Hunt Reports

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunt Reports

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Feb 2017, 2:55 pm

Oh dear LOL
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by YoungBuck » 07 Feb 2017, 3:02 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
YoungBuck wrote:Finally broke the drought. Hadn't nabbed one since October last year! :oops:

He looked like a young one in the scope, but seeing all the grey on him he's been around for a while I'd say. Shot in Vic state forest, found him while I was stalking through, not called.

Top job YB, tell us a bit more about the outfit if you would (the good/bad about it etc) :drinks:

Outfit? Are you talking about the rifle?
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Feb 2017, 3:08 pm

YoungBuck wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
YoungBuck wrote:Finally broke the drought. Hadn't nabbed one since October last year! :oops:

He looked like a young one in the scope, but seeing all the grey on him he's been around for a while I'd say. Shot in Vic state forest, found him while I was stalking through, not called.

Top job YB, tell us a bit more about the outfit if you would (the good/bad about it etc) :drinks:

Yes mate your rifle not what you were wearing :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 07 Feb 2017, 3:23 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
YoungBuck wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Awwww....

And here i thought we were getting into "fashions in the field"! :lol: :clap: :drinks: :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deye243 » 07 Feb 2017, 3:33 pm

Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
YoungBuck wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Awwww....

And here i thought we were getting into "fashions in the field"! :lol: :clap: :drinks: :lol:

yep cammo at night :lol: :lol: :lol:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 07 Feb 2017, 5:28 pm

It's a Ruger American Rimfire chambered in .22 magnum with a synthetic stock (not sure if you can even get timber stock from factory).
On the top is a 4-16x50 nikko-stirling with half mil-dot readings on a traditional cross hair.
Not really many downsides with this rifle, the only real complaint I've got is the stock isn't spot on, the end of the stock is just barely touching the barrel and over time will probably wear away on the barrel. Need to get some sand paper on it and wear it back.
Replaceable raised cheek piece is perfect height for me, much better that my little savage as far as comfort goes.
Bolt slide is smooth and tight, no rattly movement like on the savage and the trigger is very nice, broad so it hugs your whole finger and adjustable.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Feb 2017, 8:47 pm

Sounds good to me mate - thanks for that :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by YoungBuck » 03 Apr 2017, 6:15 pm

Well this was the first time in the 2 years I've now been shooting that I've finally seen a feral cat. Shot in Vic state forest.
Attachments
20170403_132840.jpg
20170403_132840.jpg (625.43 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 03 Apr 2017, 6:23 pm

On_One-Wheel, Gee that's a big pussy you'r got there,any idea what weight?

And yes, Haven't been out for awhile, had a little blow through here plus rain, called it "Debbie" but have been trapping a few feral cats, hardly hunting, more like frustrating!
The flood and rain would have spread the feral dogs out a bit but when it dries out....
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 03 Apr 2017, 7:21 pm

Didn't have anything to weigh it with, though he felt a little heavier than my cat at home and he weighs 6kg so this bloke probably somewhere between 6 and 7kg.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Apr 2017, 7:34 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Well this was the first time in the 2 years I've now been shooting that I've finally seen a feral cat. Shot in Vic state forest.

Well I must admit I'm a tad jealous, I haven't shot a cat for yonks. Great work.

A dead cat is a good cat.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 14 May 2017, 1:42 pm

This thread has been quiet for a while now, 1.5 months since anyone has posted the goods from a hunt!
I'm planning to go for a shoot somewhere tomorrow, will post up the results if I actually get anything!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 15 May 2017, 9:28 am

bentaz wrote:
1494721652800-1724521795.jpg

I went for a stroll this morning to try and get a few bunnies for the pot.
All i came home with was some mushrooms, oh well mushie soup it is!

Did you procure them near cow pats?
And have you travelled to a different dimension yet? ;)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by discostu » 22 May 2017, 1:32 pm

Packed Up.jpg
Packed Up.jpg (650.67 KiB) Viewed 6099 times
First Sambar .308WIN.jpg
First Sambar .308WIN.jpg (668.77 KiB) Viewed 6099 times
So on my very first hunt just before Christmas 2016, I had been waiting for other people to get lined up and ready to go because I didn’t want to go by myself for the first time. After lots of people pulling out last minute I decided to just pack my gear and head out for a walk around in the Southern Strathbogie ranges near Merton. I spent about three hours bumbling through the bush spooking lots of roos, wallabies etc but not a deer in sight. Only after a few hours I already thought this is harder that I though it would be. So I jumped back in the Triton (unloading the Tikka .308 of course and placing it on the back seat) and decided to drive about another 1000m to a spot I could set up the swag. 100m from where I initially parked, looked over to the creek and there is a young Sambar spiker about 80m away having an evening drink. It was about 1950 by this time and I thought there was no way I could stop, get the rifle out, load it and then take a shot. I was as quiet as possible but he was just standing there staring at me so I lay down in the prone position, put the crosshairs of the Burris Droptine 3-9x40 just behind the shoulder and down he went to the Tikka T3X .308 using Sellier and Bellot SPCE 150gr. After 45min in the dark using the head torch I had the pack loaded up with legs and backstraps and back to the car for the very happy drive home.

Location is in the Strathbogie Ranges near Merton, VIC.
discostu
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by discostu » 22 May 2017, 1:34 pm

Another pic of sighting in with the new Tikka
Attachments
Sighting In.jpg
Sighting In.jpg (390.14 KiB) Viewed 6098 times
discostu
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 May 2017, 3:09 pm

1 in a 1000. Lucky lad.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 23 May 2017, 2:30 pm

Had our first fox drive of the year on sunday , got six. Got to shoot two so I was stoked ! :-)
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Pig ambush

Post by albat » 03 Jun 2017, 10:26 am

IMG_2176-2.jpg
IMG_2176-2.jpg (142.56 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
Went out all this week to freezing cold texas qld set up the aldi trail cam on a couple of well used pig routes to the local grain silos found the pigs were coming through at about 2am of a morning so set up in the tree line and placed plenty of crunchy stuff on the trail way back so could hear em rollin in not that you needed it with the squealin and grunting they made coming through ,got in place at midnight, was three below zero 5 layers on was shivering like f---k waited 2 hours then got onto a mob of 10 or so pigs shot this one with the 243 at 30 metres after lighting em up.with the lamp going throgh a fence line mate shot a big one with the side by side 12 guage with a solid slug
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jun 2017, 10:37 am

Good onya albat.
Went out for a whistle for a fox last night. Property owner has lost a few kids lately. Bugger didn't show, even with the new Scott predator call.

The interesting thing is only saw 2 rabbits. The latest virus release has had a big effect where I am. Must be at least 80% fatalities.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by albat » 03 Jun 2017, 10:49 am

Ye oldbloke same deal where i was last week saw one rabbit all week even under the spottie saw more deer than rabbits
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by d3driver » 05 Jun 2017, 4:20 pm

discostu wrote:Another pic of sighting in with the new Tikka

Hey Stu, have I seen your username on AULRO?
Currently:
Weatherby VG S2 in .223 in Boyds Thumbhole, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50
Sako Finnfire Hunter .22, Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (my old .22 bought back)
d3driver
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Osty » 13 Jun 2017, 4:09 pm

After months and months of putting feelers out and contacting landowners, I've finally bagged my first Tasmanian fallow deer. Got the shot off at first light on a frosty Sunday morning after a ~30 minute moonlit walk to a small clearing in alpine scrub. Pretty stoked to have done it with hand loads I've been working on too. Cheers lads! :drinks:
Osty
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by juststarting » 13 Jun 2017, 4:11 pm

Exciting!
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 13 Jun 2017, 4:46 pm

Cat I shot the other night. Shot with a .204 in the chest at about 70yrds using a led lenser H7.2 Headlamp as a spotty. Didn't weigh him but he was a healthy looking bugger.
Attachments
IMG_5265.JPG
IMG_5265.JPG (185.78 KiB) Viewed 5777 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 13 Jun 2017, 4:53 pm

Baby puma?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 13 Jun 2017, 6:30 pm

:thumbsup: I think so JS very young and had big paws.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by discostu » 14 Jun 2017, 10:31 am

d3driver wrote:
discostu wrote:Another pic of sighting in with the new Tikka

Hey Stu, have I seen your username on AULRO?

Nah not me mate, driving a Trition
discostu
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by discostu » 20 Jun 2017, 11:31 am

Heading out to the Kevington, Flourbag Creek area for the next three days in the hope of filling up the freezer for winter. There will be two of us there in a white Triton if anyone is around UHF Ch 28.Will post a report and photos when I get back on Friday night.
discostu
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jul 2017, 9:21 pm

I haven't been out much lately due to family reasons and had no results for the last 5 or 6 trips out. Not like me as I usually whistle in and shoot a fox every 2 or 3 trips.
But headed out late thisavo to a mates property just out of town. I set up my blind and gave the button whistle a go for about 15 minutes and no result. So out with the new scotch predator call. After about 5 minutes I could smell fox and the breeze had done a 180. Bugger! So figuring there is one behind me I didn't move hoping it would circle. But it was a no show. 10 minutes later it's getting close to dark and I'm thinking of heading in for a beer with my mate.

Lambs start running in every direction and sure enough about 1 minute later a fox appears over the crest. He was headed in my general direction. Using my rest I waited until he was about 70 meters out. As he paused to have a look around, bang flop with the 223. A nice dog.
I broke the drought at last. Just gotta get his Mrs now. They have accounted for a fair few lambs and kids over the last few months.

20170707 Fox.JPG
20170707 Fox.JPG (87.04 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 08 Jul 2017, 1:47 am

Good job OB... :thumbsup:

That's just the kind of pic that the guys and gals that are looking for access to new hunting grounds, need to show the farmers when asking for access on their properties... That's exactly how I used to get access to a lot of new properties back in the day.. It should not be underestimated just how much of an impact, on the decision that either a bunch of dead foxes on the back of the Ute from the night before and or a bunch of photos of dead foxes that may have otherwise been eating their profits ! can make !!!!!! :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control