Hunt Reports

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunt Reports

Post by tom604 » 31 Dec 2017, 9:54 am

Oldbloke wrote:Forget old billies, even my dogs knock it back.

But kid is great, just like lamb but very lean. Yum, it's been a long time.

young nannies are good as well (kids are better) , i know old billies are uneatable (they are called stinkies for a reason) but i would of thought that a young four tooth billy may pass muster,never tried billy myself but i'm thinking of giving it a go as i mainly shoot billys and hate seeing all that meat go to waste. talking young four tooth, short hair(bit cleaner) never had a root type of goat,,,that reads bad :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Dec 2017, 10:14 am

Gwion wrote:
Hoot wrote:
I'm sure it's easier said than done, I've got a lot to learn when it comes to this business, but better late than never! Once I get the hang of some target shooting, I'll have to get some boots and see what I can find.

Get your boots now and wear them to the range. Tthat way by th e time you gobout hunting they will be broken in and you wont get blisters.

Also, at the range, don't spend all your time on the bench. Practice off hand standing, kneeling, sitting. Take shots from awkward positions off less that optimal rests..... etc.. that way you will be more ready for the field. Shooting nice groups off the bench is far different from putting the first round in an effective kill zone. :thumbsup:

Yep could not agree more. Everyone is chasing 0.5moa off the bench. Often with fairly expensive rifles and scopes. If your a hunter except for very long range 1 moa is plenty. Very hard shoot that good in the field.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 31 Dec 2017, 10:59 am

Hey bentarrow.
My freezer doesnt look like that anymore...that was 5 months ago & most of its gone now from eating & giving to friends.
I was invited to that hunt & we were asked to bowl all seen goats over due to numbers.

Unfortunately i dont have a private property to go chasing goats so i dont know how long my leftover goat stash will last, or if ill get invited back before it runs out...make the most of it while i got it...!

Tom604--my thoughts precisely...!!! I dont keep billies but thought id try this one as experiment as it didnt smell bad at all & wasnt really old--from memory only just a 4 toofa...

Sounds like i need to get more tech savvy & figure this netflix stuff--sounds like im missing out on some good viewing--although i dont really have time to watch much tv.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 31 Dec 2017, 4:46 pm

One on land based animals

https://youtu.be/bEe1jAuWpA0

and one on the quackers

https://youtu.be/B_PHtd8azVg
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2018, 5:02 pm

I had to go for a drive yesterday so as it was in the avo & not far from one of the SFs I hunt I tossed in the 3006. (there is the odd deer in the area)
Well blow me down walking back to the ute and whats sitting on the track? Yep a 3/4 grown fox at about 50-60 meters. So I sat down let him have a 180gr Hornady interlock in the chest. The couple of times I've done that in the past the bullet just penciled straight through, not this one. That really suprised me.
BTW I missed his brother, I was too slow getting into position and the shot was probably getting close to the horizon, so let him go.

Sooo looks like 180gr's would be OK for dogs too. But then it did hit the spine on the way out.

Sorry about the blood and guts admin.

IMG20180115193957.jpg
IMG20180115193957.jpg (473.94 KiB) Viewed 6855 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 Jan 2018, 5:10 pm

They are resilient, better put another one in it, in case it's just stunned :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2018, 5:28 pm

The funny thing is, last 3 times I've been there took the 223 whistling and saw bugger all.

Yesterday just saw the fox.

I'll take the 22lr Brno next, will see a deer for sure then. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Jan 2018, 7:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I had to go for a drive yesterday so as it was in the avo & not far from one of the SFs I hunt I tossed in the 3006. (there is the odd deer in the area)
Well blow me down walking back to the ute and whats sitting on the track? Yep a 3/4 grown fox at about 50-60 meters.

Nice one :thumbsup:
Persistence pays off!!!
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2018, 7:54 pm

Nah , the black dog had got him and he committed suicide. :violin:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jan 2018, 11:00 pm

Ya know Oldbloke fox not knowing anything about firearms it probably thought '' Whats this old bugga pointing his
walking stick at me for ''then its lights went out
Good on ya mate one less native animal killer
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by YoungBuck » 04 Feb 2018, 8:50 am

Had a wander through SF on Saturday morning, called in one but got away before I could get a clear shot (pretty sure he heard me flick the safety off).
Then this boy below I stumbled onto and he took a 70gr through the chest. My first kill with the .243, made quite the hole on the other side of him.
Attachments
20180203_113232.jpg
20180203_113232.jpg (647.49 KiB) Viewed 6702 times
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Feb 2018, 9:33 am

:thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Feb 2018, 1:48 pm

How was the felt recoil?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 04 Feb 2018, 2:27 pm

Not an issue at all. It seem to only at about the 20 rounds mark from a bench that I start to feel it.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Feb 2018, 2:30 pm

Just home from a trip, met up with mates from W.A and A.C.T. Took our W.A friend out to shoot his first deer. 1 hr 20min later he had a nice fat young fallow doe. 1 shot from 200m with a borrowed 7mm-08. He was happy and I now have a fridge full of fresh venison. Topped the trip off with a day of fishing on Burley Griffin for a bucket load of redfin, ( binned ) and two nice ( 40 & 41cm ) yellow bellies, ( both returned to the water ), and then a day at Majura Range shooting silhouette. Ah...., life's good. :drinks:
P.S. Haven't been sent the photos as of yet, so apparently it didn't happen. :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 27 Feb 2018, 10:31 pm

Didnt you eat the Redfin GR...?

And if you do trips like that, let me know if you want a mate from SA...!! :D
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 28 Feb 2018, 1:11 am

Well (a little over a week ago) i went back to the farm(s) where i was just after xmas & bunnies were in plague...

I had some wild hopes that their numbers were still thick--so i could pull up in one spot & snipe from a distance...
But it wasnt the case...numbers were definately back down to breeding stock only...im guessing the virus may have been through, as well as heavy predation from a large number of foxes around, & also mixi is starting to show in a few that are left...
2018-02-28 01.21.45.jpg
Mixi starting on the remaining breeding stock...
2018-02-28 01.21.45.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 6525 times

Only took 6 bunnies in total, & 2 of them were early stages of mixi.

I took a young lad out with me, & he was happy to get his first kill with his new cz (i rekon the bunny was only 10m if that from the car).

I gave him some shots through .204 on bunnies out to 90 yds but he missed them all...

Anyway, the farmer mentioned there were a few foxes getting around--i usually take this with a pinch of salt as farmers can often see the same fox or 2 every day, & mistake it for many...

So naturally i went out for a look with the light...
Pulled up in one area & blew the whistle--less than 2 mins & eyes appear...it worked its way down wind without giving an opportunity to shoot, finally got within range & pulled up & just as im about to squeeze off it went to ground--just vanished... :shock:
So i kept at the whistle for a bit longer, 2 more sets of eyes ( :thumbsup: im on here...!!)...these were coming in from downwind so i had to get a shot off as soon as the opportunity arose--& it did--"crack" goes the .204, saw the eyes go down & to my left in the scope but no "thud" (thats a worry)...so i turned my attention to the other one--get it in the scope, take up tension, then it did the vanish before my eyes trick...fmd...!!!

So still in the same spot, i kept with the whistle for a bit...got another one in had a shot & must have missed...really, im getting pretty annoyed at everything by this point...!!!
Blew on the whistle for another 5 & waited another 5, then packed it in & went looking for the first fox i shot at
...well fmd, while in the paddick i hear a noise up ahead-- ive ran into another fox coming from downwind side in to the whistle...i only had a bright torch & the 22 with me & the fox skipped out to a good 100yds from me...it toyed with me for another good 10 mins, with me trying to keep out of the wind but it figured me out & did the vanish trick...if only i took the 204 or 22-250 with me into the paddock...!!!

So i went back to the car fox-less & the young fella said i didnt swing around far enough in the paddock to see the first fox i shot at...so off i trek again, this time i think i should wack the scope torch & bipod on the 204, but think all the foxes will be long gone by now...so i leave all rifles behind...

I get 100yds out in the paddock & hear a noise brushing through the small shrubs to my left...so i shine the torch on a fox sitting not more than 50 yds from me...
FMD...Seriously...youve got to be joking...im thinking this must be a joke & im being set up on candid camera...!!!
i didnt find either fox & wasnt in a good mood at all--must have seen 7 or 8 foxes & only got 2 shots off & went home empty handed...

So decided to stay another night...
The wind blew up & didnt make things easy, but had a better night...

Six foxes (from memory).

After the first night, i wasnt taking my time to get shots off, so when this orange skin apoeared in the spotlight 120yds out, i hit the skids & lobbed a 32 grn'r into its chest while it was still on the move.

This is the first fox on the first night...ranged him back to where the car was at 191 yds down wind which might explain not hearing the little 32grn'r hit home...

The foxes were incredibly healthy & good enough to keep for pelts (but i didnt keep any)..hopefully i get one or two later this year with winter coats...

I did keep one fur though...as some of you may have seen...hopefully it tans up well...

Cant wait to get out again...!!!
Last edited by Stix on 07 Apr 2018, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 09 Mar 2018, 8:30 pm

Went for a stroll after work tonight. Gave the Styrofoam on glass trick a whirl for nix, then ripped out a couple of wails with the old tin button whistle and this one came sneaking along the creek line looking for an easy feed but came unstuck
Attachments
_20180309_205405.JPG
Fox
_20180309_205405.JPG (524.83 KiB) Viewed 6829 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 09 Mar 2018, 10:19 pm

That is one healthy looking fox, nice one.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Mar 2018, 11:11 pm

There should be plenty of em floating around at the moment, well done BA.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 10 Mar 2018, 8:54 am

What a way to relax after work...!! :thumbsup:
Im envious...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2018, 10:00 pm

You lucky bastard, what did you shoot them with?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2018, 10:14 pm

Thought it looked like a 222. :thumbsup: Good all-rounder.

I could have helped out with my 30-06.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 21 Mar 2018, 10:49 pm

Good stuff, that will top up the freezer mate.. :thumbsup: some seriously bloody good chewing ya got to look forward to bentaz... :clap: :mrgreen:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 22 Mar 2018, 7:00 am

What general area was that, Bentaz?
A few good ones by the looks of it!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Mar 2018, 7:02 am

Mmmmm roast chevron.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 22 Mar 2018, 9:53 am

Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bigjobss » 22 Mar 2018, 11:14 am

Opening morning, despite the late start I got a bag of teal, plenty of roast duck and schnitzels this week.
20180322_121030.jpg
20180322_121030.jpg (212.81 KiB) Viewed 7201 times
Bigjobss

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Mar 2018, 5:31 pm

Stix wrote:What a way to relax after work...!! :thumbsup:
Im envious...

Ben, How did the 222 perform? Bang flops? And what size projectile?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Mar 2018, 8:22 pm

bentaz wrote:55gn and yup pretty much bang flop. The big white one was about 150m he took about 5 slow steps then just sat down, he was dead by the time I walked over there.

Well done. 222 is all good to 150m then.
They look fat too.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control