FAVOURITE SKINNING KNIFE

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: FAVOURITE SKINNING KNIFE

Post by Gwion » 03 May 2018, 4:46 pm

Midwestman wrote:that's how we dress our animals on the farm

Do you use your teeth to make the initial incision and cut around the ankles??? :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Midwestman » 03 May 2018, 4:52 pm

just to remove the testes :sarcasm: :drinks:
carl gustov 03 mauser 6.5x55
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 03 May 2018, 5:14 pm

:lol: :drinks: :lol:

Midwestman wrote:just to remove the testes :sarcasm: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stix » 03 May 2018, 6:26 pm

Midwestman wrote:just to remove the testes :sarcasm: :drinks:

Got pics demonstrating this technique...? :lol: :lol: :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Midwestman » 03 May 2018, 6:39 pm

in all seriousness gwion,i learnt that way off a good mate of mine sheep farmer from Central Victoria,we give each other a hand alot,he comes up too property i work in Central West High Country,and i go down there for a working holiday. so when shearing,lambing drenching culling etc help each other out. So there i was one day just culled a few hoggits got them hanging and skinning away me with my swibo(great Knifes),and i turned around too see how he was going,and his got half his arm half down the belly i was thinking WTF,you mexicans sure do strange things down there,and he said watch and learn so i did,i was totally amazed and when he finished pushing his hand around and all the carcass gave the skin a good pull,to my amazement all came off super clean ,best skin and dressed carcass ever seen and he did to my 1 1/2.Was totally amazed at the speed could do it and how clean the skin was and how it came off the carcass,so that's how i always do it. Thats a true story. Come up the farm for shoot and camp one day Gwion and i'll show.works for everything i now do rabbits,foxes,goats,sheep,cattle,deer,pigs like that only thing knife does now is guts and cuts around the ankles. :welcome: :drinks:
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 03 May 2018, 6:48 pm

Midwestman wrote:in all seriousness gwion,i learnt that way off a good mate of mine sheep farmer from Central Victoria,we give each other a hand alot,he comes up too property i work in Central West High Country,and i go down there for a working holiday. so when shearing,lambing drenching culling etc help each other out. So there i was one day just culled a few hoggits got them hanging and skinning away me with my swibo(great Knifes),and i turned around too see how he was going,and his got half his arm half down the belly i was thinking WTF,you mexicans sure do strange things down there,and he said watch and learn so i did,i was totally amazed and when he finished pushing his hand around and all the carcass gave the skin a good pull,to my amazement all came off super clean ,best skin and dressed carcass ever seen and he did to my 1 1/2.Was totally amazed at the speed could do it and how clean the skin was and how it came off the carcass,so that's how i always do it. Thats a true story. Come up the farm for shoot and camp one day Gwion and i'll show.works for everything i now do rabbits,foxes,goats,sheep,cattle,deer,pigs like that only thing knife does now is guts and cuts around the ankles. :welcome: :drinks:

Hey midwestman, when you say only an entry hole near the arse, where exactly & how big...?
And how do you get your hand all the way down to the head of larger animals, & in the legs of smaller ones..?...or am i just missing something...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 03 May 2018, 6:50 pm

Midwestman wrote:in all seriousness gwion,i learnt that way off a good mate of mine sheep farmer from Central Victoria,we give each other a hand alot,he comes up too property i work in Central West High Country,and i go down there for a working holiday. so when shearing,lambing drenching culling etc help each other out. So there i was one day just culled a few hoggits got them hanging and skinning away me with my swibo(great Knifes),and i turned around too see how he was going,and his got half his arm half down the belly i was thinking WTF,you mexicans sure do strange things down there,and he said watch and learn so i did,i was totally amazed and when he finished pushing his hand around and all the carcass gave the skin a good pull,to my amazement all came off super clean ,best skin and dressed carcass ever seen and he did to my 1 1/2.Was totally amazed at the speed could do it and how clean the skin was and how it came off the carcass,so that's how i always do it. Thats a true story. Come up the farm for shoot and camp one day Gwion and i'll show.works for everything i now do rabbits,foxes,goats,sheep,cattle,deer,pigs like that only thing knife does now is guts and cuts around the ankles. :welcome: :drinks:

Yep. Learned similar technique from mobile butcher who came to do some lambs for us because we had more than I wanted to do on my own. Same "punching" the skin off but we unzip the skin first. He also dresses them "upside down" to what most people do: works very well and makes sense once you see it in action. Tricks I picked up from him have cut my dressing time by more than half but still no where as quick as this guy! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Midwestman » 03 May 2018, 7:21 pm

yeah it certainly works well gwion.i always hang my carcass upside down as well,great chatting with you mate,welcome to come to the property one day if you want gwion. :drinks: ,love talking to other people of the land,learn something new every day. I'm actually going to let a few people come up for a shoot as ferals getting out of hand now in search off water,had to buy water last week,rivers dry things aren;t to good where we are at the moment desperately need some rain. but back too knifes i own and use gherbas,swibos the krauts and swiss make great knifes. :thumbsup:
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 04 May 2018, 12:04 pm

:huh: ....nope...?... :unknown: ah well...

Maybe because i use cheap knives...? :roll:

Or could be because i dont own land...?... :cry:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deanp100 » 06 May 2018, 9:30 am

I would have to think you would be struggling doing cattle like this. Abattoirs need a very large hide puller to get a cattle hide off. I can’t see how a man could do it by hand.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 May 2018, 11:44 am

Midwestman wrote:i think the best skinning knife is your bare hands,i just make an entry hole near the arse and slide my hand in then slide my hand all thru carcass while still warm straight after slaughter,removing the skin from the cracass,and all in one piece round cuts nera the ankle joints and then pull skin off in one go has no meat at all on it,beautiful and clean,same way dress a sheep,cow,goat etc

that's the way I have been taught, its getting lost though to people who cut the skin off instead of punching it off
I leave the deer skins on till I am ready to bone out so the meat is still moist, it does take longer and is harder to get off
but I get a skin that is very clean and no cut marks or salvage :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by alan j » 27 Oct 2019, 1:49 pm

Anyone like the dexter rusell green river carbon knives with the wooded handle ???
alan j
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Oct 2019, 3:00 pm

For small technical bit I like havalon piranha with replaceable long scalpel blades
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 Oct 2019, 4:01 pm

alan j wrote:Anyone like the dexter rusell green river carbon knives with the wooded handle ???

l know a few blokes who like them :drinks: funny thing now that l think of it they are all members of the ssaa and thats where they bought them :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 31 Oct 2019, 3:15 pm

alan j wrote:Anyone like the dexter rusell green river carbon knives with the wooded handle ???

They are a good knife but a little soft. They are made to be worked hard and on a sharpening steel a lot. Couple of cuts, couple of strokes. The wooden handles aren’t allowed in abattoirs, but outside of that they go well.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 04 Nov 2019, 7:59 pm

Victorinox / Geiser/Swibo are my pick.

I always go into the field with at least 3-4 skinners sharpened so when one looses its edge, i just pick up the next one ...and so on. I then usually restore the ones with a dull edge in the evening over a coffee listening to the radio.

For field dressing knives - Bahco make a dandy little knife - which is the same as the Morakniv ......forgot the model but well under $20 and just the ticket...

Dont forget the glass fibre skinning /butchering gloves too!

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Nov 2019, 9:25 pm

When u say upside down, do you mean "head up" instead of "arse up".?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey