Targeting Feral Cats: any tips and tricks?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Targeting Feral Cats: any tips and tricks?

Post by Gwion » 08 Dec 2015, 4:11 pm

phew.... :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2015, 4:12 pm

Gwion wrote:Nice work, Bigfella.

What is it with ferals... seems to be a heap of black ones around. Black or tabby... or failing that a deep grey.

Yeah they seem to come in all colours, Blacks, greys, tabby's, ginger you name it, some are real cunning and others well not so much - either way I poke holes in em when they show up. :D

This one tried to outrun the 22-250 - nailed him in the freckle at around 80m

This one I nailed with the 22 between the eyes

Last edited by bigfellascott on 11 Dec 2015, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2015, 4:15 pm

I've eaten cat before (Chinese Restaurant we use to go to got busted with frozen ones in their fridges) true story :D all I can say is it tasted like chicken after they'd finished cooking it :lol:

I did notice it had a slightly diff texture to it but honestly it tasted fine (I didn't know it was cat at the time) but realised what we'd been eating after seeing the story in the local cocky cage liner. :shock:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 08 Dec 2015, 4:24 pm

Man... that's just gross! I just have something against eating carnivores. Not based on anything other than gross factor.

This doesn't apply with fish, obviously.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Dec 2015, 4:24 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I've eaten cat before (Chinese Restaurant we use to go to got busted with frozen ones in their fridges) true story :D all I can say is it tasted like chicken after they'd finished cooking it :lol:

I did notice it had a slightly diff texture to it but honestly it tasted fine (I didn't know it was cat at the time) but realised what we'd been eating after seeing the story in the local cocky cage liner. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: bastards!
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 08 Dec 2015, 5:14 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

What is it with ferals... seems to be a heap of black ones around. Black or tabby... or failing that a deep grey.

Yeah they seem to come in all colours, Blacks, greys, tabby's, ginger you name it, some are real cunning and others well not so much - either way I poke holes in em when they show up. :D

This one tried to outrun the 22-250 - nailed him in the freckle at around 80m

-gross image-

We need a smilie that shows pure disgust. :unknown:

thats a bloody mess. literally :thumbsdown:
Last edited by Heckler303 on 08 Dec 2015, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 08 Dec 2015, 5:48 pm

Nothing wrong with eating a little pussy... :D Just not one you've shot first.

This one had 2 kittens in tow which unfortunately took off into the long grass before I could get a shot at them. We spotted them in the open on the edge of a wheat paddock wandering in and out of the crop chasing mice. Mama cat moved into the longer grass so I aimed low and ahead of the tail as it was walking but couldn't get the kittens as they took off after I dropped the mother.

IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1064.JPG (201.59 KiB) Viewed 5931 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 08 Dec 2015, 6:15 pm

Looks pretty mangy, Brett. Good shooting, but!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Heckler303 » 08 Dec 2015, 8:15 pm

Any particular reason you guys have to go and make a complete bloody mess?

Using calibres far too heavy for feline, causing explosive bodyshots, at least get it over quick without having to make it look like a mass murder crime scene.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2015, 8:47 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Any particular reason you guys have to go and make a complete bloody mess?

Using calibres far too heavy for feline, causing explosive bodyshots, at least get it over quick without having to make it look like a mass murder crime scene.

Well we don't all run around with 10 rifles on the back see waiting for the perfect opportunity to use em, I shoot em with whatever rifles in the hand at the time, dead is dead and that's the name of the game after all. :D

What cal should we be using by the way? :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 08 Dec 2015, 8:55 pm

depending on the aria different colours stand out more and are more vulnerable to predators such as hawks and our native on_one_wheel :lol:
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Dec 2015, 9:01 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Any particular reason you guys have to go and make a complete bloody mess?

It's called ethical hunting.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by FuzzyM » 08 Dec 2015, 9:08 pm

The more pieces an animal is in, the less it probably suffered. Not pretty, but realistic I'm afraid Heckler. Having seen a mate put two good shots into a fox with a 22, only to have it run away, no doubt to die soon anyway, I can say that sometimes centerfire and mess is the way to go.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2015, 9:18 pm

FuzzyM wrote:The more pieces an animal is in, the less it probably suffered. Not pretty, but realistic I'm afraid Heckler. Having seen a mate put two good shots into a fox with a 22, only to have it run away, no doubt to die soon anyway, I can say that sometimes centerfire and mess is the way to go.

Spot on Fuzzy, I'd rather put a big hole in em and have en dead there and then, rather than use something that's marginal and ends up causing unnecessary pain and suffering. :thumbsup:

I wonder what this cat cal Heckler recommends - the one that kills them gently and without blood and mess? :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2015, 9:26 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Title_II wrote:
Do you guys eat them?

Funny you should ask ... we made jerky out of the one I pictured above.

My mate who made it also did a batch of rabbit jerky at the same time ... no one could pick the difference between the two.
Mind you it was heavily seasond.
2015-12-08 15.27.16.jpg

It's amazing how good they taste when done right! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2015, 9:28 pm

This one tried to out run the 222 - nailed it just before it disappeared in some long grass. :D Those 50gn BK's can do some damage alright :thumbsup:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 08 Dec 2015, 10:18 pm

That's a big ginger pussy and looks like you shot it right in the ass....

Hit mine with the .204 Ruger, Scotty with a .222 so not even close to being called over powered. If I'd hit it with the Cheytac then fair enough but the little 204 is no where near overpowered for pussy. In fact I'd argue that the .416 with 450Gr HP's is still under powered cause I hate feral cats / dogs more then any other feral pest in the bush and a rapid explosive death is both effective and very humane.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 09 Dec 2015, 12:51 am

bigfellascott wrote:I've eaten cat before (Chinese Restaurant we use to go to got busted with frozen ones in their fridges) true story :D all I can say is it tasted like chicken after they'd finished cooking it :lol:

bigfellascott wrote:
FuzzyM wrote:The more pieces an animal is in, the less it probably suffered. Not pretty, but realistic I'm afraid Heckler. Having seen a mate put two good shots into a fox with a 22, only to have it run away, no doubt to die soon anyway, I can say that sometimes centerfire and mess is the way to go.

Spot on Fuzzy, I'd rather put a big hole in em and have en dead there and then, rather than use something that's marginal and ends up causing unnecessary pain and suffering. :thumbsup:

I wonder what this cat cal Heckler recommends - the one that kills them gently and without blood and mess? :unknown:

Snuggle them to death :)

bigfellascott wrote:This one tried to out run the 222 - nailed it just before it disappeared in some long grass. :D Those 50gn BK's can do some damage alright :thumbsup:

Great Caesar's ghost, are you hunting cats in a bathrobe?

This thread just gets more and more frightening! This was a very bad idea!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2015, 5:45 am

Hey don't knock the Night Camo (blue shorts and T-shirt) :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2015, 5:56 am

brett1868 wrote:That's a big ginger pussy and looks like you shot it right in the ass....

Hit mine with the .204 Ruger, Scotty with a .222 so not even close to being called over powered. If I'd hit it with the Cheytac then fair enough but the little 204 is no where near overpowered for pussy. In fact I'd argue that the .416 with 450Gr HP's is still under powered cause I hate feral cats / dogs more then any other feral pest in the bush and a rapid explosive death is both effective and very humane.

I'd say any cals good enough for feral cats :D yeah that ginger was trotting away and just about to disappear into some long grass from memory so the decision was made to shoot it ASAP and the only real shot was the freckle so that's what happened, another bang flop as a result. :thumbsup:

The 204 goes great on em as do any of the 22 cal family - end of the day they are doing a great amount of damage to our native wildlife and whatever cal you have at hand will do to help eradicate them from the Aussie Landscape.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2015, 6:05 am

This one's having a long sleep as a result of a 39bk at about 10m (Came into the Fox Pro) and disappeared down a creekline only to reappear near some blackberries as it slowly stalked into the Fox Pro. The damage was very minimal too with just a small hole being evident (I'd say the projectile never hit any bone), :unknown:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 09 Dec 2015, 6:44 am

brett1868 wrote:That's a big ginger pussy and looks like you shot it right in the ass....

I was half expecting to see a photo of a small patch of fur on some bloodied ground from you, Brett. :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 09 Dec 2015, 6:56 am

Hahaha!
Is anyone else getting the 'Feliway' ad at the top of the page?

Some artificial cat pheromone diffuser to make Felix feel safe and happy. Maybe I should put a few of those around in some known areas. :drinks: :clap: :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RoginaJack » 09 Dec 2015, 9:59 am

The shotgun with a cheap tin button fox whistle and a squeaky cat or dog toy from the dollar shop will do the job. Try early morn and late evening and spotlighting.
This is one method I've been gunna try - you know the toy, a crazy ball with a tail that goes round and round inside a circle hoop (?) and a fox whistle. I reckon the movement and whistle should work OK.
I was out early morning the other day calling/howling feral dogs up with the button whistle and a very large tomcat came to the call - only had the .243W with 75gr Speer HP. - handled the job OK.
cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Dec 2015, 12:08 pm

No such thing as over gunned with ferals. I'd just as readily knock one over with the .30-06 as I would with anything else. Yes, the wounds can look messy, but the shock with explosive wounds causes instant death. It's instant and humane. And (unlike some here) I wouldn't be worried about meat damage as I wouldn't eat them :sarcasm:
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Dec 2015, 12:10 pm

Oh, and I'll also add this.
Even if the first shot is not a clean kill, let's say you have to walk up and finish it off, you've still saved thousands of inhumane kills on native species
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 09 Dec 2015, 12:48 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:No such thing as over gunned with ferals. I'd just as readily knock one over with the .30-06 as I would with anything else. Yes, the wounds can look messy, but the shock with explosive wounds causes instant death. It's instant and humane. And (unlike some here) I wouldn't be worried about meat damage as I wouldn't eat them :sarcasm:

I am suspecting a lot of these cat eaters are really Tassies and just not admitting it ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2015, 12:58 pm

Yeah pretty much an arse end shot from memory, I didn't have time to get too fancy with the shot placement as it was just about into the long grass, smash em with anything I say :D I'd like to see one get hit with a 50cal - that should make for a pretty picture :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2015, 1:06 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Considered a feeding station ?

I'm looking at trying a chicken feeder full of cheep dry cat food soon.

I reckon that's what I'd try too and a spotlight to find em and shoot em, should work I reckon or some pheromone spray in a specific spot near the house that you can keep an eye on easily would also be worth a go, get em coming in for a while to feed and when they feel comfortable doing it nail the little bastards! :thumbsup:

All my cats are a result of spotlighting and whistling foxes so are a bi-catch in a way but they do seem to respond to the whistle when they are about. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Dec 2015, 1:30 pm

Deleted ... double post
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 10 Dec 2015, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control