Steyr safety bushing

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Steyr safety bushing

Post by paulG » 31 Aug 2015, 6:56 pm

:o I was out on the weekend , trying to reduce the fox population...got one, and was trying to get his mate, when the bolt in my Steyr Ultralight just wouldn't slide back into the breach properly ....hmmm...

I took it to a gunsmith this morning, who looked at it, and found that the safety bushing , which is in the breach, had rotated of it's own accord, and old mate put a piece of metal down there , twisted it back into place, and all now SEEMS good

Has anybody else had this happen?..I am really worried that it could/will happen again, and stuff up a good weekend away .....
paulG
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Steyr safety bushing

Post by brett1868 » 01 Sep 2015, 8:11 am

It's actually designed to move, below quote was lifted from another forum when I had similar issue with a Pro Hunter.

One of the features of the SBS action is the rotating collar that encircles the extractor area of the bolt when the bolt is shut to strengthen the action. It is normally self aligning but can be turned when the bolt is removed if a tight fitting brush is used to clean the chamber. If this happens the bolt won't close when it is reinserted in the action. To correct this simply stick your finger or a tight fitting patch on a rod into the breach area and rotate the collar until the lug recesses align with the receiver slots. Note that the collar has a relief cut on one side. The relief cut should align with the extractor to provide proper clearance.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by paulG » 01 Sep 2015, 11:34 am

Thanks Brett....
paulG
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 01 Sep 2015, 12:06 pm

Blocking the bolt is a "feature" huh :lol:
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by paulG » 06 Sep 2015, 8:41 am

I'm happy to report that STEYR have been fantastic.......All fixed, and the rifle is being looked at by WINCHESTER in Melbourne....Great service ...
paulG
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lyam » 09 Sep 2015, 9:11 am

So did you get a report on what was happening exactly? What did the piece of metal the smith inserted as a temporary fix replace?

Was something missing or broken out of the box or what?
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by paulG » 10 Sep 2015, 7:40 am

Haven't got it back yet....I'll post a report when I get it ...
paulG
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Usurper » 10 Sep 2015, 12:12 pm

Yeah something doesn't sound right if he had to put a shim in there.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey