Considering hunting but unsure if it is worthwhile

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Considering hunting but unsure if it is worthwhile

Post by brett1868 » 02 Mar 2016, 8:13 pm

That picture is all wrong...I've shot bunnies with a 375 H&H and it most definitely kills them :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tomek » 02 Mar 2016, 8:20 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Well if you're after Deer, in Vic you likely to find mostly one type.... the large type and there's a legal minimum 6.85mm in whatever case type/size you want..... so that strikes out the 243win... definitely the 223Rem....

If you want to buy another rifle when you're ready then thats another thing.... I would advise all noobs to start with a rimfire 22 for rifle use training practice and plinking, 12g for getting a bit of hardening up of the shoulder...and fun times. 22LR I would be limiting to bunnies, foxes.....

You'll find Red.... probably no moose though... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. Do pigs have a legal minimum calibre? Like .223 or .243?

Yeah after some thought I think I'm definitely going to go for the .22 and hunt rabbits and foxes. Cats too I think. Especially if the main larger calibre animals I can shoot are pigs. Great gun to start off with and cheap to buy, learn and use. Anyway, for now, I am going to be getting ready for the Gold Coast trip and the pseudo--hunting trip after that. Need a tent, camo clothing and a few other camping items plus a fox whistle. Looking forward to it a lot. Almost forgetting the Gold Coast trip!
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 02 Mar 2016, 10:22 pm

No legal minimum for piggies. Start with a 22.

On rabbits at your mate's place.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 03 Mar 2016, 5:50 am

Whether an activity is worthwhile is depends on the individual. Not having a 4WD means more walking. Not so much an issue on private land but on public land the areas you can set up camp will be limited. Not having a 4WD shouldn't be a decider.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 03 Mar 2016, 5:54 am

Thanks for the info. Do pigs have a legal minimum calibre? Like .223 or .243?

No. Best way to hunt pigs is with a dogs and a knife.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by AusTac » 03 Mar 2016, 6:09 am

Don't shoot a small caliber firearm at a large caliber animal, your likely to come off second best, id personally say get a .22 for practice and the small critters then a 30 cal or a 12g for the bigger stuff 308 id guess would be the cheapest of the .30's as its the most common
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Title_II » 03 Mar 2016, 6:17 am

Gwion wrote:No legal minimum for piggies. Start with a 22.

Hogs or whistle pigs? I can't believe some would hunt hogs with a .22.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 03 Mar 2016, 7:05 am

Title_II wrote:
Gwion wrote:No legal minimum for piggies. Start with a 22.

Hogs or whistle pigs? I can't believe some would hunt hogs with a .22.

No, the 22 is for the rabbits...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 03 Mar 2016, 10:07 am

Whistle pig? Is that like a Guinea Pig??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 03 Mar 2016, 10:19 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Whistle pig? Is that like a Guinea Pig??

OK, now we have to do reverse translations :D

It doesn't have a pouch so I'll just provide a quick link rather than trying to explain:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog

They make holes and mounds so people don't like them. Farmers hate them. Horses (and sometimes people) also break legs in the holes.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Modena » 03 Mar 2016, 8:37 pm

we don't have those here mate
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Mar 2016, 10:25 pm

Generally using the right caliber for the right game is a good move, but many years ago as a young hunter, just in my teens, I accounted for a lot of pigs with just a pea rifle (.22).
My son has a massive set of buff horns on his wall taken with a 223, (1 shot), so a shot placed in the right spot will get the job done. In saying that I have gone to the other extreme, a cat and a hare with a 45/70, 350 grn hollow point, doesn't leave anything to photograph.
Member-Deleted

Post by headspace » 04 Mar 2016, 7:21 pm

Mate it looks like you're getting some great advice here, along with some borderline promiscuity. Just get used to shooting with that 22 at the rabbits and foxes making sure you can get a clean kill. Then think about moving up to something bigger. I believe that going from a 22 straight to something like a 308 is going to create a flinching problem and you won't like that and neither will your gal. I'd consider the .243 as your next step. You might consider a 270 as you next step, it actually punches harder than the 308, and is easier to shoot. Sure the 243 is not legal for Sambar but there are plenty of other animals in Vic that it will be great for. To you Victorians Sambar are a shooting equivalent to AFL.
As far as the Yaris is concerned, just drive to what you and the car are capable of and if in doubt, just don't. You have to get out and walk sooner or later anyway.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Mar 2016, 12:17 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Mar 2016, 12:25 pm

OFF THE SSAA SITE

• Rabbits and hares
When rabbit or hare hunting, most hunters would suggest that the minimum calibre cartridge for rifle hunting would be a .22 rimfire. The .22 rimfire is normally effective up to a range of 100m.
If using a shotgun, the range is reduced to around 50m. The most common shot sizes used for rabbit or hare hunting is between No. 4 and No. 6 where the shot sizes are heavy enough to produce a clean kill at moderate ranges without too much damage to the meat.
If you are shooting for meat, the placement of the shot is important. Head shots are certainly preferable because they don’t damage any of the meat.
The most common method to target rabbits and hares is spotlighting at night. Day time hunting is usually a combination of flushing animals from cover by noise or with dogs or shooting from a distance when they leave their warrens.
• Foxes and feral cats
Foxes and feral cats can be taken using the .22 rimfire or .22 Magnum rimfire at ranges out to about 100m. However, most hunters would agree that using a centrefire rifle provides the advantages of a flatter trajectory and a higher projectile energy that enables these animals to be taken at greater ranges. This longer range normally compensates for the cunningness of these particular species. Many hunters believe that the .17 Remington, .22 Hornet and .222, .230 and .22-250 Remington are all ideal cartridges.
Shotguns can also be used to take foxes and cats at closer range. The 12-gauge shotgun with 1.15oz loads of between BB and No. 2 size shot will despatch a fox or feral cat cleanly to ranges around 40m.
Most foxes and cats are hunted using spotlight at night. During the day, the use of a whistle that imitates the sound of a distressed rabbit can attract these animals within gun range. Foxes and cats can also be flushed out with dogs or noise towards a waiting gun line of hunters.
• Dingoes and wild dogs
Dingoes and wild dogs are bigger bodied than foxes and it is suggested that they not be shot with anything smaller than a .222 Remington, except at very close range. The .22-250 Remington and .243 Winchester are widely considered ideal choices for dingoes and wild dogs by most hunters who target them.
If shooting at close ranges, about 30m, the 12-gauge shotgun loaded with BB or SG shot will also be sufficient to produce a clean kill.
Wild dogs can be hunted using spotlight during the night, but due to their normal cunning behaviour, hunting on foot during the early and late day time hours seems to be the most common method used.
• Feral goats
It is suggested that goats should not be shot with anything smaller than a .22-250 and that something having similar muzzle velocity and energy to the .243 Winchester be used. The .243 Winchester has a sufficiently flat trajectory, which allows for accuracy at reasonably far distances if required. ‘Bush’ cartridges such as the .30-30 are sufficient for shooting these species at close ranges.
Most goat hunting involves hunting on foot with rifles. Goats tend to seek water holes at certain times of the day, which make prime areas in which to hide out or walk around.
• Feral pigs
Feral pigs can be quite dangerous and hunters should ensure that they have adequate means of despatching them quickly. When using a 12-gauge shotgun, you should only consider this approach if you load your shotgun with rifle slugs or buckshot. Lever-action cartridges of .30-30, .44-40 and .44 Magnum from Ruger carbines are effective on feral pigs at close ranges. If a shot is to be taken at a longer range, the .243 Winchester, .25-06 Remington and other similar rifle cartridges are good for taking feral pigs in a humane manner.
Most feral pig hunting involves locating an area where the animals are present on foot, quad bike or other vehicle. Once located, the hunter should endeavour to find a position that allows a safe and accurate shot to be taken. Another common way to hunt pigs is with the assistance of dogs. The dogs will locate and hold the feral pig in an area for the hunter to then quickly despatch.
• Buffalo, feral donkeys, horses and camels

Some of these larger species can weigh up to 1 ton and require cartridges significantly larger than those already mentioned. Cartridges such as the .270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum and .30-06 Springfield are commonly used for these large animals. A .300 Winchester Magnum and .375 Holland & Holland Magnum are common for big-game use.
The main method for hunting these larger species is based on locating them either by vehicle or on foot, then positioning yourself for a safe and effective shot.
• Deer
Different states have different minimum legal calibres which must be used for deer hunting in Australia. To maintain compliance with all the different state regulations, it is suggested that all deer be taken with a calibre no less than .270 anywhere in Australia. Certain smaller species can be taken with a minimum calibre of .240 in Tasmania and a .243 in New South Wales. As an ethical hunter, you should always check with state authorities to ensure that you remain compliant with current regulations.
Deer are usually stalked on foot after coming across tracks or other forms of evidence indicating the presence of a nearby animal. Hunters also use stationary tree platforms where they sit and wait for a deer to approach.
• Waterfowl
Hunting of ducks and geese during an open season or on destruction permit is done solely with the use of shotguns. The loads used vary depending on the species being shot and the range from which it is shot. Typically, 1.125 to 1.25oz loads of No. 4 shot are used for hunting black duck and No. 6 shot is suggested for smaller species such as teal. Shot type may change depending on the way the bird is targeted. If taking passing birds, shot size would be normally be larger than situations where a hunter is taking birds landing on decoys. The velocity of the load should be as high as possible to give as much energy as possible for shots at maximum range. Guns typically require at least one barrel with a full choke to take ducks adequately at maximum range. All states require the use of lead-alternative shot such as steel or bismuth. Before going bird hunting, it is suggested that you get as much practice as possible using clay targets to ensure you hold the necessary skills to shoot accurately and produce clean kills.
To undertake duck hunting, hunters will need to pass the Waterfowl Identification Test (WIT). Some states make available ‘game reserves’ where duck hunting is allowed on public land. Duck hunting is permitted on private land but is subject to relevant state regulations.
To hunt ducks, hunters normally lay out a pattern of decoys in the water in front of a hide or camouflaged screen which keeps them out of view of incoming flying ducks. Hunters would normally shoot ducks that fly across or land among the decoys that they set. Many duck hunters utilise gundogs to retrieve their birds.
• Quail, pigeons and pheasant
These birds are normally taken with a smaller shot size in shotguns of all gauges. The most commonly used cartridge for a 12-gauge shotgun is a 1.125oz load of No. 6 to No. 9 size shot, depending on the game bird. It is important to remember that the smaller the shot size, the less energy will be retained by each pellet in flight. This decreases the effective range at which it can be shot. The choke level is just as important as the shot charge and size when hunting these birds. A tight choke will hold a tighter shot pattern which will maximise the effectiveness of the cartridge.
Hunting for these game birds usually involves walking around a specific hunting area with trained gundogs, which assist to ‘flush’ the birds from cover and then retrieve them after they have been shot.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Vati » 13 Apr 2016, 3:33 pm

Tomek wrote:Based on this chart, the highest I should go for is .243:

.243 is a very versatile cartridge.

50gr - 100gr projectiles and it will take everything from rabbits to the small deer breeds comfortably.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 13 Apr 2016, 5:13 pm

Modena wrote:we don't have those here mate

I can bring a breeding pair ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Apr 2016, 5:56 pm

Title_II wrote:
Modena wrote:we don't have those here mate

I can bring a breeding pair ;)

Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup:

oh hang on, foxes were also a 'plan' back in the day....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by WayneO » 13 Apr 2016, 6:41 pm

You are about to enter into a lifestyle that will burn deep into your soul and contaminate your blood with un-explainable emotions.This lifestyle reduces grown men to tears and makes them as excited as children, makes your heart race, your blood turn cold, your mouth go dry, your stomach jump, swim and tighten into balls. Reduces your bank account, makes your mind wander off, and in extreme cases has been know to totally relax even the most anal of people. It also causes shortness of breath, uncontrollable shaking of limbs, dryness of eyes and excessive sweating. Not to mention pain in the lower back and feet, strained necks and sunburst skin. It also creates an awareness like nothing you have ever experienced and a tranquil calm over mind body and soul that can not be explained, but once experienced is completely and utterly addictive.
Last edited by WayneO on 14 Apr 2016, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 13 Apr 2016, 8:34 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: bravo :clap: :clap: :clap: ,,a bit over done but still :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Supporter » 15 Apr 2016, 10:27 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:oh hang on, foxes were also a 'plan' back in the day....

And how good was the introduction of cane toads.

Bravo.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 15 Apr 2016, 12:29 pm

OK, how bout some Yotes?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm

The ACME type?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 15 Apr 2016, 1:59 pm

yep, foxes are a problem but it would be a sad day if there were none left to shoot. I don't mind the idea of using wild dogs to control foxes, although the farmers hate the idea, but so long as there is some type of canine predator to hunt and kill me be a happy boy.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Title_II » 15 Apr 2016, 11:26 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:The ACME type?

Order now and get an anvil and a case of TNT free!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Kai » 16 Apr 2016, 7:49 am

I've done alot of hunting using quite a few different 2 wheel drive cars, just know its limits and get out and check ahead if in doubt.
Just finished 3 days hunting and all I used was a mazda 323, was parked right in the middle of deer action and got onto 7 sambar all up
Kai
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Redwood » 19 Sep 2016, 11:01 am

Kai wrote:Just finished 3 days hunting and all I used was a mazda 323

Where though. Private property with gravel road?
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Nov 2016, 11:22 am

Tomek wrote:

Yeah, I know, :zombie:

But I randomly decided to click the link at the bottom of another thread to look at this chart and it's all wrong.

For example, compare .308 vs .30-06 for starters...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by The Brass » 06 Dec 2016, 10:41 am

Probably just got their labels wrong typing it out.

Whatever though really, it's just a rough guide.

People get the gist of it.
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Dec 2016, 12:33 pm

The Brass wrote:Probably just got their labels wrong typing it out.

Whatever though really, it's just a rough guide.

People get the gist of it.

Wrong?
Nah, everyone know the '08 is more awesomer than the '06..... 8 is more then 6 anyway. 33% more :P
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey