Give an international visitor some shooting / hunting?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Give an international visitor some shooting / hunting?

Post by abrogard » 14 Apr 2016, 10:33 am

I have a brother in law visiting from the States in a couple of months. He's a shooter. How can I go about organising a bit of a shot for him? I was thinking pigs maybe. I've never shot them but I believe it is supposed to be good sport.
abrogard
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Give an international visitor some shooting / hunting?

Post by Xerox » 14 Apr 2016, 11:23 am

Hey abrogard,

I think you're only option is going to be take him to a range which rents out rifles, which will me 22lr only for you I think.

Outside of the range he would require a license to go hunting.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 14 Apr 2016, 1:23 pm

I read something about temporary licenses and permits for travelers, obviously, you'd need to supply him with a rifle and he's need to prove eligibility... I definitely read something on this. Google for "shooting and international travellers" maybe.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 14 Apr 2016, 1:41 pm

Some international visitors to Australia use firearms during their stay to participate in competitive sports
shooting events and / or safari hunts.
Are you planning to use firearms during your visit to Australia? If yes, you will need to make application for the
appropriate permits from Australian police BEFORE you arrive.
WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO?
If you want to use firearms during your stay in Australia, you need to obtain two permits:
• An international visitors firearms permit (to allow to possess, carry and use firearms during your stay);
and
• An import permit (to allow you to bring firearms into the country).
Application should be made to the police of the Australian State or Territory you will be hunting or competing in
initially. For example, if you plan to hunt or compete initially in the state of Victoria (even though you may later
visit other State/s or Territory), then make application to Victoria Police for both permits.
If you plan to move between different States and Territories thereafter and have a permit in one jurisdiction
you may need to obtain an International Visitors Permit from each State / Territory you visit. Check with the
respective police as requirements do vary between jurisdictions.
Application forms can be obtained from police in every jurisdiction. Contact numbers are listed over page.
Make sure the application/s is fully and accurately completed. This will ensure your application is processed
expediently.
WHEN SHOULD I APPLY?
Make application well in advance of your visit, at least 6 weeks before your arrival. This will ensure that
Australian police will have time to process your application and issue your permits. You will require these
documents to produce to Customs Officials on arrival in Australia.
WHAT WILL I BE ALLOWED TO DO?
The issued permits will allow the person named in the permit/s to import the specified firearm/s into Australia
for the purposes stated on the application. Strict conditions will apply with the permit/s:
• You WILL only be allowed to use firearm/s for specified purposes (competitive sports shooting events
or safari hunting) as stated in the application;
• You MUST comply with all the legislative requirements in respect to firearms in the Australian State/s
or Territories you are visiting;
• You MUST observe specific storage requirements;
• You MUST carry the permit at all times and produce this documentation to Australian police on request;
and
• You MUST ensure that you take your firearm/s with you out of Australia when you depart.
Note: Permits will be issued for the duration of your stay in Australia. all you need to know
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 14 Apr 2016, 1:42 pm

I went through this with a cousin few months ago he ended up not using it
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by abrogard » 14 Apr 2016, 2:59 pm

Thanks for that pomemax, it really does seem to be all i need to know. it's not for me, didn't i say that? it's an american brother in law actually. i'm a licensed shooter in the NT but I'm not looking to shoot. just gathering info for him. probably don't need to, he's going to NZ to shoot first before he comes here. that must have been a deliberate choice of some kind. too many hassles here or he prefers that kind of country for hunting, don't know..

:)
abrogard
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 14 Apr 2016, 6:33 pm

A pro hunting guide is the easiest way and you will be covered by their license. Not cheap though. They advertise in shooting magazines.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by abrogard » 14 Apr 2016, 9:19 pm

Ah, okay, that'd be the kind of thing, I think. He's got a few dollars, possibly wouldn't mind the cost. As I said, though, about the NZ thing, he's probably got it all covered, I'm just thinking ahead lest he turns around to me and asks if he can get in a shot somewhere.

Crossed my mind there may be some kind of rules and regs allowing for reciprocal rights or something for well qualified shooters from overseas...

If I was up the North I wouldn't worry, we'd go out to a property somewhere and perhaps even take a bit of a chance, you know, if he was that kind of guy (I don't know, this will be a first meeting). And if he wasn't well then he could come along and watch me or forget the whole thing.

Pro Hunting Guide. I can probably google one somewhere. Interesting. Thanks for that.

:)
abrogard
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey