Hunting disatance from main road

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting disatance from main road

Post by juststarting » 10 Jan 2016, 10:15 pm

Hi All

I heard, anecdotally, that hunting or shooting of any kind on public land/state forests must be done 1km away from the main road.

I know there are rules about crossing, shooting and carrying regarding main roads. However, I can't find anything about shooting distance.

Any advise? Has anyone heard about this?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Hunting disatance from main road

Post by southeast varmiter » 10 Jan 2016, 10:22 pm

Nope. Law states you can't fire from or across roads or tracks.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 10 Jan 2016, 10:50 pm

Sounds like its NOT BULLS*** to me its one of the oldest rules about shooting I don't know if it was ever repealed but Ii really doubt it there used to be some real funny laws regarding shooting .
IE: you could not shoot anywhere on a sunday and 1 MILE not 1km from a road I am not sure if they are still in place for a road read right of carriageway .
I am not sure who would know if they are still on the books this could be interesting
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 10 Jan 2016, 10:53 pm

Hrmmm.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 10 Jan 2016, 11:05 pm

bentaz wrote:There is nothing in the firearms act.

That's what I've been reading too and Vic Pol site - nothing! nothing on DPI either.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Jan 2016, 11:39 pm

Was there something in the safety course about not shooting across roads, I have read it somewhere
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 11 Jan 2016, 1:02 am

I think it may come back to the general rule of ensuring your projectile doesn't leave the boundary of the property your on but don't quote me on it. I recall reading something about it a while back, I'll see if I can find the article, will post here if I do.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 11 Jan 2016, 5:00 pm

There's nothing specifically stated about the distance, I guess they leave this loose so they can sting you if they please.

There is mention in the firearms regulations 2008 that you must be at least 100m from a public road if:

R.2. Point 6
- Activities for the suppression of pest animals where Category C longarms are used

R.22 Point 22
- Conduct of Sport or Target shooting on Private property.

No specific mention of public land though.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 11 Jan 2016, 5:30 pm

I have hunted public land and interacted with rangers regularly. the law only states you cannot fire from or across roads. Period. There is no min distance. But you are responsible for where the projectile lands.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Jan 2016, 5:43 pm

G'day juststarting,
Only consider advice from our State, as other States do have different rules on this subject. For this matter, southeast varmiter is absolutely correct, you may hunt right up to the edge of the road, remembering that the term "road" includes the verge. You must not shoot along or across a road, or if your projectile will land on private property. As Youngbuck points out, Regs 2008 do restrict certain activities, especially target shooting which has minimum distances. Be aware some rangers include sighting in as target shooting. UNLOAD BEFORE CROSSING ANY PUBLIC ROAD! Even a back track, unload includes taking rounds out of a magazine, Happy Hunting.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by chacka » 13 Jan 2016, 10:34 am

pomemax wrote: IE: you could not shoot anywhere on a sunday and 1 MILE not 1km from a road I am not sure if they are still in place for a road read right of carriageway .

That would seem wrong right off the since we haven't used imperial measurements for 40+ years.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 13 Jan 2016, 12:35 pm

well i was talking about 40 +years ago and i said i didn't know if it had been taken of the books they have a habit of forgetting to remove old laws
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 13 Jan 2016, 1:40 pm

My favourite is still the train line warning signs from Newcastle.

Couldn't find the picture off hand but they say like

Touching wires will cause instant death.
$200 fine.

Tough laws indeed when they still fine you after you're dead.

:lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey