International hunting trips

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

International hunting trips

Post by jeebo » 30 Oct 2013, 10:22 am

Morning all,

Ogling some big game pictures in a couple of hunting mags this morning :D

The idea of an international hunting trip is slowing wriggling its way in :lol:

So who's done it? Must be some good game in the US, Canada... Africa?

Who's been where?
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: International hunting trips

Post by Monty » 30 Oct 2013, 12:34 pm

Have been to ranges in the states, but not hunted.

I was right on the border of Canada a while ago but didn't get there in the end. Would have been great, but these things happen.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Swarm » 30 Oct 2013, 1:01 pm

Canada would be the bomb.

If it's anything like the pictures, there are moose and deer just walking through the street everywhere :lol:
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by jeebo » 30 Oct 2013, 3:34 pm

Swarm wrote:If it's anything like the pictures, there are moose and deer just walking through the street everywhere :lol:

Pretty sure the police will be onto you if you're shooting moose in town streets :lol:
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Berper » 30 Oct 2013, 8:15 pm

Canada would be awesome, for hunting and more.

Never been but would love to go.
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by BBJ » 02 Nov 2013, 12:13 pm

jeebo wrote:So who's done it? Must be some good game in the US, Canada... Africa?

I don't know if this is a bit hypocritical but I can't get behind African game hunting.

Kill a fox because it kills your live stock. Fine.

Kill a deer for food. Fine. Take a trophy at the end? No worries.

You see these guys hunting elephants and the like, and they basically just walk up to an elephant who doesn't make any effort to get away or fight or anything, kill it, pose for a photo... Then what? Why did you do it?

I don't know why, but that stuff makes my skin crawl a bit.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by huccl » 02 Nov 2013, 5:00 pm

BBJ wrote:You see these guys hunting elephants and the like, and they basically just walk up to an elephant who doesn't make any effort to get away or fight or anything, kill it, pose for a photo... Then what? Why did you do it?

Yep. Don't know how they call that a "sport" when you shoot something in the face while it stands still 20 metres away from you.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 10 Nov 2013, 4:30 pm

huccl wrote:Yep. Don't know how they call that a "sport" when you shoot something in the face while it stands still 20 metres away from you.

I think they actually use hunting them to fund protecting and breeding them if you can believe it.

For hunting an elephant or lion or any of these things you have to get guides and permits and this kind of stuff and it costs $20,000 or something.

They kill one, then use the fees for conservation.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 10 Nov 2013, 4:45 pm

2 deer in Michigan.

Was staying at Plymouth and Ann Arbor at the time. Nice spot of country up there.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Weepy » 10 Nov 2013, 4:50 pm

Lorgar wrote:Was staying at Plymouth and Ann Arbor at the time. Nice spot of country up there.

Funny place Michigan with the whole Detroit thing. Such nice places everywhere, then such miserable ones not too far down the road.
Weatherby Mark V Accumark 7mm Rem. Mag.
Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm

Browning BL-22 .22LR
Weepy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Tonit » 10 Nov 2013, 4:51 pm

Lorgar wrote:2 deer in Michigan.

Nice.

American hunting trip? Or just squeeze in a quick one?
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by keg » 22 Nov 2013, 3:59 pm

BBJ wrote:
jeebo wrote:
You see these guys hunting elephants and the like, and they basically just walk up to an elephant who doesn't make any effort to get away or fight or anything, kill it, pose for a photo... Then what? Why did you do it?

Read Capstick's "Death in the long grass" and you will change your mind about elephant hunting. I think that the idea is to kill them close but if you don't you have a bad day coming.

If I was visiting another country I would spend the money to get the best chance at making a kill of a lifetime that I couldn't get at home. A picture and a trophy is worth a bunch when you are grey and no longer able to go on such adventures.

If you don't want to pay for a guided hunt another idea would be to research and find a small game type hunting that has clubs and go to observe. We coon hunt with dogs at night here in Indiana a lot and if you called a local coon hunt club and let known your wishes someone will take you on a hunt or two.
keg
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Lyam » 23 Nov 2013, 4:48 pm

keg wrote:I think that the idea is to kill them close but if you don't you have a bad day coming.

Uh, yeah.

I'd imagine an elephant would be reasonably furious after you shot it in the face :P
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Nov 2013, 1:30 pm

BBJ wrote:
jeebo wrote:So who's done it? Must be some good game in the US, Canada... Africa?

I don't know if this is a bit hypocritical but I can't get behind African game hunting.

Kill a fox because it kills your live stock. Fine.

Kill a deer for food. Fine. Take a trophy at the end? No worries.

Yeah I saw a video of a "big game hunter" who's daughter wanted to kill a leopard, so they get the locals to kill a cape buff for bait, they put it in a tree, make a hunting blind for her and wait for one to come then call her when it's there an she walk down the path to the blind these guys made for her, takes the shot and then these guy go find it for her, she literally was there for two mins max, but I do understand that the money they make from one dead leopard is enough to save many more of the them
Member-Deleted

Post by harris » 25 Nov 2013, 2:21 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:but I do understand that the money they make from one dead leopard is enough to save many more of the them.

Hmmm, I'd love to see some actual figures on that to know how much of a gain they get from the fees...
Guns don’t kill people, husbands who come home early from work kill people
harris
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey