Practical advise on deer stalking?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Practical advise on deer stalking?

Post by juststarting » 09 Feb 2016, 10:19 pm

Evening All

Wondering if you have any tips on 'starting' a deer hunt (stalking). Not so much, 'hey, what caliber do I need', rather - I am on the way to where I would like to hunt...

I've been exploring areas which have very heave vegetation and few dirt roads/tracks. Neither are issues, but made me think of few questions:

Do you just park your car on the side of a dirt road and off you go? Have you had any issues with that in the past (obviously no valuables in the car, but whom ever is breaking the window doesn't know that)?

Do you just start walking and look for signs of deer? Is there a strategy to this? I read a little bit about tracking, but in general, I assume you would just start walking?

Any other tips? Hints, etc? Feel free to PM with questions/tips.

I am doing day trips for now, but planing to do an overnight trip when it gets colder.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Practical advise on deer stalking?

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Feb 2016, 11:00 pm

Victoria, right?

Make sure you take a spotlight :sarcasm:

Just to be clear, that was sarcasm.
Do NOT take a spotlight
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 09 Feb 2016, 11:57 pm

I'm a bit lucky in that they live at my place, and there is a healthy population in the surrounding district. But, even though I knew they were there didn't mean I'd see them every time I went for a bush walk/stalk. Covered the area for a look see, found long term drinking holes, well worn tracks etc etc saw f all.

I knew they were travelling of a night to get to farm land pasture (next door) so sat and waited, doing the basic sit down wind, off the tracks, not walking up n down the game trails and sure enough they make their ungainly crashing through the scrub noise un like roos thump thump and I was onto them.

So in essence, if you find areas where they have been recently, maybe find a good vantage point and go back and stalk that spot? Sit and wait approach.

As for finding the areas to even start looking, word of mouth is a good start. Are there even deer in the area to start with?

I now use google maps to look at areas terrain and water courses. Secluded scrub fringing onto farm land and water could be a good start. Not allot of grass in the bush around here, might be different near you, but farms get deer on them around Gippsland due to improved pastures.

Maybe find a hunting buddy in your circles who knows a bit that doesn't mind teaching you?

I'm doing that this year with a group of locals for Sambar as I've never really set foot outside of my local district for anything other than Fallow, which until 2 years ago was new to me also.

I'm still a noob but those are my thoughts.

Good luck with it.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by happyhunter » 10 Feb 2016, 7:27 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Modena » 10 Feb 2016, 5:16 pm

juststarting wrote:Do you just park your car on the side of a dirt road and off you go?

I am doing day trips for now, but planing to do an overnight trip when it gets colder.

this is exactly what I am planning on doing to go pest hunting, after scouting some spots with a combination of the DELWP maps and Google maps. I want to stay out of deer country as won't have that large calibre, but principle is the same,
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by dhv » 11 Feb 2016, 7:43 am

dhv
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 11 Feb 2016, 8:23 am

Uh, them...

Before I got my licence, I have done a bit of research and I emailed those guys, asking about whatever I was asking, don't remember exactly. After one unanswered email for a week or so, I thought I would email again. Then some guy responded, but actually forwarded my email to two other guys saying, hey maybe you got some info for this bloke. Excellent hand-balling technique.

One never got back to me, the other said there was a deer hunting workshop running and I was welcome, but the dates weren't confirmed yet.

Talking to that guy was like pulling teeth. Not forthcoming with any information, not engaging and never got back to me with the dates for the course. Questions were answered in the most obscure, not helpful way.

I thought, if you treat potential new members like that, then I want nothing to do with that dog and pony show.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by dhv » 11 Feb 2016, 10:53 am

juststarting wrote:Uh, them...

Before I got my licence, I have done a bit of research and I emailed those guys, asking about whatever I was asking, don't remember exactly. After one unanswered email for a week or so, I thought I would email again. Then some guy responded, but actually forwarded my email to two other guys saying, hey maybe you got some info for this bloke. Excellent hand-balling technique.

One never got back to me, the other said there was a deer hunting workshop running and I was welcome, but the dates weren't confirmed yet.

Talking to that guy was like pulling teeth. Not forthcoming with any information, not engaging and never got back to me with the dates for the course. Questions were answered in the most obscure, not helpful way.

I thought, if you treat potential new members like that, then I want nothing to do with that dog and pony show.

Put yourself in their shoes.

They are volunteers giving up their own time to help new hunters learn about deer. I'm sure they would rather be hunting themselves, but instead they choose to contribute something to the hunting cause.

They get calls from heaps of non members (tyre kickers) wanting to be spoon fed info that could be readily obtained just by doing some basic work yourself, or heaven forbid, by actually joining the org to get yourself known and to tap into their members comms.

The course is always oversubscribed, and if they where operating like a business (in which case your criticisms would be warranted) then they would be well justified to jack up the price and you would be paying commercial rates for the service being provided.

You were referred to someone in the know, what makes you think it was their job to hold your hand every step of the way?

Full disclosure, I am the National President. It's just possible that it was me who read your email in Canberra, and flicked it to the guys on the ground in Victoria.

Those same guys in Victoria where probably busy working to keep public land hunting available to all license holders, members or not, or dealing with NFA reviews or Senate enquiries.

If that's a dog and pony show, show me a better one in town.

dhv
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 11 Feb 2016, 10:54 pm

dhv wrote:Put yourself in their shoes.

I am in their shoes, just a different association ;)

dhv wrote:They get calls from heaps of non members (tyre kickers) wanting to be spoon fed info that could be readily obtained just by doing some basic work yourself, or heaven forbid, by actually joining the org to get yourself known and to tap into their members comms.

That's quite offensive and elitist, actually. Rather than asking what could be done better you went on the offensive. And right now you are demonising every single future and potential member, because you know what - in the beginning we are all tyre kickers and feel like we need some info, which you may find trivial, not so much to a newbie.

I could definitely dissect your response further, but you're right, you are volunteers (well, they are, are you?) and doing something...

Maybe watch how you treat potential members in the future, then you won't lose them before they even join.

N.B.
I've read somewhere that a shop with a pissed off customer will lose around 7 more, based on the customer's network of friends and acquaintance.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Feb 2016, 6:57 am

A happy customer will tel 3 people, an unhappy customer will tell 10. It's not up to potential member to commit before accessing a network; its up to the Association to prove they have an organisation worth joining; that's how you attract new and quality members.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 12 Feb 2016, 7:42 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 12 Feb 2016, 8:16 am

Then why start an association to encourage deer hunting if new novice members are to be held in such disdain?

Not everyone has the background to be taught from a young age through osmosis and exposure. Most of the long time deer hunters didn't learn it all on their own; it's just been so many years since they were spoon fed that they have forgotten about the time when dad/uncle/grandpa drilled the knowledge into them through constant exposure and conversation.

If you don't have the background, it is very difficult to know where to start and the long standing 'heroes of hunting' aren't interested in sharing because they want to guard their 'secrets'.

As for initiative, asking for info as to where and how to start IS showing initiative.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 12 Feb 2016, 8:21 am

I'm planning my first deer hunt this year. I'm a complete novice. Luckily there are deer everywhere around here, so no big deal.
If i was still in Vic, i would be more confident because i have spent so much time trout fishing in deer country that i have a good idea where they are or might be and have picked up a few of their habits already. It would be very hard for someone who isn't familiar with any form of hunting, or a back ground in bush skills, to just pick up a rifle and go find some deer.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by dhv » 12 Feb 2016, 10:10 am

Firstly, I didn't intend for my response to sound elitist or offensive, although I accept that it may have come across like that. It was said more to provide a stark contrast to what this chap may have assumed.

Also, the line of enquiry was around a single event, not a membership. Now you could argue what's the difference, but as a paid up member would you not hope that any effort the volunteers (and yes, I am one too) put in is biased towards those who have made a commitment to and support the Association, in preference to an unknown entity off the street? Keep in mind, we occasionally get anti's asking exactly this type of question in an attempt to sabotage an event.

So lets start again.

Mate, if you want to learn the ropes my suggestion is to join an appropriate organisation, and to tap into the many hunter ed events they put on for members which will suit your needs really well. You may even meet like minded people and get some new mates to go out hunting with, and in doing so will be indirectly supporting the very groups who ensure that your ability to own a firearm and to hunt on public land is protected.

Cheers.
dhv
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mick375hh » 12 Feb 2016, 8:39 pm

Hey juststarting if you live in the northern suberbs try mount disappointment or tullarook state Forrest not that far from Melbourne.
Hunt the fringe country as in close to farm land it's been good to me
And always hunt into the wind
Good luck
Mick375hh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 12 Feb 2016, 11:33 pm

@Mick375hh - thanks.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Feb 2016, 7:05 am

Many years ago I joined the ADA. It was close to a 2 hr drive for me to go to the monthly meetings. I went to many. All I got was the impression they were secretive and if you were not part of the inner circle they would not help you out. If you didnt own a 4x4 they looked down on you. In t hose days were few books & no internet on the subject, so getting info or advice was difficult. The end result was I tossed it in for about 10 yrs.
I look back now and think how imature & selfish they were. As if there wernt enough deer to go around. After a few years I dropped my membership and I never went back.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dhv » 13 Feb 2016, 8:44 am

Sad to hear oldbloke. Very different story today, although each branch does have a different subculture.

The thing is, you join the association and not the branch, so are free to go to any event or join any program we have going. eg nothing stopping a NSW based member getting onto the program to manage hog deer on Wilsons prom, if they put in the effort to get qualified.
dhv
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mich » 22 Feb 2016, 1:08 pm

Happens too often and it's a shame when those inner circles develop and ruin the greater organisation.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey