Helicopter hunting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Helicopter hunting

Post by zobster » 16 Oct 2015, 4:14 pm

Hi guys, would any of you guys know of a good outfitter/guide to go helicopter hunting with?

I'm looking to book a day of wild boar shooting from a helicopter, like the videos you see on YouTube when you shoot boars from a helicopter. I'm not after a trophy, rather looking to shoot heaps of boars. Preferably with a guide that also supplies firearms. Would prefer not to fly with my guns.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Helicopter hunting

Post by Sam45 » 17 Oct 2015, 9:21 am

Texas my friend :) Now then you will be shooting heaps. I'm not even sure if there is such a service here in Oz.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by zobster » 17 Oct 2015, 11:40 am

Bugger!

The partner was saying if I could find a provider in Oz, she'll book a day trip for me as my birthday present.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bosbefok » 17 Oct 2015, 4:04 pm

I know there is a mob in NT that will take you to the pigs with a chopper. But you have to get out before shooting. Insurance for companies like that would be a problem....
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by zobster » 17 Oct 2015, 9:41 pm

I know which outfitter you are talking about. My partner almost booked it until I told her what that outfitter actually did. She was kind of disappointed.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 19 Oct 2015, 10:13 pm

Try the 101st Division :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Rocker » 20 Oct 2015, 3:06 pm

I thought actual aerial culling (shooting from the air, not flying out and landing) was only doable under contract?

Gov pest control and culling programs?
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 20 Oct 2015, 3:22 pm

Rocker wrote:I thought actual aerial culling (shooting from the air, not flying out and landing) was only doable under contract?

Well, the pay is pretty good under a government contract :D

;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Baronvonrort » 20 Oct 2015, 5:38 pm

Rocker wrote:I thought actual aerial culling (shooting from the air, not flying out and landing) was only doable under contract?

There are private aerial cullers not all of it is government contracted, of course the R22 -R44 are not allowed for government culling they have to be turbine powered which rules them out.
Private contractors on private property can use the R22 and Cat D.

If you were to find someone you would be limited to Cat B in Australia, Texas hunting like Heli hog and Helibacon use R22-R44 with custom made AR15's around $1200-2000 per hour.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 20 Oct 2015, 5:53 pm

The words "hunting" and "helicopter" should not be used in the same sentence. Unless of course, you're in New Zealand and a chopper drops you off.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 20 Oct 2015, 6:05 pm

headspace wrote:The words "hunting" and "helicopter" should not be used in the same sentence.

Culling is probably a better word, the Aussie record is around 238 pigs killed in one hour,FAAST regs say they have to be double tapped so that's around 500 shots per hour verified by the spotter sitting next to the pilot, the regs allow two L1A1's in case of malfunction yet I think it's more to allow a gun to cool by swapping it.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 21 Oct 2015, 5:00 pm

I was talking to a bloke out at the range this morning who was a helicopter pilot and he did some flying for aerial culling, but wouldn't take any individual shooters. he got paid to fly for the shooter and there had to be a lot of trust between the two. He had to land and kick one shooter out because he nearly shot off a rotor blade.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey