Considering hunting but unsure if it is worthwhile

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Considering hunting but unsure if it is worthwhile

Post by Tomek » 01 Mar 2016, 7:28 pm

Hi All,

I am considering getting into hunting along with my girlfriend but I am unsure of a few things regarding my situation. I live in the north-west of Melbourne (Sydenham area).

1. I have a Toyota Yaris, and while I am willing to drive from Melbourne to distant state forests 3-4 hours away on hunting/camping trips, I am unsure if this car will be good. I've read here that the good spots like Mt. Beauty require a 4WD. Would my Yaris make hunting overly difficult? How much additional hiking would be required if I can't drive through certain roads?

2. I am interested in starting off with pest animals such as rabbits, foxes, cats and dogs.I believe that a .22 calibre is good for these (correct me if I'm wrong). However, I was also considering pigs, goats and small deer in the future in which case, I'd probably need to get a .223 rifle. Is it doable, considering my car, to hope to hunt such animals in state forests or are they really rare?

Thanks
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Considering hunting but unsure if it is worthwhile

Post by sandgroperbill » 02 Mar 2016, 12:09 am

G'day, tomek!

I would suggest going for a bit of a drive, visit a few smaller towns, fairs, etc, and stop in at the pubs to say hi to the locals. Make yourself known and let people see you're a decent guy, and meet a couple of locals. Once you get to know some of the locals, you might get to know a couple of farmers.

If you get permission to shoot on private property, the vehicle isn't t really an issue. .22 is a good starting point for bunnies, and you can use it on smaller properties.

If you think you're going to get into camping, want to get out bush, etc, look at a cheap fourbie, doesn't have to be anything flash, simple and reliable is the go. Doesn't have to be big, either, a daihatsu feroza or Suzuki sierra/Jimny or vitara are small, capable and reliable, and they can be had without breaking the bank.

Anyway, just a few extra thoughts for you
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Mar 2016, 3:28 am

G'day Tomek,
Ever hear of Jack Absalom? Bushman and painter went all over Aus in a Mitsubishi Sigma. Had one myself and took it over Mt Disappointment, most of the State Forests can be reasonably accessed with a Yaris, and a little bit of walking is almost always needed to camp and hunt. Jump in mate, you'll love it!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 02 Mar 2016, 4:01 am

You and your GF? Nice catch :)

Does she have a sister? You can visit your SIL and BIL Title when you want to come to the US and remove a hill off a map :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 02 Mar 2016, 8:02 am

Tomek, as above, you can access much of Vic in a 2wd. The Yaris may not appreciate it after a while, though; but you can do it. Just be sensible and stick to roads going to designated camp areas. Check any smaller track for navigability before heading down it. If it looks like a well made track at the intersection, you should be good to go but some track do degenerate as they go deeper into the bush, particularly popular ones that go up mountains, etc. Every man and his dog chew them up and they can get pretty rocky/bumpy in a small 2wd. That said, in younger years, i've taken small 2wds up to places like Lake Cobbler plenty of times.

As i tell just about everyone who say's they haven't been bush much but want to get into hunting; go out and do some camping, walking, hiking for a while before you take up "the hunt". Take a camera and shoot what ever you find with that. If you don't like the camping and hiking and can't find anything to shoot with your camera, then hunting may not be the thing for you and you'll save buying rifles you wont need and can just stick to range shooting. Hunting is mostly hiking and camping mixed in with game finding skills. If you don't yet have licence and rifle, this is also a good way get some experience in the bush looking for critters while you go through the licencing process.

As for rifles. 22lr for rabbit and hares and foxes out to maybe 100yd with good shooting skills. 223rem for the same out to 200+yds (limited mainly by shooting skill out to 400yd), maybe it will do goats and small pigs at inside 100yd with well placed shots and a suitable load. Pigs, goats, etc, really want something bigger than a 223; a 243win is a good place to start with those and even fallow deer (i believe) but as soon as you chase bigger deer species you need to go 270 and over in Victoria.

Hope that helps in some way.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tomek » 02 Mar 2016, 10:16 am

Thanks for the replies guys! This sure seems like a good community.

@sandgroperbill
I have some friends that I can ask about private farm property. They like me and they should know some people. It's something I'd look into after knowing I enjoy hunting in forests though. As for the car, it's too much of an expense to get a new car for me as this isn't likely to be a full-time type of hobby (yet?) to justify it. I could hire one in time to see if it helps.

@No1Mk3, @Gwion
I have actually taken my Yaris on some crazy tracks (by accident), and found that it did fine. The most perilous part I wouldn't try again was driving over a very large muddy pit. It was deeper than the clearance of the car haha. I carefully drove over the raised bits of the mud that some 4WD had left behind and made it. Eventually I reached a 30 degree decline so I had to turn back (and made it over the mud again!). Apart from the mud, I guess it's capable as long as you drive carefully and at the right angles over hills.

Your advice about just going out and camping and "hunting" with a camera is really good. I happen to have a 20x zoom pocket camera which would be perfect. Besides, by the time I get my Firearms safety course time-slot, it might take a while. Is there a forest you could recommend to try first? Like Mt. Beauty?

Also, in the chance I encounter a wild dog or pig, is dangerous without a weapon? Am I able to carry a hunting knife at least?

@Title_II
Yeah she is a cool girl. Very laid back and open. We usually play video games and exercise but want to do more some outdoor stuff. We had a try of rifle shooting the other day and really enjoyed it (I seemed to do better than the experienced guy next to me too :P). I've always thought that hunting is more ethical and respectful to the animal than supermarket meat and she is very interested in it as well. I didn't get get you SIL and BIL sentence? haha

She has a sister, currently in the US though. Dallas or Houston. Not sure if she is like my gf though haha.

------
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 02 Mar 2016, 10:25 am

First up, welcome aboard the both of you and I hope the missus will also join the forum so it's not so much the sausage fest it is currently.

Question...you ask if hunting is worthwhile, so what are you looking to get out of this? We all have different views on what we consider worthwhile.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 02 Mar 2016, 10:45 am

You are very unlikely to encounter a pig up around Mt Beauty area. Dogs, yes.

I have spent a hell of a lot of time in the bush alone in NE Vic over the years and while hearing the dogs howl at night makes me keep a tommy axe and good knife close to my pillow, the chances of needing to defend against dogs is also slim. A bush knife might make you feel better, i guess. Wont help much if bailed up by dogs, though.

Having fished a lot (no gun licence before moving to Tas) between Mt Beauty/back of Falls through to creeks around Marysville and out Gippsland, you have more to worry about from snakes and other smaller bitey things that you may be allergic to than you do from dogs. I haven't spent much time in known pig country and probably wouldn't with out a rifle.

I'd suggest starting closer to home. Cathedral Ranges, Little River, Big River (upper & lower), Eildon. As you are not yet 'hunting', you have more options open to you. Just get out there and see how you like it. I have seen rabbit, foxes and deer in all the places i just listed. Some you can hunt, some you cannot.

Once you have your kit sorted, know you like being out there and are closer to getting your rifle/s, you can start looking further afield and trying to find actual huntable areas.

Just my 2 bob's worth.
Good luck.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tomek » 02 Mar 2016, 11:01 am

brett1868 wrote:First up, welcome aboard the both of you and I hope the missus will also join the forum so it's not so much the sausage fest it is currently.

Question...you ask if hunting is worthwhile, so what are you looking to get out of this? We all have different views on what we consider worthwhile.

Hi Brett,

By worthwhile, I meant that if my car made it too difficult reach good hunting locations, I'd be stuck trying to hunt in places without many animals and I may go home empty handed too often.

As for what I hope to get out of it? Well, there's the outdoor experience and adventure, the thrill of the hunt, the meat, the knowledge that I am doing my best to take the animals down cleanly and they are not factory farmed. I also think that if one eats meat, one should be able to handle hunting and processing the animals. I respect vegetarians, but it irks me when someone who loves to eat meat, mocks vegetarians and yet is too squeamish to have anything to do with the reality of what they eat. I also like the idea of having and using a firearm for practical things. Perhaps influenced by games or just being a guy :)

Cheers!
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 02 Mar 2016, 11:03 am

Tomek wrote:@Title_II
Yeah she is a cool girl. Very laid back and open. We usually play video games and exercise but want to do more some outdoor stuff. We had a try of rifle shooting the other day and really enjoyed it (I seemed to do better than the experienced guy next to me too :P). I've always thought that hunting is more ethical and respectful to the animal than supermarket meat and she is very interested in it as well. I didn't get get you SIL and BIL sentence? haha

She has a sister, currently in the US though. Dallas or Houston. Not sure if she is like my gf though haha.

------

I want to be your Brother in Law (BIL) by snagging her sister :) Then when you visit the US we can have a family reunion and go out and destroy some stuff with wild abandon :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 02 Mar 2016, 11:11 am

Tomek wrote: I also think that if one eats meat, one should be able to handle hunting and processing the animals. I respect vegetarians, but it irks me when someone who loves to eat meat, mocks vegetarians and yet is too squeamish to have anything to do with the reality of what they eat.

I'm starting to like this fella already...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Tomek » 02 Mar 2016, 11:25 am

Title_II wrote:I want to be your Brother in Law (BIL) by snagging her sister :) Then when you visit the US we can have a family reunion and go out and destroy some stuff with wild abandon :)

Haha, that sure would be fun. Since getting interested in hunting, I am actually finally seeing an incentive for me to visit the US one day in the future.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 02 Mar 2016, 11:36 am

Great answer and that being your motivation to hunt then I'm sure it's worthwhile for you. Ignore the car thing for now, get out and about in the forests with the missus and hunt with the camera till you can get the license organises. You'll gather some experience and knowledge which is always a good thing. I don't own a 4WD but some of the guys I hunt with love the 4WD part just s much as the hunting so I tag along with them.
Are there any organisations in VIC that will teach hunters the best way to skin and butcher game? Might be worth checking out. Any preparation or knowledge you can pickup while waiting is all time saved later.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tomek » 02 Mar 2016, 1:02 pm

brett1868 wrote:Are there any organisations in VIC that will teach hunters the best way to skin and butcher game? Might be worth checking out. Any preparation or knowledge you can pickup while waiting is all time saved later.

Thanks Brett,

Yeah, my gf is already on board for the camera hunting and we shall get a simple instant tent after our Gold Coast trip next week. We'll get some other stuff together after more research and go try it out later this month.

As for skinning and butchering, there are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to skin, butcher, and even tan the pelts of all sorts of animals.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Mar 2016, 2:40 pm

THIS thread has the most potential I've seen for a while :D
Tomek, first of all, PM your future BIL your sisters details.... he WILL take care of her, he's very gentle and patient :lol:

As far as your GF being interested in shooting AND hunting; first thing to do is MARRY HER!

then get your longarm licence

Then buy a 308win

Then learn to shoot it

Then get your game licence

Then Jump in your Yaris and provided it hasnt rained, heavily, recently, it will take you anywhere and close enough to the Deer (provided by then the commie-tards havent locked up all of the State forest)

I have traveled in a Prius which not only traversed some of the most severe inclined goat tracks with boulders big enough to jack it off the ground for a full lube.... but it even had a space saver in use!! Yeah, what was I thunking :unknown: :mrgreen:

So dont look for excuses..... Let the god of sneaker inspire you! (you know, Nike... just do it??)

:welcome:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Mar 2016, 2:44 pm

As far as worthwhile....
You could walk the forest for 4hrs or 8hrs, not see anything (be sure many many animal did see you)...... then you'll understand the worth of the effort :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Tomek » 02 Mar 2016, 6:18 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote: :welcome:

Thanks for the warm welcome Genesis. Seems my girlfriend's sister is attracting a queue lol.
I think a .308 is overkill for me haha. Based on this chart, the highest I should go for is .243:

I'm torn between the .22 and .223/.243 as the bullet prices are miles apart! 10 cents per bullet VSS $1-$2 iss a big difference. I'm leaning towards the .22 though since it's a good way to start and rabbits / foxes are probably easier to come by compared to wild pigs. I always have the option for upgrading in the future of course, and I'd have developed better skills by then.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Mar 2016, 7:15 pm

Well if you're after Deer, in Vic you likely to find mostly one type.... the large type and there's a legal minimum 6.85mm in whatever case type/size you want..... so that strikes out the 243win... definitely the 223Rem....

If you want to buy another rifle when you're ready then thats another thing.... I would advise all noobs to start with a rimfire 22 for rifle use training practice and plinking, 12g for getting a bit of hardening up of the shoulder...and fun times. 22LR I would be limiting to bunnies, foxes.....

You'll find Red.... probably no moose though... :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 02 Mar 2016, 8:13 pm

That picture is all wrong...I've shot bunnies with a 375 H&H and it most definitely kills them :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tomek » 02 Mar 2016, 8:20 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Well if you're after Deer, in Vic you likely to find mostly one type.... the large type and there's a legal minimum 6.85mm in whatever case type/size you want..... so that strikes out the 243win... definitely the 223Rem....

If you want to buy another rifle when you're ready then thats another thing.... I would advise all noobs to start with a rimfire 22 for rifle use training practice and plinking, 12g for getting a bit of hardening up of the shoulder...and fun times. 22LR I would be limiting to bunnies, foxes.....

You'll find Red.... probably no moose though... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. Do pigs have a legal minimum calibre? Like .223 or .243?

Yeah after some thought I think I'm definitely going to go for the .22 and hunt rabbits and foxes. Cats too I think. Especially if the main larger calibre animals I can shoot are pigs. Great gun to start off with and cheap to buy, learn and use. Anyway, for now, I am going to be getting ready for the Gold Coast trip and the pseudo--hunting trip after that. Need a tent, camo clothing and a few other camping items plus a fox whistle. Looking forward to it a lot. Almost forgetting the Gold Coast trip!
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 02 Mar 2016, 10:22 pm

No legal minimum for piggies. Start with a 22.

On rabbits at your mate's place.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 03 Mar 2016, 5:50 am

Whether an activity is worthwhile is depends on the individual. Not having a 4WD means more walking. Not so much an issue on private land but on public land the areas you can set up camp will be limited. Not having a 4WD shouldn't be a decider.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 03 Mar 2016, 5:54 am

Thanks for the info. Do pigs have a legal minimum calibre? Like .223 or .243?

No. Best way to hunt pigs is with a dogs and a knife.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by AusTac » 03 Mar 2016, 6:09 am

Don't shoot a small caliber firearm at a large caliber animal, your likely to come off second best, id personally say get a .22 for practice and the small critters then a 30 cal or a 12g for the bigger stuff 308 id guess would be the cheapest of the .30's as its the most common
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Title_II » 03 Mar 2016, 6:17 am

Gwion wrote:No legal minimum for piggies. Start with a 22.

Hogs or whistle pigs? I can't believe some would hunt hogs with a .22.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 03 Mar 2016, 7:05 am

Title_II wrote:
Gwion wrote:No legal minimum for piggies. Start with a 22.

Hogs or whistle pigs? I can't believe some would hunt hogs with a .22.

No, the 22 is for the rabbits...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 03 Mar 2016, 10:07 am

Whistle pig? Is that like a Guinea Pig??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 03 Mar 2016, 10:19 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Whistle pig? Is that like a Guinea Pig??

OK, now we have to do reverse translations :D

It doesn't have a pouch so I'll just provide a quick link rather than trying to explain:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog

They make holes and mounds so people don't like them. Farmers hate them. Horses (and sometimes people) also break legs in the holes.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Modena » 03 Mar 2016, 8:37 pm

we don't have those here mate
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Mar 2016, 10:25 pm

Generally using the right caliber for the right game is a good move, but many years ago as a young hunter, just in my teens, I accounted for a lot of pigs with just a pea rifle (.22).
My son has a massive set of buff horns on his wall taken with a 223, (1 shot), so a shot placed in the right spot will get the job done. In saying that I have gone to the other extreme, a cat and a hare with a 45/70, 350 grn hollow point, doesn't leave anything to photograph.
Member-Deleted

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey