Considering hunting but unsure if it is worthwhile

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Considering hunting but unsure if it is worthwhile

Post by shapeshifter » 31 Dec 2016, 4:54 pm

Maybe ran into a wild dog... took his picture with a knife and stabbed him with a camera.... is that why we havent heard from him?
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

I was born with nothing and at 45, I still have most of it left!
shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by albat » 31 Dec 2016, 10:32 pm

He could have run into anything out there a mob of greenies could have mistook him for a hunter and dispatched him accordingly!!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2017, 3:35 am

Maybe he is just busy keeping the GF happy.
:mrgreen:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tomek » 01 Jan 2017, 11:05 am

Haha I've done so so.

I got my CZ455 gun and it's a dud IMO but perhaps marginally within specs. It may even be ok for hunting as it shoots accurately mainly when cold. I will go to the range at least one more time to zero the scope properly for the ammo I plan to use (I've been focusing on groupings mostly and trying different ammo which changes the zero). Still, my rifle is both very fussy and inconsistent as the ammo the shop tested it with and worked perfectly, works crap for me and other shooters on the range (same box so maybe they didn't test it honestly). Other ammo works alright but it's still annoying. There's still the option of contacting CZ/Winchester or just getting a new gun, (Lithgow or Anschutz).

The good news is I have 2 people with farms lined up who will let me shoot there so when I feel confident I won't just be leaving a trail of disfigured rabbits in my wake, I'll go and try my luck :) I've got all the gear I need though. Bi-pod, gun sock, gun sling, rangefinder, hunting and filleting knives and eski. Also some headlights if I wanna try my luck at night. If I can succesfully get some rabbits in my belly, I plan to get some tanning supplies to try use the rest of the animals.

Hopefully I can post some pics of rabbits that I've shot and cooked in the next few months :)

The Yaris is fine although I've come close to rocking in a fetal position due to my rifle being crappy. My GF looks forward to the outdoor trips, and tanning the fur but needs to experience the bloody parts a few times to become comfortable with that. Same goes for me but I am prepared and mentally accepting of the realities of eating meat.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 01 Jan 2017, 11:18 am

Good luck on your bunny hunts Tomek. Don't take it too seriously.. have fun :)
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by shapeshifter » 01 Jan 2017, 11:25 am

Good to see you are still around Tomek. I have only joined this forum and since posting on this thread, I have seen you have started a new thread re: your new CZ 455. Shame to hear that you are having problems

I am in a similar boat to you Tomek. Just got my license last year and .22 although I have the Zastava .22lr. Cheap but good. I found alot of variation between different ammo but as it turns out the cheap ammo (sK) works best - BONUS!

Also just purchased a .243 Howa 1500 and plan to find goats in State Forests - also only have a 2wd.

Maybe I will see you around the Springvale range sometime. I plan to make shooting a focus this year cos last year didn't get much time.

Lucky you to have found a couple of farms to shoot from... that's ideal :thumbsup: ...Did you ever get out to scouting some S.F's?
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Tomek » 01 Jan 2017, 11:34 am

I may switch to the Eagle Park Range as it is a bit closer to me so might miss you haha. Is it close to you? They cater for larger calibres.

SF had nothing but I was walking around at a bad time. Apparently early morning is a great time. I did scout around in mount disappointment. I found an area where it may be good for rabbits in the early morning (found many droppings) but never went back to confirm. If hunting rabbits on a farm is simple I may be too lazy to bother doing it in the forest but if I upgrade to goats / deer then I'll go back out there. Still great to go camping though just for fun though.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by shapeshifter » 01 Jan 2017, 11:45 am

Yeah, I will be heading out to Eagle Park to sight in my .243 when I get it in about 2-3 weeks. Not real close as I am in the SE suburbs but I cant wait to pull the trigger on my .243 so I am happy to travel to make it happen.

I am not getting too excited though.... word is, there is bloke on here that can't get his new pride and joy to shoot consistent groups sub MOA... I don't want to be that guy with a .243.... oops :silent:
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2017, 11:51 am

You blokes worry too much about having a 4X4. I have been hunting for about 40 yrs and have only recently purchased my first 4x4. And that was because I needed something to tow a caravan & the price was right.
Yeh sure a 4x4 is a help. It provides a way to get into a few more areas. BUT exercise never hurt you. And game is where you find it.
About 80% of hunting can be done with a 2x2 . There is plenty of deer, goat and pig areas where all you need is a 2x2 and some common sense not to get bogged.
Take some strong rope and old bags or carpet, perhaps a pull along and spade if you get into strife. And decent walking boots/shoes. Will you shoot as many as the bloke with a 4x4, perhaps not but you will be out having a go.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by shapeshifter » 01 Jan 2017, 12:07 pm

I don't worry about it too much Oldbloke... was just stating that this is all I have too... I know there are alot of 2WD tracks that can get you into S.F's and a short walk/hike from ridge tops and gullies ;) I like using my legs and staying fit.

Honestly, I would rather get an adventure bike than a 4wd.... like a Yamaha Tenere 660... but that would be just because its an added element of fun... not necessarily cos I feel the need to get deeper into the forests.

Btw... has anyone ever seen how someone carries a gun on a bike? Is it possible?
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2017, 12:54 pm

Yeh, Iv'e heard there are few hunters around use push bikes. Great idea. Guess you would need a rifle scabbard. (there is gear you can buy to carry on your back. perhaps a modified soft case?)

I had a rifle scabbard when I was shooting bad guys in Texas in the 1850s. LOL But sold it when I traded my horse in for a car.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by shapeshifter » 01 Jan 2017, 1:05 pm

I meant a motorbike... lol... never really thought about a push bike, but what an interesting thought. Use the 2wd to get in as far as you can and then pull out the mountain bike and continue on.

The adventure bikes I am talking about are like a cross between a trail and road motor bike... based on the Dakkar rally, like the BMW GS650 or 1200 and the Yamaha Tenere 660 or Super Tenere 1200. Would leave home on the bike with gun on board. Not sure how to legally transport the gun on a bike... hide it in a custom modified guitar case, so as not to alarm the public.. and how to secure it safely??? Hmmn, would be a conversation for a new thread i guess... anyway, it was just a fleeting thought... haha
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 01 Jan 2017, 2:18 pm

shapeshifter wrote:I

Btw... has anyone ever seen how someone carries a gun on a bike? Is it possible?

Yep, me. usually a shotgun. I break it down and put it in the back pack. I also have a few short barreled rifles specially for transporting on the bike. Gun scabbards are too visible. A back pack is close as you will ever get to concealed carry in this country..lol

I did own a Landcruiser for a long time and I have to say that having a 4wd isn't the be all and end all of access, but it sure helps a bloody lot.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2017, 2:29 pm

Motor bikes are loud. Push bikes are very quiet. An advantage.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 01 Jan 2017, 2:56 pm

Not always. AG bikes are generally very quiet. Something like a kawasaki stockman. Either way the mode of transport is just to get you in the general area. The areas I hunt are only accessible on foot anyway.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by tom604 » 01 Jan 2017, 3:35 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Motor bikes are loud. Push bikes are very quiet. An advantage.

not with me huffing and puffing :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by shapeshifter » 01 Jan 2017, 4:23 pm

My thoughts reflect Happy's comments... They would just take me to the general area where a 2wd can't get to... there would inevitably be some hiking... although a drive thru Sambar shoot location in the Alpine region would make a killing! (Yep, I have both amused and amazed myself with that multi-layerd pun)

Anyhow, still can't see, how I could legally carry a rifle that can't be broken down with a bike unless it's legal to attach a secure hard case along the chasis of the bike.
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 01 Jan 2017, 8:58 pm

shapeshifter wrote:My thoughts reflect Happy's comments... They would just take me to the general area where a 2wd can't get to... there would inevitably be some hiking... although a drive thru Sambar shoot location in the Alpine region would make a killing! (Yep, I have both amused and amazed myself with that multi-layerd pun)

Anyhow, still can't see, how I could legally carry a rifle that can't be broken down with a bike unless it's legal to attach a secure hard case along the chasis of the bike.

I can't find anything to say it is illegal to carry a rifle in a back pack on a motorbike. It's legal to carry your rifle, in a gun bag down the foot path to the gun shop, or take it through an airport and other places so long as you don't leave it unattended. In a back pack, the gun is always in your possession and in a safe condition so it's all legal.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2017, 9:10 pm

" In a back pack, the gun is always in your possession and in a safe condition so it's all legal."

That's what I think too.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 01 Jan 2017, 10:44 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 03 Mar 2017, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by shapeshifter » 02 Jan 2017, 8:29 am

I hear what you guys are saying and theu are great responses and things to consider..... however....

My .243 cant be broken down. So picture this: lockable hard case saddle bags on the bike for the ammo and bolt. A locked hard case gun case secured to the bike frame from within the case (should be quick release so can remove when going to pay for fuel etc) for the gun. with trigger locked.
Attachments
images (10).jpg
images (10).jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 7701 times
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 02 Jan 2017, 9:02 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 03 Mar 2017, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by albat » 02 Jan 2017, 9:32 am

Oldbloke wrote:Yeh, Iv'e heard there are few hunters around use push bikes. Great idea. Guess you would need a rifle scabbard. (there is gear you can buy to carry on your back. perhaps a modified soft case?)

I had a rifle scabbard when I was shooting bad guys in Texas in the 1850s. LOL But sold it when I traded my horse in for a car.

If im going to a fairly remote area alone i chuck the mountain bike on the back of the ute not for hunting just for saftey in case of breakdown 10x quicker to ride out than walk might be the difference in a bad situation
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 03 Jan 2017, 1:09 pm

Yeah but some of us are unfit as hell :oops: :lol:
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jan 2017, 2:02 pm

SendIt wrote:

Yeah but some of us are unfit as hell :oops: :lol:

Then ride a push bike and you will get fit. :violin:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 25 Jan 2017, 9:47 pm

brett1868 wrote:That picture is all wrong...I've shot bunnies with a 375 H&H and it most definitely kills them :)

I know, right?

All these people that thank .30 cal and up won't kill rabbits!

:lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by John » 14 Apr 2020, 6:22 pm

Bunny busting is a Great way to get in to hunting and get some skills before getting in to the bigger centre fire stuff.
You will find rabbits easy enough with out having to to far off the beating track
Maybe get involved in a local hunting club some people there should be able to point you in the right direction and possibly get ya started at at a range to get your basics down pat
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private