First time spotting in Wombat SF - Any better ideas?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

First time spotting in Wombat SF - Any better ideas?

Post by Tomek » 03 Apr 2016, 1:11 pm

I'm looking to get into pest hunting and just took my first trip to Wombat SF last weekend with my girlfriend. Trekked round 3km through the forest, stopping frequently to look around into the distance but saw nothing except a wombat, a dead rat like Australian animal and a small leech on my finger :) Great challenging bush-walk, 7km in total with the return trip, however, a little disappointing that I didn't even see anything.

After coming back home and reading around, I wonder whether it was the time of day. Apparently, it's best to go out early morning like 5am (4am now), or as it's getting dark. We went at around 11am... I've also read that Wombat SF is relatively empty although others have said they often see some pest animals when going out in the early morning.

I have at least 2 such spotting trips left before I get my firearm so I was wondering if you guys could recommend me other state forests to go where there is more to spot. Grampians? Kinglake? Redcastle? Rushworth? As far Mt. beauty?

Please keep in mind that I have a Yaris. Wombat SF was limited enough as going any deeper than Nolan's Picnic Area would have been undoable lol.

Thanks
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: First time spotting in Wombat SF - Any better ideas?

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Apr 2016, 5:42 pm

I think morning is a little better than evenings. Not a lot around wombat these days but can be a nice stroll. :)
Forget the grampians almost completely no go zones. Perhaps better to head north east.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bosbefok » 03 Apr 2016, 9:07 pm

To see skittish animals (hunted animals are skittish) you are best to wake before light and walk around early morning. Midday most animals bed down to rest. Also while hunting public land you are better off going where the least amount of people go.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Tomek » 06 Apr 2016, 11:07 am

I'm probably going to go to Mt. Disappointment next and try walking both deep in the forest, as well as a section near farmland. After that, we'll go the Mt. Beauty area and see how that goes.Always upwind :)
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 06 Apr 2016, 2:48 pm

Tomek wrote:I'm probably going to go to Mt. Disappointment next and try walking both deep in the forest, as well as a section near farmland. After that, we'll go the Mt. Beauty area and see how that goes.Always upwind :)

Mt. Disappointment can get very busy on weekends with hunters, motorbike riders, people camping and 4x4ing so I'd agree on having to walk deep into the bush.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sleepy_Hunter » 07 Apr 2016, 6:56 pm

It is good to get out to Dissa during the week you feel like you have the forest to yourself. Problem is just finding animals.
SAUER 101 Classic XT 9.3x62 MAUSER
HOWA 1500 SPORTER 6.5x55 SWEDE
HOWA 1500 SPORTER .270 WIN
CZ-452 .22MAG
70LB ELITE ENERGY 32 COMPOUND BOW.
Sleepy_Hunter
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 20 Apr 2016, 10:54 am

Oldbloke wrote:Not a lot around wombat these days but can be a nice stroll. :)

Yeah, seems all the hunting success stories are from the good old days.

Nothing much reported lately.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 20 Apr 2016, 7:47 pm

What? Nobody else seen the dead fallow doe on the side of ##### #### road just east of the ###### ####? I'd recommend having a scout close to the ######## catchment area on the south side of ###### ##### road.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by morgsj50 » 05 Jul 2016, 1:47 am

I've been out there a few times now, haven't seen anything but Roos and 1 wombat, the low lying ferns give smaller animals too much cover so ya can't see them... Wouldn't mind having a look in there at night though.
morgsj50
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Berper » 06 Jul 2016, 3:22 pm

Reading the other topic about VIC spotlighting laws I take it you can't at night though?
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey