Hunt Reports

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunt Reports

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Jul 2017, 1:56 pm

If there is one thing, OK several actually, BUT this continually referring to the offspring of animals as "BABIES" :crazy: ; NO they are NOT!!!
In this case, it's a PIGLET, FFS :evil: I thought as hunters, we of all people could use the correct description. :(

Phew, rave over, feel better. :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Jul 2017, 2:23 pm

Yep good eating the piglets( little piggies) as my grandaughter says
Tear the hide off and gut,gut full of pumpkin,potatoes,onion,garlic,oyster sauce wrap in alfoil and put into camp oven and cook
When ready wash down with a couple of coldies ( heaven )

cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jul 2017, 2:43 pm

Do I miss understand?

Did you just admit to shooting two senators from the upper house? And you ate one too!
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 22 Jul 2017, 3:18 pm

Nah didn't take any for the table on this occasion, I'm not a fan of boar and the sucker had pellets hit all the choice cuts so I left them.....back there again this Friday for round two......have been hunting that paddock for about a year now ( probably a dozen trips give or take) and have sighted pigs twice but haven't managed to get a round or arrow into one, always signs of them passing through but since the grass has grown and the billabongs are full they are living in there, was great to finally nail a couple, missed/spooked a few too, came up on a good mob bedded down in the grass with 308 (Lithgow) in hand and had failure feed and stove pipe problems with lucky 13 ten shot mag, lucky pigs, I was close enough to spit on them, they all scattered and lived to fight another day........Friday can't come soon enough.....
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Jul 2017, 3:23 pm

Yep 2 suckers but the one from the upper house took 2 slabs of beer to get the taste out of my mouth
We burned the one from the lower house incase it had foot in mouth desease

cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 22 Jul 2017, 7:04 pm

fair point they are piglets.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 22 Jul 2017, 7:46 pm

So baby piglet?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 22 Jul 2017, 7:50 pm

:sarcasm:
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by d3driver » 24 Jul 2017, 8:32 am

juststarting wrote:So baby piglet?

I went to the ATM machine but couldn't get any money out as I entered my ABN number instead of my PIN number... lol
Currently:
Weatherby VG S2 in .223 in Boyds Thumbhole, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50
Sako Finnfire Hunter .22, Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (my old .22 bought back)
d3driver
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 29 Jul 2017, 10:33 am

Went for a walk at seven last night , need the exercise ! Took the 204 in case the foxes were about .
Attachments
IMG_20170728_192604.jpg
IMG_20170728_192604.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 5860 times
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 12:37 pm

Good work.I miss the farm I lived at
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jul 2017, 12:43 pm

Grouse. Another one bites the dust. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 29 Jul 2017, 6:58 pm

Thanks fellas , only saw the one so I only got one ! :-)
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jul 2017, 7:13 pm

One less eating our fauna. Great

Comment, if you are a rabbit, fox, pig or goat shooter you should be proud to be called a true greeny.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2017, 5:07 pm

How about a wild dog shooter does that qualify me or should i take up shooting one of the other four ( lol )

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2017, 5:13 pm

grandadbushy wrote:How about a wild dog shooter does that qualify me or should i take up shooting one of the other four ( lol )

Cheers

Please forgive me. Any successful wild dog killer is a hero to greenies and all true Aussie's.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 30 Jul 2017, 5:15 pm

d3driver wrote:
juststarting wrote:So baby piglet?

I went to the ATM machine but couldn't get any money out as I entered my ABN number instead of my PIN number... lol

That's exactly what was going through my head when I was typing.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2017, 5:21 pm

Thanks boys means a lot to know i'm doing some good for a change

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Jul 2017, 8:24 pm

O Gee, Thanks OB, that's the nicest thing i've had said about me all month.. :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2017, 8:47 pm

RoginaJack wrote:O Gee, Thanks OB, that's the nicest thing i've had said about me all month.. :D

Same goes for cat and fox shooters.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 31 Jul 2017, 10:26 am

Hi All - think this is my first post in this thread, as a new hunter I have not had much to post.

I have been having some luck with my property search near the family beach house in South Gippsland. It's convenient as I can take the family up for a weekend mini-holiday but can sneak out early in the morning for a quick hunt/scout. My latest success was whilst driving to the beach with the family I spotted a sneaky fox gunning it across the road into a large farm. I thought - what the hell and drove up into the drive way and was met by a beautiful GSP and a really nice lady that owned the property. After a quick chat I got the nod of approval and a phone number, with the last bit of information being the place is approx 1500 acres (!!! Biggest property yet for me!). Next trip sorted! She tells me the place is riddled with bunnies and foxes, and plenty deer (!!!) from an old deer farm that was shut down and deer left to go wild (I'm not sure I can wing another gun/bigger call this year with wifey lol). The place is only a 10 minute drive to the beach - could get some fishing in too!

Anyhow - I headed out Sunday morning to one of the other properties I've been able to get onto to see if I can snag a fox that I missed out on a few weeks ago. I'm yet to bag a fox, and really keen to do so - so I was pretty dedicated to calling one in. After calling for a good hour into a solid headwind, after ignoring the many white flashes of bunny asses bouncing along the fences of the property, the pressure of going home empty handed won and I thought I would have a crack at a bunny at decent range with the 223. I could see an area where they kept popping in and out of and settled into the mud and probable cow s**t to get a nice steady supported position. He kept coming out of cover however was not comfortable with the shot presented so patiently waited a while till he showed me a good shot. In hindsight - I should have went with the headshot (we eat bunnies!) however I've been a little worried about the Howa, particularly thee scope as I have missed a few easy shots (I now know it's likely me!) so aimed at centre of mass.

Boom - thwack, bunny down. He didn't move. .Was a decent shot at a good distance (by my standards). Bunny looked in decent condition when I got to him - after cleaning him up at home I realised I was wrong and he was mush on the inside. Pity - felt like a waste of meat however one less pest for the farmer to deal with.

Anyhow - sorry, long post, however I love this stuff and can talk about it for hours, and unfortunately for me, I'm in IT and work in an office and this topic is a spiky one where I work, so I have no one to tell my stories ;)

Anyhow, posted a few pictures, one of the beautiful hills I get to stare at as the sun rises. Next trip is to visit that 1500 acre property and see if I can bring that GSP along :D

FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 31 Jul 2017, 5:04 pm

Looks like a nice spot FlyingStick....

I got out again on Friday, searched all morning for pigs and didn't see a thing for hours. Stopped for a bite to eat on top of a dirt mound up the end of the paddock, looked like pigs had been up there very recently. I was standing there munching away on a muesli bar (shotgun still in hand) minding my own business and I look down and around 15 metres away two pigs were leisurely walking up the hill towards me, they noticed me just as I noticed them, for a moment we looked at each other in shock/surprise and as we realised what was going on up came the shottie as the pigs turn to leg it into the thick tall grass, I pull the trigger and get a solid hit on a broadside boar, this didn't stop him though, he took off at full noise into the thick stuff, a quick follow up shot into pig number two's back end and he was off like a shot too, I ran after them in hot pursuit and came across a medium sized black and white pig off to my right quartering away, got a shot into that one too it let out a squeal and kept going. Came up on pig number two again and got another shot into him but still he didn't go down, in the meantime there were a few more pigs taking off in all directions but I couldn't get a visual to take another shot, it all died down after that so I set upon the task of finding the ones I'd shot as I was confident at least 2 of them would be piled up close by.
I search for 30-40 mins and couldn't find a thing, not even a blood trail, I was positive I got a couple of good shots in but started to second guess myself and gave up looking.
Anyway, fast forward to the afternoon and I came up to the same area and had another look while I was there, after 5 mins I found boar number one lying there in the grass only 20-30 metres from where I shot him, this set my mind at ease a bit, I had a look around for the others but it's so thick in there that you pretty much have to trip over them to find them, even when you see where they drop.
On the hike back to camp, I had a big black and white boar run past across the paddock around 100 metres away, needed the rifle for this guy, to far for the shottie, I watched him run down into the creek, and up the other side joined by his mob of 10 or so that must have been down in the creek bed foraging, I ran after them and tracked them through the scrub for a bit, got within 70-80 metres before I lost them, apart from a little mob of piglets that was the last of the action for the weekend...
I've attached a pic of pig number one, he's a little bloated from sitting out the the sun all day.
Attachments
IMG_3883.JPG
IMG_3883.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 5811 times
Last edited by Pythonkeeper on 31 Jul 2017, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 31 Jul 2017, 5:48 pm

FlyingStick wrote:Anyhow - sorry, long post, however I love this stuff and can talk about it for hours, and unfortunately for me, I'm in IT and work in an office and this topic is a spiky one where I work, so I have no one to tell my stories ;)

Nice one, I'm in the same boat working in IT and I think I might be about the only shooter in the whole organisation so I don't get to share a lot of stories.
You are fortunate to have access to good land like that, make sure you keep up the good relations with the owner!

Pythonkeeper wrote:I got out again on Friday, searched all morning for pigs and didn't see a thing for hours.

This is one thing I don't like about Vic, the pigs that are around here are very very scarce. I'm hanging to hunt some pigs, I still need to plan that pig hunting trip. :oops:
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 14 Aug 2017, 10:31 pm

Where have all the bunnies and foxes gone? Went to my usual property, spotlighted on foot all round the property, not a single eye twinkle in sight (apart from 6 possums).
Then the next day, hit up another forest not far away for nearly 5 hours on foot calling all throughout... not a fox/bunny/hare in sight (but about 30 friggin wallabies) :unknown:
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Aug 2017, 10:45 pm

Youngbuck.
I think the last release of the calci virus has hit the rabbits pretty hard. It's winter and the strain was designed to work better in higher rain fall areas. Released about 5 months ago. Hardly any in my region.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Aug 2017, 8:20 am

Well done boys keep the stories coming. I was out the other week shooting a few foxes with my mate who was operating the spotlight whilst I was on the gun, we saw 3 and got to shoot at 2 with both those hitting the deck which was great, longest shot was just over 300m and the other around 200m resulting in a sore head for the fox LOL, the other shot resulted in a hole in the boiler room which was a great result too, they sure are flighty at this time of year, some are happy to sit for a few seconds and others are gone as soon as the light hits em.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 15 Aug 2017, 11:19 am

Great yarn both.been there I know how hard it is to stop shaking after the action.Did you have solids or SG
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Aug 2017, 11:33 am

"not to many pests though." I thought you had a really big pest you would like to eliminate. :allegedly:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 15 Aug 2017, 8:19 pm

Got away to one of my very favourite blocks last week. Got onto a couple of young nannies and filled part of the freezer. These photos tell the best part of the story.......

_20170815_194811.JPG
_20170815_194811.JPG (665.33 KiB) Viewed 5696 times

_20170815_194744.JPG
_20170815_194744.JPG (427.44 KiB) Viewed 5696 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Aug 2017, 8:33 pm

Love eating Goat! well done mate.
bigfellascott