Deer carry out and transport

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Deer carry out and transport

Post by juststarting » 10 Aug 2015, 8:04 pm

Hi All

How and what a do people do bout carrying a deer (being in VIC it's always about deer) out. Especially transport.

Context here, not all of us are farm boys :lol: , with an ability to drive it directly to the shed or something or even hang it, to age... So, for example, assuming you've taken one, field dressed it and carried it down to your car. What then?

Do you just shove the meat in plastic bags and take it home? Do you use a portable refrigerator? An esky? What if you are there overnight, ice? On a bed of dry ice? Etc.

Essentially, how the f*$@# do you get the thing home if you live in a major city and hunting few hundred kilometres away, possibly overnight or more, without the risk of contamination (no idea what contaminant it would be, but whatever) or the meat spoiling.

Thanks
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Deer carry out and transport

Post by sandgroperbill » 10 Aug 2015, 8:05 pm

Field dress then shove it in the passenger side seat
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 10 Aug 2015, 9:08 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Field dress then shove it in the passenger side seat

This literally made me laugh out loud.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Aug 2015, 9:34 pm

I have field dressed cattle in the past and we used big plastic tubs with great success.
The tubs caught all the blood without any leakage.

We had the advantage of choosing the time of day so we didn't get stuck with hundreds of kilos of meat in the heat of the day.

If it were me and I was out a long way from home to get meat I'd pack some large plastic tubs and bags and simply head for home as soon as I got what I headed out for unless it was late in the day and the night was going to be cold, if that were the case I'd hang it overnight, pack it in the morning and head home stopping at the first joint that sold ice.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 10 Aug 2015, 9:44 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Field dress then shove it in the passenger side seat

Front or rear? Sit belt?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Whitey » 10 Aug 2015, 9:54 pm

G'day Juststarting
First of deer are bloody heavy unless it's a small fellow there's not much chance of you being able to move it far, but don't distress find yourself one of these setups
image.jpg
image.jpg (98.17 KiB) Viewed 2656 times

Then when you do happen to bag one you only have to get it to the closest tree and hoist it up. For a beginner I would suggest checking out a few utube vids on field dressing to get your head around gutting it. Then if your unable to get close enough to load it whole quarter it or even half it if you can manage the weight (for this I use a wood saw). I like to set mine up skin on every-one has different ideas on this as in hot weather it can stop the carcass cooling as quickly but fortunately I have a large cool room on the farm and never shoot my meat deer far from home. Get yourself some meat bags in a pinch you can sow a couple of old cotton sheets together if your hanging them at your camp make sure to tie the tops of the bags of well as to make sure no flies get in, if your out this time of the year no worries hanging in a good shady spot for a couple of days, summer only about 24 hours depending on how much shade and breeze you can find to hang it in. Then when ya get it home lay it out on a suitable bench and back to the utube vids on how to break it down. If you're not experienced at butchering you are bound to have a lot of weird cuts of meat but don't be discouraged it takes practice anything you're really unhappy with turn into stir fry chunks or dog tucker, everyone starts somewhere mate
Cheers Whitey
Whitey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 11 Aug 2015, 5:46 am

Heave it onto the bonnet and tie it on.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Will » 11 Aug 2015, 10:55 am

If you can't drive to the carcass you won't be able to carry back anything but the smallest deer.

Even then a small chital or fallow doe is 30kg so it won't be a stroll, and they can easily be double that or more. Forget trying to move a Sambar or Red.

+1 for field dressing and carry it back in sections.
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey