Hunt Reports

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunt Reports

Post by Stix » 20 Dec 2017, 8:38 am

winton wrote:
Stix wrote:I know its only boring bunnies,

Awesome report Stix. Not boring now that Calici-virus's being released.

Thanks winton...yes the virus has played a part...ive not been lucky with access to bunnies like this since before the original virus was released, so it was like xmas for me...
And although i missed a few shots, the misses were full misses, so not one bunny got away with even a graze...
Cheers mate.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Dec 2017, 8:42 am

marksman wrote:good job stix :thumbsup:
and I really like that stock mate, great fiddle back :clap:

Thanks marksman...

Yes the stock is a nice one. Its a shame it doesnt have any great figure in it also, but having ssis that im not complaining...in fact im quite fond of it.
Cheers marksman.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 27 Dec 2017, 2:43 pm

Been at my relo's house for a few nights over Christmas, they own 650 acres which I was pretty wrapped with :D

Below is what I ended up with from 2 nights of hunting. The other shooter who was with me also got another 2 hares, didn't get a photo of them.
Attachments
114_resized.jpg
114_resized.jpg (109.88 KiB) Viewed 6617 times
20171224_080323_resized.jpg
20171224_080323_resized.jpg (225.75 KiB) Viewed 6617 times
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 27 Dec 2017, 8:15 pm

Good on ya...!!

Im jealous though...im stuck 1km underground for 12 hrs a day while you get to go shoot'n...!

What you bowl them over with...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 28 Dec 2017, 7:46 am

The Ruger American Rimfire in .22 Mag mate. The night we got 3, the wind was blowing like crazy and they came in pretty easily. Went out 2 nights later and it was a clear and still night, ended up seeing 6 or 7 foxes under the light but just could not get them within 100m.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Dec 2017, 5:46 pm

Good one YB.
I haven't seen a fox last three jaunts. But most of my spots are near towns. Should get out Monday. Will venture further north next week. You know where. Heres hoping.
Nothing like a dead fox to lift the spirits.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 29 Dec 2017, 9:34 pm

Paddock to plate. Home-made goat burgers with chips and salad from our veggie garden. This is why I hunt.

_20171229_215544.JPG
_20171229_215544.JPG (393.71 KiB) Viewed 6542 times

_20171229_215631.JPG
_20171229_215631.JPG (335.29 KiB) Viewed 6542 times

_20171229_215705.JPG
_20171229_215705.JPG (731.38 KiB) Viewed 6542 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 30 Dec 2017, 7:50 am

Goat burgers... there's an idea i might have to try.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 Dec 2017, 8:49 am

Gwion wrote:Goat burgers... there's an idea i might have to try.

My kids love them
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 30 Dec 2017, 10:01 am

YoungBuck wrote:The Ruger American Rimfire in .22 Mag mate. The night we got 3, the wind was blowing like crazy and they came in pretty easily. Went out 2 nights later and it was a clear and still night, ended up seeing 6 or 7 foxes under the light but just could not get them within 100m.

Bummer...you may have put the shi(t)s up them the first night.
Im a fan of 22-250 for foxes (although its over kill-a .222/223 is more than ample), but one day get yourself a 22 cal c/f & you'll bowl them all over...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 30 Dec 2017, 10:28 am

Hey bentarrow...this is a hunt report thread--not a white goods sales thread...! (PS-i have the same toaster but mine is a blue one)

Now i have to go buy a mincer to convert some of this goat stock to mince...thanks for the further expense...!!!
2017-12-30 10.33.54.jpg
20kg's of goat-vaccuum packed.
2017-12-30 10.33.54.jpg (349.63 KiB) Viewed 6514 times
:sarcasm:

Seriously though, do you have a recipe...?
...add other meat like pork...?
...or just all goat meat...?
...im keen to see how it goes in bog sauce...you tried that...?
Also, have you tried older billy...?
I kept the back legs of a big 4 tooth billy to experiment with (he didnt smell too bad at all...!) & i havnt decided what to do with it yet--probably curry--but mincing might be an option too...
Sorry for 20 questions... :)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 Dec 2017, 1:19 pm

I like the look of your freezer. I'm having what Steve Rinella calls a meat crisis at the moment. Must get out and fill it up again but he boy is hooked on smacking bunnies with the air rifle at the moment.

Those burgers are pretty plain: 1kg mince, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 2 eggs, medium chopped spring onion, salt, pepper, table spoon of Worcestershire sauce. Add any spices you like if you want some zing. Make the patties, roll them in a bit of plain flour so they don't stick to each other and stick them aside in the fridge for a couple of hours. Chuck em on the BBQ and your good to go.

I was going to make spag bog tonight but the boy has asked if we can have burgers again......

When you buy the mincer, get a pie maker as well. Goat pies are fantastic

I never bother taking meat from billies for human consumption, I generally target younger nannies. The farmer is averaging $100 per goat so I leave the billies alone as they are bigger and worth more to him alive than they are to me in my freezer......keeps everyone happy.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Hoot » 30 Dec 2017, 1:27 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:I like the look of your freezer. I'm having what Steve Rinella calls a meat crisis at the moment. Must get out and fill it up again but he boy is hooked on smacking bunnies with the air rifle at the moment.

How good is the show MeatEater on Netflix? I stumbled across it over the holidays visiting the in-laws and it kept me distracted from all the kids running around going nuts on too much sugar. I've never eaten anything that I've shot and prepared myself, that's going onto the to do list for 2018.
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 30 Dec 2017, 1:34 pm

Hoot wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:I like the look of your freezer. I'm having what Steve Rinella calls a meat crisis at the moment. Must get out and fill it up again but he boy is hooked on smacking bunnies with the air rifle at the moment.

How good is the show MeatEater on Netflix? I stumbled across it over the holidays visiting the in-laws and it kept me distracted from all the kids running around going nuts on too much sugar. I've never eaten anything that I've shot and prepared myself, that's going onto the to do list for 2018.

The show is great, just wish they would put all of the series/episodes up.

If you haven't eaten something you have shot your self, you are missing out on something really special.

There is little in life that I find more satisfying than sitting down to a meal where everything on the table has been harvested by our family. Get to it, it will change your perspective on life
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Dec 2017, 5:39 pm

Forget old billies, even my dogs knock it back.

But kid is great, just like lamb but very lean. Yum, it's been a long time.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Hoot » 30 Dec 2017, 7:53 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:The show is great, just wish they would put all of the series/episodes up.

If you haven't eaten something you have shot your self, you are missing out on something really special.

There is little in life that I find more satisfying than sitting down to a meal where everything on the table has been harvested by our family. Get to it, it will change your perspective on life

There are two seasons on Netflix, I didn't realize there were more! I'll have to track them down.. I'm normally not into cooking anything that takes more than 5 minutes on the BBQ but I really like the bits of that show that show him killing, quartering and cooking something that he went and got himself.

I'm sure it's easier said than done, I've got a lot to learn when it comes to this business, but better late than never! Once I get the hang of some target shooting, I'll have to get some boots and see what I can find.
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Corn » 30 Dec 2017, 9:02 pm

I have the first 4 seasons of Meat Eater & I’ve seen seasons 5 & 6 on Netflix.
For his birthday recently, I bought my son 2 of Steve Rinella’s books, The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering & Cooking Wild Game Vol 1 Big Game & Vol 2 Small Game & Fowl.
It’s one of the better hunting shows on tv/Netflix.
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 31 Dec 2017, 8:26 am

Hoot wrote:
I'm sure it's easier said than done, I've got a lot to learn when it comes to this business, but better late than never! Once I get the hang of some target shooting, I'll have to get some boots and see what I can find.

Get your boots now and wear them to the range. Tthat way by th e time you gobout hunting they will be broken in and you wont get blisters.

Also, at the range, don't spend all your time on the bench. Practice off hand standing, kneeling, sitting. Take shots from awkward positions off less that optimal rests..... etc.. that way you will be more ready for the field. Shooting nice groups off the bench is far different from putting the first round in an effective kill zone. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by tom604 » 31 Dec 2017, 9:54 am

Oldbloke wrote:Forget old billies, even my dogs knock it back.

But kid is great, just like lamb but very lean. Yum, it's been a long time.

young nannies are good as well (kids are better) , i know old billies are uneatable (they are called stinkies for a reason) but i would of thought that a young four tooth billy may pass muster,never tried billy myself but i'm thinking of giving it a go as i mainly shoot billys and hate seeing all that meat go to waste. talking young four tooth, short hair(bit cleaner) never had a root type of goat,,,that reads bad :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Dec 2017, 10:14 am

Gwion wrote:
Hoot wrote:

Get your boots now and wear them to the range. Tthat way by th e time you gobout hunting they will be broken in and you wont get blisters.

Also, at the range, don't spend all your time on the bench. Practice off hand standing, kneeling, sitting. Take shots from awkward positions off less that optimal rests..... etc.. that way you will be more ready for the field. Shooting nice groups off the bench is far different from putting the first round in an effective kill zone. :thumbsup:

Yep could not agree more. Everyone is chasing 0.5moa off the bench. Often with fairly expensive rifles and scopes. If your a hunter except for very long range 1 moa is plenty. Very hard shoot that good in the field.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 31 Dec 2017, 10:59 am

Hey bentarrow.
My freezer doesnt look like that anymore...that was 5 months ago & most of its gone now from eating & giving to friends.
I was invited to that hunt & we were asked to bowl all seen goats over due to numbers.

Unfortunately i dont have a private property to go chasing goats so i dont know how long my leftover goat stash will last, or if ill get invited back before it runs out...make the most of it while i got it...!

Tom604--my thoughts precisely...!!! I dont keep billies but thought id try this one as experiment as it didnt smell bad at all & wasnt really old--from memory only just a 4 toofa...

Sounds like i need to get more tech savvy & figure this netflix stuff--sounds like im missing out on some good viewing--although i dont really have time to watch much tv.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 31 Dec 2017, 4:46 pm

One on land based animals

https://youtu.be/bEe1jAuWpA0

and one on the quackers

https://youtu.be/B_PHtd8azVg
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2018, 5:02 pm

I had to go for a drive yesterday so as it was in the avo & not far from one of the SFs I hunt I tossed in the 3006. (there is the odd deer in the area)
Well blow me down walking back to the ute and whats sitting on the track? Yep a 3/4 grown fox at about 50-60 meters. So I sat down let him have a 180gr Hornady interlock in the chest. The couple of times I've done that in the past the bullet just penciled straight through, not this one. That really suprised me.
BTW I missed his brother, I was too slow getting into position and the shot was probably getting close to the horizon, so let him go.

Sooo looks like 180gr's would be OK for dogs too. But then it did hit the spine on the way out.

Sorry about the blood and guts admin.

IMG20180115193957.jpg
IMG20180115193957.jpg (473.94 KiB) Viewed 6857 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 Jan 2018, 5:10 pm

They are resilient, better put another one in it, in case it's just stunned :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2018, 5:28 pm

The funny thing is, last 3 times I've been there took the 223 whistling and saw bugger all.

Yesterday just saw the fox.

I'll take the 22lr Brno next, will see a deer for sure then. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Jan 2018, 7:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I had to go for a drive yesterday so as it was in the avo & not far from one of the SFs I hunt I tossed in the 3006. (there is the odd deer in the area)
Well blow me down walking back to the ute and whats sitting on the track? Yep a 3/4 grown fox at about 50-60 meters.

Nice one :thumbsup:
Persistence pays off!!!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2018, 7:54 pm

Nah , the black dog had got him and he committed suicide. :violin:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jan 2018, 11:00 pm

Ya know Oldbloke fox not knowing anything about firearms it probably thought '' Whats this old bugga pointing his
walking stick at me for ''then its lights went out
Good on ya mate one less native animal killer
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by YoungBuck » 04 Feb 2018, 8:50 am

Had a wander through SF on Saturday morning, called in one but got away before I could get a clear shot (pretty sure he heard me flick the safety off).
Then this boy below I stumbled onto and he took a 70gr through the chest. My first kill with the .243, made quite the hole on the other side of him.
Attachments
20180203_113232.jpg
20180203_113232.jpg (647.49 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Feb 2018, 9:33 am

:thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control