FAVOURITE SKINNING KNIFE

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

FAVOURITE SKINNING KNIFE

Post by alan j » 06 Apr 2016, 7:35 pm

Hey men, interested to find out what your most loved skinning knife is. Mine is a very old Buck 3 blade folder made in usa, very similar to an old timer stockman. Easy to sharpen and holds an edge well. I dont want to lose this one.
alan j
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: FAVOURITE SKINNING KNIFE

Post by tom604 » 06 Apr 2016, 8:12 pm

what ever i have at the time, :D but not a boner,,they make too many holes :lol: ,,,and yes i know how it reads :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by CatDog » 06 Apr 2016, 11:31 pm

Green River
Sterling .22LR / Ruger American 22mag / Savage axis .223 / C Gustav 6.5x55.
CatDog
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by WayneO » 07 Apr 2016, 5:22 pm

been using a CRKT for a while now and really liking it, its a folder with a more than decent gut hook. But mostly I use one of my own hand made knives.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 07 Apr 2016, 5:58 pm

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 08 Apr 2016, 10:59 am

My current is some no-name, getting to the end of it's legs now though and needs replacing.

I've taken a shining to Puma knifes, they do a skinner but nothing with a hook. I'm half hoping they will come up with one before I bite the bullet and buy something :lol:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by WayneO » 11 Apr 2016, 11:14 pm

The Puma knives are very nice, never owned one but lots of my clients do and the work really well. Do yourself a favor and have a look at the CKRT knives.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 12 Apr 2016, 6:51 am

Broad blade Sheffield skinner.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by wrenchman » 12 Apr 2016, 9:49 am

buck 110 but i have read on here that you guys cant get them any more
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Chronos » 12 Apr 2016, 10:16 am

wrenchman wrote:buck 110 but i have read on here that you guys cant get them any more

Don't know where you heard that but they're available here, around $80 Australian though. I'll take 4 Victorinox skinners for that money

There were some restrictions on single handed openers but they've been removed now. A flood of spiderco's coming in now :clap:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 12 Apr 2016, 10:22 am

Chronos wrote: ......I'll take 4 Victorinox skinners for that money......

There were some restrictions on single handed openers but they've been removed now.......

The Victorinox and Swibo are definitely good work horse knives but don't have the style and appeal of a purpose made hunter/skinner.

Hadn't heard about the import restriction on single openers being lifted. Might send my Bench Made back to be rebuilt now that i will be able to have to mailed back. After 20 years of heavy abuse, it is very loose in the pivot. Might even get an upgrade.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sender » 15 Apr 2016, 9:51 am

WayneO wrote:The Puma knives are very nice, never owned one but lots of my clients do and the work really well.

Agree, really like the Pumas.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by WayneO » 19 Apr 2016, 7:36 pm

My newest addition to my knife collection. A damascus steel neck knife. As far as a small, lightweight utility knife goes, I think you will have to go a long way to beat one of these.
Attachments
Neck Knife 3.jpg
Neck Knife 3.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 8877 times
Neck Knife 2.jpg
Neck Knife 2.jpg (912.99 KiB) Viewed 8877 times
Neck Knife 1.jpg
Neck Knife 1.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 8877 times
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Apr 2016, 10:17 pm

I use a boning knife on the foxes etc, works fine for me, holds a good edge, cost $20 from my local butcher.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 20 Apr 2016, 4:31 am

i dont think i would pay that much for a buck 110 nither and there are some well made knifes.
I do no knifes are like guns what i think is a good one for me might not be for you.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by VICHunter » 05 Jul 2016, 2:46 pm

They're all pretty to look at though :mrgreen:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jul 2016, 2:54 pm

I used my "Favorite" read only knife to help put this little number together. Had a bit of fox skin laying around doing nothing so thought why not, need something a little warmer for when winter finally hits.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Press » 26 Sep 2016, 2:40 pm

BBJ wrote:I've taken a shining to Puma knifes, they do a skinner but nothing with a hook. I'm half hoping they will come up with one before I bite the bullet and buy something :lol:

Just looking on their site, they do 100 knives but not 1 hook :unknown:
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 28 Apr 2018, 5:09 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I use a boning knife on the foxes etc, works fine for me, holds a good edge, cost $20 from my local butcher.

+1 Butchers knives are made for work. Don't be fooled into other knives that try to re-invent the wheel.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Apr 2018, 8:37 pm

Check out Morakniv for budget quality Swedish knives. Great bit of gear, I never go hunting without one. If you lose it you can replace it for not much money.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 28 Apr 2018, 10:21 pm

---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by marksman » 28 Apr 2018, 11:07 pm

there are puma's and there are puma's, they are not all the same quality

I use swibo and victorinox in 5 inch
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Apr 2018, 12:29 am

What breed is that one JS ?
Member-Deleted

Post by juststarting » 29 Apr 2018, 4:52 pm

grandadbushy wrote:What breed is that one JS ?

This one:
https://youtu.be/36_slnYU-EA

Settled on this after a couple of others.

...and you can run steel rod sharpener over the blade, when butchering. I have a little sharpening rod, like $4 or $6 from eBay and this knife. That's all I have/use.

(Have a Leatherman backup, but everyone should have a Leatherman 8-) )
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 29 Apr 2018, 5:31 pm

after years of working in abattoirs I couldn't go past Victorinox knives so easy to put an edge on that a steel is all they really need and rarely need to see the stone, yet to come across a knife that you can get as sharp and keep that way so easily
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Apr 2018, 6:36 pm

Thanks JS I will look into one of those check the price and such ideal for what I do
thanks again
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 29 Apr 2018, 7:07 pm

Ive got so many knives...& lots of them i "want" to be my favourite...
But these are the 4 most used & 3 best performers i always come back to...(forgive the current condition of them)...they are all amongst the cheapest kines i have
2018-04-29 18.07.14.jpg
Most used knives
2018-04-29 18.07.14.jpg (390.76 KiB) Viewed 7553 times

The top one is a really stiff blade $5 bait knife that can do anything i want it to do, & do it well...due to its low cost it can get a hammering (if i take it out) so it tends to loose its edge easily--but a quick lick & it'll skin a tomato...its really good on de-legging goats too.

Next is a $40 special folder...it lives in the pocket & therefor does the most necks & gut dropping of bunnies...its a pig to sharpen, the edge dulls quickly & takes a lot of work to bring it back, it doesnt penetrate the neck too well to nick the juggular... its only in my pocket the most as ill be the least upset if i loose it in a paddock...its just about done its dash with me.

The third one from top cost <$35 a few years back...its a little folder & a cracker when it comes to skinning bunnies--brilliant shape & ideal blade length & easy enough to get a skinning edge back with--it lives in the drivers door handle.

Last one only gets used skinning out goats--its the most efficient i have at boning out a goats rear leg off a hook while holding the blade & only using the last 1-1.5" of blade. Its razor sharp yet hasnt got an edge grind-go figure... :lol:
One day id like to make a really nice handle & sheath for it & get a knife professional to clean it up properly & give it the edge it deserves...one day...
Cost me nothing & ive had it for as long as i remember--the ol'man gave it to me as a kid.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 29 Apr 2018, 8:29 pm

IMG_20180417_172609.jpg
IMG_20180417_172609.jpg (224.32 KiB) Viewed 7546 times

At the moment this unknown butchers knife I resurrected for larger critters, for smaller stuff I like my opinel folders
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Midwestman » 03 May 2018, 1:17 pm

i think the best skinning knife is your bare hands,i just make an entry hole near the arse and slide my hand in then slide my hand all thru carcass while still warm straight after slaughter,removing the skin from the cracass,and all in one piece round cuts nera the ankle joints and then pull skin off in one go has no meat at all on it,beautiful and clean,same way dress a sheep,cow,goat etc
carl gustov 03 mauser 6.5x55
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Midwestman » 03 May 2018, 1:18 pm

that's how we dress our animals on the farm
carl gustov 03 mauser 6.5x55
savage 223
Midwestman