What to do when spotting deer

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

What to do when spotting deer

Post by 5Tom » 05 May 2016, 7:30 am

So after a recent hunting trip mainly Roo culling on private property, we had intel that some deer were frequent in the paddocks and I was keen for it.

However, being only two of us (driver and shooter) I had my .22 in the front with me and my .243/.30 cal in the boot (driving a kluger). So spotlighting around and we came across two does about 200m away and knowing the .22 is impractical for deer, I needed the bigger rifles.

First thing I thought was to turn off all the lights. I was exited since this was going to be my first opportunity to get a deer. The deer I believe would have been alarmed at this point but stood still.

Got out quietly, snuck around the back to the boot, fiddled around to get my torch on my rifle and by the time I was able to scan the field, they were gone.

So what would have been the best approach for this situation? Next time I'll have the rifles ready in the back seat within an arms reach!
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: What to do when spotting deer

Post by Gwion » 05 May 2016, 7:45 am

Maybe leave the lights on, keep track of the animal and spend less time screwing with a rifle mounted torch.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 05 May 2016, 7:55 am

Id probably get the big rifle out first before putting myself in that situation.. but thats just me
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Chronos » 05 May 2016, 8:29 am

Sit and watch them for a while and try and learn something, not allowed to spotlight deer in NSW :thumbsup:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by 5Tom » 05 May 2016, 9:44 am

Had to use the torch to spot light so it's fitted with a quick release mount and waving the rifle around in the car isn't a good idea lol.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 May 2016, 10:27 am

Chronos wrote:Sit and watch them for a while and try and learn something, not allowed to spotlight deer in NSW :thumbsup:

Chronos

Are you saying HE cant or YOU cant spotlight in NSW??

As far as I'm aware you CAN spotlight Deer in QLD.... as you can in VIC (on private property when 'controlling' them)

But yes 5Tom, have the rifle ready next time, or have someone keep the light on the deer.... what were you doing culling with the 22 anyway? do you mean centrefire 22??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by pomemax » 05 May 2016, 10:37 am

So if i read this thread right in Queensland you can spotlight deer on private land and only need your shooting licence. is that right ?
weired the laws beteeen states how they differ in NSW you cant spotlight as Chronos said and you need a game licence .
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/content/hunti ... can-i-hunt .
This could be dangerous if your hunting interstate
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 05 May 2016, 11:28 am

pomemax wrote:So if i read this thread right in Queensland you can spotlight deer on private land and only need your shooting licence. is that right ?
weired the laws beteeen states how they differ in NSW you cant spotlight as Chronos said and you need a game licence .
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/content/hunti ... can-i-hunt .
This could be dangerous if your hunting interstate

Yeah it's important to be aware of regulations if you travel to another state.

In Qld where the op is deer are declared as a pest species but in NSW they're an introduced game species. Therefore "fair chase" regulations apply.

Deer hunting regulations

When hunting deer, hunters must not use:
spotlights, artificial lights (including infrared devices) or electronic devices that enhance vision or hearing
sights that project a beam or recorded sounds
baits, lures, decoys or live animals (except deer callers and planted crops)
an aircraft, watercraft or motor vehicle.
Other special conditions on deer hunting include:
deer may only be hunted during daylight hours (from half an hour before sunrise up to half an hour after sunset)
dogs may only be used to locate, point or flush deer and must not chase the deer. Scent trailing hounds are not permitted to be used in NSW
a person hunting alone may use one dog to hunt deer or a group may use up to two dogs to hunt deer.

Note that as well as saying spotlights and infra red illumination it also says "electronic devices that improve vision or hearing" could a digital camera with high magnification be considered here if you're searching an area from a distance? What about electronic ear muffs? They certainly improve hearing

Is also says "baits, lures with the exception of planted crops. So grain feeders are a no no for deer, pigs are fair game though

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 05 May 2016, 11:34 am

5Tom wrote:waving the rifle around in the car isn't a good idea lol.

Barrel down between your feet unloaded is a perfectly safe way of transporting firearms, its been done that way for many years in all forms of transport

Edit: obviously this is on private property or certain circumstances we all know Australian/state laws
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 May 2016, 12:55 pm

WHY do you insist of confusing the matter by referring to NSW and pasting NSW regs??? Did the OP query NSW? is he from there? If you move your eyes over to beneath the avatar it say Queensland.... which is not NSW.

Yes, differing regs could be an issue if you're moving from state to state... but most people are able to quickly work out the laws of the respective lands...

thanks for your co-operation :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by 5Tom » 05 May 2016, 12:56 pm

Roos can be taken down quite humainely with a .22 from no more than 50m with a good headshot. 75m is stretching it, but my Lithgow proved it an easy task. The .243 and 91/30 for the longer range.

To clarify, the rifles were between my feet during transportation, but I needed my torch to spot then attach/detach before and after shooting.

Back on topic though, if I had kept the light on the deer, would the deer have stayed put a bit longer or would they run anyway if they hear too much noise? (I was trying to be as quiet as possible)
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 05 May 2016, 4:03 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:WHY do you insist of confusing the matter by referring to NSW and pasting NSW regs??? Did the OP query NSW? is he from there? If you move your eyes over to beneath the avatar it say Queensland.... which is not NSW.

Yes, differing regs could be an issue if you're moving from state to state... but most people are able to quickly work out the laws of the respective lands...

thanks for your co-operation :thumbsup:

I didn't know the op was from Queensland until pomemax mentioned it.

On the mobile page there is no location shown like on the desktop page

I'm in nsw and I answered the OP with what I (in NSW) would do, sit and watch then I qualified that by stating I'm in nsw and mentioned it's not legal to spotlight deer here in the hope that no body would be silly enough to incriminate themselves by admitting to something against the law where they live

I'm not sure what your problem is but if my attempts to bring some good referenced information to this forum make you so agro maybe you should add me to your foes list :unknown:

Thanks for your co-operation, :violin:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by WayneO » 05 May 2016, 5:39 pm

Most times animals will stay close to where they are if you have a spotlight on them. In areas where they are not shot over lights very often they will stay within the light area for long periods without moving away.
I would have kept the light on them and gotten out to get the other rifle, they would probably not have moved more than 20 or 30m while you were getting yourself organised.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 May 2016, 5:53 pm

So after pomemax mentioned it.... you still posted the NSW specific info??

At least edit it and state : THIS IS NSW REG INFO...

but no worries fella, I would never 'foe' someone... there'd be little else for entertainment around here :friends:
btw, turn the phone 90 degrees and you should see the location...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by 5Tom » 05 May 2016, 6:54 pm

Thanks WayneO - I guess the deer took the opportunity to flee once we killed the lights, as I was hoping to have not alerted them more than I already had. I had a deer call but I as I already mentioned, wasn't ready to target deer.

Thanks for the other responses, definitely something to consider, considering we were close to the NSW border, but still in QLD.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 05 May 2016, 7:08 pm

Regardless of state laws, I personally would never hunt deer under a light (unless it was purely for culling / destruction purposes)

Deer are generally quite dumb under lights, and that is just plain unsportsmanlike to do so. (my two bobs worth)

I think the minimum recommended caliber for roos is or was somewhere around .243 or 22/250
I don't think the .222 actually made the list.

It may have changed as it was several years ago when I last checked.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2016, 9:06 pm

"btw, turn the phone 90 degrees and you should see the location..."
Never noticed that before. Lol

PS being polite is free.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 05 May 2016, 9:11 pm

well 5TOM, You've confused me as to where the 243/30 actually was. In the 1st post it was in the boot and next post the rifles were between my feet. What is a .243/30 and 91/30 anyway?

I think you may be mistaken as to the legality of using a 22LR on the larger Roo species. See the following code of practice:-

http://bawp.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2 ... labies.pdf

AND

https://www.environment.gov.au/node/16657#fir

Cheers.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 May 2016, 9:38 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Regardless of state laws, I personally would never hunt deer under a light (unless it was purely for culling / destruction purposes)

Deer are generally quite dumb under lights, and that is just plain unsportsmanlike to do so. (my two bobs worth)

I think the minimum recommended caliber for roos is or was somewhere around .243 or 22/250

I tend to recall the code of practice minimum was 222rem 50gr... or thereabouts
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 May 2016, 9:38 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Regardless of state laws, I personally would never hunt deer under a light (unless it was purely for culling / destruction purposes)

I tend to recall the code of practice minimum was 222rem 50gr... or thereabouts
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by 5Tom » 05 May 2016, 10:26 pm

RoginaJack wrote:well 5TOM, You've confused me as to where the 243/30 actually was. In the 1st post it was in the boot and next post the rifles were between my feet. What is a .243/30 and 91/30 anyway?

I think you may be mistaken as to the legality of using a 22LR on the larger Roo species. See the following code of practice:-

http://bawp.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2 ... labies.pdf

AND

https://www.environment.gov.au/node/16657#fir

Cheers.

I had my Lithgow LA101 .22LR with me in the front, my Tikka T3 .243 and Mosin Nagant 91/30 in the boot.
Well then, I guess rules are rules but I think a well placed shot to the brain did the same job.

Anyway, this thread was about Deer and what to do once they've been startled...
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 May 2016, 8:55 am

I had my Lithgow LA101 .22LR with me in the front, my Tikka T3 .243 and Mosin Nagant 91/30 in the boot.
Well then, I guess rules are rules but I think a well placed shot to the brain did the same job.

Anyway, this thread was about Deer and what to do once they've been startled...

Where your guns were is your business.....when you see the Deer - shoot it...

...then brag about it here and show us the pics :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by RoginaJack » 06 May 2016, 2:54 pm

Then why mention "roo Culling"?

PS. What you think is unimportant; it's what the rules and regulations state that are important.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Rocker » 09 May 2016, 9:09 am

RoginaJack wrote:PS. What you think is unimportant; it's what the rules and regulations state that are important.

Yep.

I don't agree with them all but they are what they are, and that's what you've gotta do for now.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bosbefok » 09 May 2016, 12:21 pm

In my spotlighting experience, animals are stunned/blinded by the bright light shining into their eyes. They tend not to move. We used to creep around blinded rabbits and dispatch them with a .410 in my youth. The closer you got the bigger the backflip. If you spot the animal and then take the spotlight off of them, they regain their sight and retreat. In my opinion hunting under spotlight is not hunting but rather shooting and should be reserved for pests only. Not really a fair chase.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Khan » 10 May 2016, 3:34 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:...then brag about it here and show us the pics :thumbsup:

Then invite us over for burgers :D
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by WayneO » 13 May 2016, 5:00 pm

Bosbefok wrote:In my spotlighting experience, animals are stunned/blinded by the bright light shining into their eyes. They tend not to move. We used to creep around blinded rabbits and dispatch them with a .410 in my youth. The closer you got the bigger the backflip. If you spot the animal and then take the spotlight off of them, they regain their sight and retreat. In my opinion hunting under spotlight is not hunting but rather shooting and should be reserved for pests only. Not really a fair chase.

Ek moet sê ek stem saam met jou.
Except when you have to cull, that's another ball game all together.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 14 May 2016, 2:58 pm

All this talk about Deer has made me hungry :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bosbefok » 22 Jun 2016, 11:49 am

WayneO wrote:
Bosbefok wrote:In my spotlighting experience, animals are stunned/blinded by the bright light shining into their eyes. They tend not to move. We used to creep around blinded rabbits and dispatch them with a .410 in my youth. The closer you got the bigger the backflip. If you spot the animal and then take the spotlight off of them, they regain their sight and retreat. In my opinion hunting under spotlight is not hunting but rather shooting and should be reserved for pests only. Not really a fair chase.

Ek moet sê ek stem saam met jou.
Except when you have to cull, that's another ball game all together.

Ek is 'n soutie (Damn auto correct ). Show me the person that needs to cull because I'm running low on biltong!
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by POD89 » 22 Jun 2016, 12:11 pm

I just envy all this deer hunting talk.

WA is near impossible to shoot deer.

you can not shoot deer unless its on your property in WA.
This is because they are considered "vermin" not "game" which I think is personally silly.
But that's a totally different can of worms and i have some strong feelings about it.

If i saw a deer on one of the local farms i shoot on, i'd just about sh*t my self with excitement.
The fact that you guys actually pull yourselves together and make a plan to stalk, track etc baffles me.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes..."
POD89
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey