Hunt Reports

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunt Reports

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Nov 2018, 8:54 pm

Goodonya. Giving the foxes heaps, nice to see. Was the fallow good eating?
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Nov 2018, 8:56 pm

Very good eating
bigpete
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Nov 2018, 9:01 pm

What did you shoot him with?
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Nov 2018, 9:05 pm

A cz 550 American in 308 left me by my best mate,firing 170gn rnfp sierra 3030 pills at around 2600,topped with an excalibur 2.5x crossbow scope....
bigpete
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Nov 2018, 9:21 pm

bigpete wrote:A cz 550 American in 308 left me by my best mate,firing 170gn rnfp sierra 3030 pills at around 2600,topped with an excalibur 2.5x crossbow scope....

Sorry to hear about your mates passing. Bet He would be happy with u putting it to good use. Bloody nice looking rifle. 308 is a great all round deer cartridge. Just not quite as good as 30-06 ;)
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Nov 2018, 9:23 pm

Your opinion only
bigpete
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Nov 2018, 9:26 pm

bigpete wrote:Your opinion only

It was a joke
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 05 Nov 2018, 9:46 pm

Nice pics BigPete...!

I particularly like the first pic...thats a fine looking mature fox there, & thats a bludy nice looking rifle-i really like that timber.. :thumbsup:

Since starting my tanning fur fettish its interesting seeing the different markings on foxes & wish i could have one or 2 from down your way...!!
(Not a hint, just a statement :) )

There is a blood line on a farm.i bowl them over on that has some great black markings, & another with some slate grey colour around the neck...
Yet on another farm the fur pattern is quite subtle & non interesting.

Yea i know...simple things/simple minds... :lol:

I never really noticed the subtle differences until tanning the furs.

Nice pics... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 05 Nov 2018, 9:50 pm

That's funny you say that Stix...
The first one had the worst pelt of all of them,and was probably the youngest....
bigpete
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 Nov 2018, 10:03 pm

Fair enuf...
I can only see the pics...you held it in real life.

So your saying the first fox is younger than the second one (in order of your pics)...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 05 Nov 2018, 10:21 pm

Yep. The second one was a vixen though...
bigpete
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 Nov 2018, 10:35 pm

Yea righto...!

You should send it to the authorities, you might have super genetic fox species down there...mite mske yourself famous for descovering a new species.
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 05 Nov 2018, 10:40 pm

He really wasnt that big hey. Must just be the photo ?
bigpete
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by Stix » 06 Nov 2018, 10:09 am

Yes & no...
I can see he's not a 'large' fox going by size in relation to the rifle...and it also depends on what you call 'mature' (& note i said 'mature'-not 'old')...i understand they only live up to 5 or so years, & so with hunting & baiting i consider a 3yr old fox "old".

I call a mature fox one that is breeding/or capable of.

And as for the pic, its the proportions of the fox that tell my its 'mature'.

The width of its 'cheeks'-boys dont fill out like that while young/pups-even when full height/size, rather they usually long slender heads until they get more 'manly'.

Also the tails dont usually bush out like that when young...that comes with maturity too...& the tail on that one is (clearly looks) as wide as its upper hind leg--thats not a pup by any stretch...!!

But im not here to argue with you, if you call it young/the youngest, thats ok by me...!
i just made an observation in comment to your post.
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 23 Nov 2018, 7:35 pm

Had a pretty crap week so felt the need to go for a walk to find some personal space. Almost back to the car and bumped a hare out of the grass, he bound away but made the mistake of stopping about 100-110 m away. Dogs will be happy for a couple of days......

_20181123_195956.JPG
_20181123_195956.JPG (292.13 KiB) Viewed 557 times
Bent Arrow
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 23 Nov 2018, 7:44 pm

Bugger the dogs,eat him yourself!
bigpete
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by Stix » 23 Nov 2018, 8:48 pm

Yep...that did the job...thumbsup: .

Out of curiosity, what round did the damage. ..?
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 23 Nov 2018, 9:52 pm

bigpete wrote:Bugger the dogs,eat him yourself!

Nahh I like the rabbits, not keen on these guys,. The dogs go nuts for them though
Bent Arrow
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control