Are we able to shoot in firewood collection areas? (VIC)

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Are we able to shoot in firewood collection areas? (VIC)

Post by Tomek » 24 Apr 2016, 5:17 pm

Hi,

Due to the general conservative nature of shooting rules, I'd think we are not, however, the firewood collection area signs in Mt. Disappointment don't mention anything about shooting, nor do any Google searches I've done. So is it ok? If not, is there a 100m exclusion area or something like with public roads?

Thanks,
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Are we able to shoot in firewood collection areas? (VIC)

Post by AusTac » 24 Apr 2016, 5:29 pm

I probably wouldn't, busy this time of year, been looking for a clearning up there myself, id probably pick a recently logged area like escreet rd or something and try and get in deep and unseen and try and be fairly quiet, i usually go to toolangi.

Don't think the cops/dse would be to appreciative of it eaither. Could check with Whittlsea cop shop, but then you bring attention to youself, catch 22 firearm law sucks
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Kai » 24 Apr 2016, 9:29 pm

I've camped in and hunted deer in a fire collection area, no one was around, no signs saying I couldn't, spoke to a ranger who pulled up.
He was just interested in what I was up to, said everything was allgood, I'm in a state forest so allowed to be hunting deer.
He hung around for awhile asking general questions about deer hunting and how long I was staying etc, was a polite bloke, and off he went.
If in doubt check with the relevant authority tho.

Edit- this was during the week in a relatively remote firewood collection area where no one except me and the ranger were around, otherwise I would have gone somewhere else
Kai
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 25 Apr 2016, 5:58 pm

Not to sure I want to try and hunt in a place where every man and his dog is walking around picking up wood and making a noise. Not only because they would annoy me, but I also dont ever want to put someone else's life in danger.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tomek » 25 Apr 2016, 7:46 pm

WayneO wrote:Not to sure I want to try and hunt in a place where every man and his dog is walking around picking up wood and making a noise. Not only because they would annoy me, but I also dont ever want to put someone else's life in danger.

To be fair, I doubt these guys go and collect wood at 5am...
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 25 Apr 2016, 10:23 pm

True, but hey, I dont go hunting at 5am either.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Apr 2016, 9:21 am

If I'm shooting on public lands, I always consider there may be people around, not there there usually is.... but the safety rules always apply; consider the backdrop one, in front of the target, not shooting up, over a rise or hill etc.... So considering the size of the area;

http://delwp.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/p ... iewMap.pdf

Which are up to 7 or more kays long.....there not small fenced of areas, maybe thats what some people are imagining??

Although there may be public safety zones in place as well, these are not mapped on the game or other maps and are areas normally associated with forestry from where you can be 'removed' and as far as I'm aware can not shoot or hunt. They cover vast areas....

If unsure ask the alphabet department, but they will almost always take the 'safe' approach and say 'no', whether correct legally or not.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 26 Apr 2016, 12:01 pm

Chainsaws = spooked game. probably a waste of time unless the area has been unused for a time. Otherwise, use the common sense rule.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Kai » 26 Apr 2016, 12:55 pm

Whether you think a place is busy with people or not, you still have to be sure with your shot, could be another hunter, bird watcher, hiker or lost kid behind the next tree or rock, even if you think your in the middle of no where.

Identify your target and backstop
Kai
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 26 Apr 2016, 1:58 pm

I don't understand a single word of this except "shooting."

Can somebody tell me what a firewood collection area is?

I hope it doesn't have a pouch ;) j/k
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 26 Apr 2016, 2:04 pm

Title_II wrote:I don't understand a single word of this except "shooting."

Can somebody tell me what a firewo from d collection area is?

I hope it doesn't have a pouch ;) j/k

It's an area of public forest where the government organisation responsible for forest management sets aside for the public to collect wood to burn in there wood heaters. Trees are felled and left on the ground for people to cut up and cart away. Sometimes you need a permit to collect, sometimes you don't. The purpose of the scheme is to offset the high price of commercial firewood and to prevent people poaching timber from sensitive areas, whatever a sensitive area might be.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Title_II » 26 Apr 2016, 4:09 pm

Why don't they just mark trees for you to cut? That's the way we thin and/or utilize public forests around here. They mark the trees they don't like and we go in and cut them.

But I don't have a stove now and all my friends have lots of land anyway, so I wouldn't need any public land trees. I could probably get a pizza and a six pack of beer for helping cut down a really big tree worth a year's wood LOL.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Apr 2016, 4:21 pm

We have the situation in Victoria where the public land manager can not effectively manage the land, much of it is degraded, weed and blackberry infest, yet the taking of firewood is highly regulated, even in the areas set aside you cant just take anything dependent on the moss coverage and whether there's a hollow - it would be -cough- -spit- something these enviro crusader refer to as "habitat"....

There are many many households outside of the urban areas that rely on solid fuel to heat with.... that are simply too isolated to hook up to natural gas infrastructure, and the official govt program is to 'wean' these environmental vandals of 'dirty polluting' wood....and save the forests for the yellow bellied tree swinging wim wom.... and of course the lead beaters possum... for the sake of not utilising a resource that would otherwise rot.... we will pay hundreds of millions of dollars to pipe gas to every home - thats what I think anyhoo, and give the reds another term, it will happen
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 27 Apr 2016, 3:29 am

Most of the US does not have gas, either. I don't have gas. It's not any different. Most people in my area have stoves. They can use wood or coal. Other people have pellet stoves, that use wood pellets. I don't have a stove, I can't figure out a good place to put one. I have electric and I also have an oil tank and pay to have oil delivered. One of my mates has a fireplace, a stove, and propane tanks.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey