Safari Hunting NT

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Safari Hunting NT

Post by WildHunter » 11 Sep 2015, 11:59 am

I'm traveling to the NT for a well deserved Holiday. Definitely bringing a firearm with me and am sort of interested in a safari.
I've been on google and looked at a few, I'm not exactly interested these 13 day buffalo hunts. I'm mainly interested in pigs, and paying for some to provide access to property or game area. If the opportunity for a buffalo came up sure I would take it, but I mainly just a few days on the pigs.

Anyone know of good guides up there? Annoying things is the don't advertise the price or even an approximate or from.

Thanks,
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Safari Hunting NT

Post by WildHunter » 11 Sep 2015, 12:03 pm

I have found one so far that advertises 2-3 day safaris, but so far it looks like only Buffalo :(
Contacting them now to find out
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Xerox » 17 Sep 2015, 11:04 am

13 days of just Buffalo would get old by the end.

I wouldn't mind one though.

You're not interested in them at all? Just porkers eh
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by sally-bee » 25 Sep 2015, 10:16 am

13 days of BBQ would not get old IMO :lol:
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 25 Sep 2015, 2:34 pm

buff hunt is on my bucket list.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Sep 2015, 6:32 pm

I spent quite some time living in FNQ. (general area between Karumba and Kowanyama)
I too was really wanting to get into some feral pigs.
When I first arrived, I didn't know any land owners or managers, so I set about carefully enquiring, listening, and learning.

I seemed to run into brick walls wherever I went, regardless of the fact that I was trying to do the right thing.
Even though I myself was a landowner (down south at the time) I just couldn't seem to find an opening.

One day, I rang a (station manager) that I had met at a clay target shoot and known for approx 3 weeks.
I started to ask if he could help me out,,,,,,,, and was met with a barrage of filthy language and abuse, and amongst other things, real nastiness.
A complete change of character from what he was, at the club. (he turned out to be the most ignorant and rude person I've had the displeasure to know)

I tried to say that I was only asking,,,,,,, and if he didn't want to help me all he had to do was say No, and leave it at that.

Then he started ranting, and saying he didn't need any more F***ing C***s from down south cutting fences and shooting stock, and then hung up.

It wasn't till only a few days before I was shifting back down south that I met another station manager, who said that he would have gladly accommodated me in my quest for feral pigs,,,, and other species as well.
He went on to say that a lot of the station owners had had real bad problems with "idiots" from down south, who read shooting magazine articles, that give the false impression that all the land up north was a shooters haven and open to all.
These idiots are the ones that cut fences, destroy watering points, and shoot anything that moves.

They are also giving the honest guys trying to do the right thing,,, a real dis-service and bringing the sport itself into disrepute.

End of my rant,,,,,,
:violin: :violin:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Sep 2015, 6:55 pm

13 day buff hunt sounds good.....
But once you've shot the beast on the first day, what do you do for the remainder??? :lol:
Look for it perhaps....... :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by wrenchman » 27 Sep 2015, 5:29 am

die that is what has happened here to a lot of the best hunting my aunt let a guy hunt babbits and she went out to her barn there was a hole in her barn he decided to patern his shot gun on the side of her barn.
after that it was only family and she was a real ass about guns around the barns
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by headspace » 27 Sep 2015, 8:00 pm

wrenchman wrote:buff hunt is on my bucket list.

Going probably next week to chase some Buffalo. A bloke put some on his farm a few years back and they went feral. There's a couple of us go out and thin them from time to time.
JD
Attachments
P1010232.JPG
P1010232.JPG (213.47 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 28 Sep 2015, 8:35 am

real nice
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by WildHunter » 30 Sep 2015, 10:43 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I spent quite some time living in FNQ. (general area between Karumba and Kowanyama)

They are also giving the honest guys trying to do the right thing,,, a real dis-service and bringing the sport itself into disrepute.

End of my rant,,,,,,
:violin: :violin:

Story of our lives!
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 01 Oct 2015, 2:03 pm

What's your rifle chambered in there headspace?
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by WildHunter » 14 Oct 2015, 9:35 pm

Well I'm here. I have a rifle. But know where to shoot!
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by WildHunter » 14 Oct 2015, 9:35 pm

No where*

Wow. Massive blank there haha
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Oct 2015, 8:22 am

So you planned to organise once you got there ? ?
I believe theres limited hunting on public land maybe north of or near darwin...pigs???. and there a permit required for that, hit the NT GOV website.... perhaps a few call to some guide who might take you to the pigs or at least give you some advice
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Bourt » 21 Oct 2015, 8:03 am

WildHunter wrote:I have a rifle. But know where to shoot!

Sounds like a plan :sarcasm:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by WildHunter » 22 Oct 2015, 12:42 am

I decided on not opting for a safari. I am in contact with a few pig shooters, testing the water ATM, see where it goes
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Xerox » 22 Oct 2015, 11:00 am

Should be more fun than a stationary Buff anyway ;)
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey