Powelltown and surrounding areas.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Powelltown and surrounding areas.

Post by aidanp96 » 23 Dec 2015, 7:46 pm

Hello all, I'm wanting to figure out MORE places I can go hunting that aren't too far from home.

I'm thinking the Yarra State forest around Powelltown.

Does anyone know any areas in the east, north east or south east that aren't uber far from Dandenong.

I'm mainly wanting to hunt rabbits, foxes, feral cats and other smaller pest animals.

Thanks in Advance :D
aidanp96
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Powelltown and surrounding areas.

Post by southeast varmiter » 25 Dec 2015, 8:13 pm

It's ok. But you need to watch out for trail bike riders and properties that ajoin the forest. Locals don't appreciate rounds across their houses. Also the terrain is pretty rough. You have areas where floor covering is extremely dense and you don't have sight of where your shots will land, so be careful. Other than that it's good for game but you need to know where to look.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by aidanp96 » 26 Dec 2015, 1:37 pm

I see, I've been to a few areas but they all seem to be dense and rough terrain like you're saying. I'm looking for a more open area with less trees, any ideas? I've been looking around on forest explorer 5 or whatever it is and comparing it with google maps satellite to scope around.
aidanp96
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusC » 05 Jan 2016, 8:48 am

aidanp96 wrote:Does anyone know any areas in the east, north east or south east that aren't uber far from Dandenong.

I'm mainly wanting to hunt rabbits, foxes, feral cats and other smaller pest animals.

Not so much mate.

The closer you are to town the less there is.

The best hunting is up north in the larger state forests.

Starting around Marysville if headed up from your way but ideally places like Mansfield, Bright and Further north are where there is good hunting for everything.

That's 2-3 hours from you which I know isn't what you're really looking for but it is what it is.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey