Come to think of it, so is Big River.....

Bloody bunch of sooks. Have a cup of cement and get out there.
Shees
A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Jul 2015, 9:27 am

:lol:

Warm here this morning, due to rain. Last few days have been -5 in the morning.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RealNick » 10 Jul 2015, 11:26 am

Oldbloke wrote:

Bloody bunch of sooks. Have a cup of cement and get out there.

Only if it's warm and with honey :mrgreen:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey